Sign in to follow this  
rwalkowiak1

EMU > Stanford > Michigan

I am curious if some of these Michigan guys will ever develop. For the teams sake I wish they would redshirt guys and just take it one year kind of how Oklahoma did last year. Adam Coon would benefit from a redshirt, he will probably be a 12-16 kid this year but has no chance against a guy like Nelson, Telford, Gwiaz

I am curious if some of these Michigan guys will ever develop. For the teams sake I wish they would redshirt guys and just take it one year kind of how Oklahoma did last year. Adam Coon would benefit from a redshirt, he will probably be a 12-16 kid this year but has no chance against a guy like Nelson, Telford, Gwiaz

Uh oh, you just set yourself up for a 16 paragraph diatribe about how UofM is above the way redshirts are used by OTHER schools. Wreferee will make sure you understand that you have NO right to second guess these decisions as EVERYTHING UofM does is altruistic and their student athletes, coaches and the decisions they make are above reproach. Good luck!

I do find it funny that I was blasted for questioning certain wrestlers not RSing last year and they ended up RSing this year!

Actually, with a closer look, Stanford started different wrestlers at 125, 141, 157, 174, and 197. That's 5 weight classes. It looks like 3 of those weights had won against Michigan and lost against EMU with different starters including #17 ranked Evan Silver who beat #11 Conor Youtsey and didn't wrestle against Germaine of EMU.

What's up with that? Weight issues? Injuries? Are they still figuring out the line up after 6 duals?

Actually, with a closer look, Stanford started different wrestlers at 125, 141, 157, 174, and 197. That's 5 weight classes. It looks like 3 of those weights had won against Michigan and lost against EMU with different starters including #17 ranked Evan Silver who beat #11 Conor Youtsey and didn't wrestle against Germaine of EMU.

What's up with that? Weight issues? Injuries? Are they still figuring out the line up after 6 duals?

I agree that it is probably just getting kids matches on the trip.

Lets be honest, in the current structure there is no incentive to win the dual other than just pride. I would get kids matches and some dual experience on the trips too.

Uh oh, you just set yourself up for a 16 paragraph diatribe about how UofM is above the way redshirts are used by OTHER schools. Wreferee will make sure you understand that you have NO right to second guess these decisions as EVERYTHING UofM does is altruistic and their student athletes, coaches and the decisions they make are above reproach. Good luck!

I do find it funny that I was blasted for questioning certain wrestlers not RSing last year and they ended up RSing this year!

I don't think anyone's said that Michigan is above the way redshirts are used at other schools.

I for one, certainly don't have problems with criticism per se. It's only when people make statements that make it sound like the correct choice is ridiculously obvious to all the world and that people should lose their jobs for making certain decisions, when in fact, the situation is quite a bit more difficult that one would think.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it would have been best to redshirt Coon. The problem is that he is currently the ONLY heavyweight on the team, with no one suitable at 197 to bump up (one of them is also a true freshmen), and no transfer to fill in January. So he's going to learn quickly, and so far is doing a good job. Not the best situation, but that's the way it is.

Purely and simply: With minor exceptions (Coon, Latora & Huntley), the hometown wrestlers were outwrestled and outcoached, today. Their only other win (by Grajales) was a yawner marred by an appropriate unnecessary roughness call precipitated by "frustration" evidenced because a more serious effort to earn bonus points earlier was nonexistent. Similarly, Youtsey "started" too late. Bruno did okay keeping it close with a legitimate stud. Salazar, as usual, found a way to lose (and BIG). Yates underestimated a frosh who quite clearly was unimpressed and more ready to work. Ralston wrestled like a rookie -- wasting time (complaining to no one in particular) that he had no solutions for his inability to score. And Heald just plain came up short.

Take note: Those Borelli guys coach as well as or better than they recruit.

Side note: Although a RS discussion is otherwise irrelevant to this discussion (see insightful Sheerstress comments above), the only pin (which along with Yates' lackluster performance sealed the win for Stanford) occurred against a more "experienced" wrestler who was bested by our RS frosh, Murphy.

I don't think anyone's said that Michigan is above the way redshirts are used at other schools.

I don't think anyone would disagree that it would have been best to redshirt Coon. The problem is that he is currently the ONLY heavyweight on the team, with no one suitable at 197 to bump up (one of them is also a true freshmen), and no transfer to fill in January. So he's going to learn quickly, and so far is doing a good job. Not the best situation, but that's the way it is.

I started a topic a while back, after the season ended, about Michigan's decision to start it's high profile true freshman last year and whether to call it a mistake. Go back and look at what Wreferee posted on the 2nd page of the topic. He even listed certain schools having different expectations from their recruits and then went on to talk about how successful some of the people who didn't RS have become after they graduated. I don't have any issue with UofM wrestling as it is the only sport where I openly cheer for UofM to do well. When former Michigan high school wrestlers end up at UofM I will even cheer against MSU if the MSU wrestler is not from the State of Michigan. I simply had an issue with the tone of Wreferee's posts and have a hard time believing he would ignore lunatcifringe's post. I can guarantee you he won't ignore mine!

As a side note, I would like to say I wish ALL wrestler's the best after their wrestling careers are over. Yet, as a fan, I think it is MORE than fair for me to question decisions that look like they put a super talented wrestler on the mat too early. Add in the fact that most, if not all, knowledgeable fans expected 4 AA finishes out of Massa and have similar expectations from Coon, I think you end up with a legitimate question.