Sign in to follow this  
TwosackJon

Iowa vs. Penn State Predictions

I tried to come up with something, but all I can see right now is that the duel is going to be extremely entertaining. Going to be a few key close matches that are too tough for me to call, maybe some others can share thoughts.

125 - Megaludis may have a slight advantage to win this bout, but ealry season Mega has been known to drop a match here and there. Toss Up.

133 - Ramos by major, if not more.

141 - I really want to see some more of Retherford first, especially against Stieber. Right now I say this is a close one. Toss Up.

149 - According to the PSU homer board A. Alton maybe back, but I still have to guess right now he won't be. Kelly beats Beitz by dec.

157 - D. Alton or not DSJ picks up three here.

165 - Taylor by Tech again, or pinfaII.

174 - Another toss up between Brown and Evans.

184 - Ruth by maj if he is, in fact, back in action.

197 - McIntosh by maj.

HWT - Telford by dec.

That puts it all even at 13 a piece if everyone gets the bonus points I see. The three swing matches will be edge of the seat. I can't wait for this dual. Obviously, a huge impact if Ruth can't wrestle.

I am confident Penn State wins more than the three matches you have on their side of the ledger.

Mega will be favored. Jeva vs. Retherford will be really interesting. I expect Retherford to be undefeated until he meets Logan Stieber. He could lose to Stieber and still acquit himself nicely, or Stieber could stick him in under 30 seconds. Either way he will be motivated against Jeva. I expect DSJ to win. Brown vs. Evans might be crazy as that one could determine the winner.

125: Clark is the real deal, but you can't pick a freshman over a 2x finalist. 3-0 PSU

133: Ramos will put a beating on whomever they send out. Major is definite. However, Iowa may need more than that to win. 4-3 IOWA

141: Tough call. Carver Hawkeye is a big factor. Gut tells me Retherford wins a close one. 6-4 PSU

149: Carver Hawkeye factors in here. Kelly will prove himself. Don't care who PSU sends out. 7-6 IOWA

157: St. John wins comfortably 10-6 IOWA

165: Taylor wins by tech 11-10 PSU

174: Doesn't get more evenly matched. Carver Hawkeye gives the edge to Evans. 13-11 IOWA

184: Ruth majors Lofthouse 15-13 PSU

197: DUAL DECIDING MATCH UP. Burak hasn't been wrestling so I have to give the edge to McIntosh. I do believe Burak at 100% could win this match. 18-13 PSU

285: Telford needs a pin to win. Not Likely. 18-16 PSU

Obviously, I figured the above with the best possible guy at each weight. Injuries and/or suspensions could come into play. PSU definitely wins if they hold serve. Iowa needs a couple upsets, without being upset, to win. I HATE to predict the OPPOSITE of what Flyingtiger would expect but I am not closeminded like he is!

Hey, if I didn't just give you a hard time in the other thread, you would of picked Iowa :)

Altons, Telford and Burak are all currently out of commission. Just too soon to try to pick. I do like how PSU matches up overall, but at Iowa on Saturday night in front of a full house does count for something.

I tried to come up with something, but all I can see right now is that the duel is going to be extremely entertaining. Going to be a few key close matches that are too tough for me to call, maybe some others can share thoughts.

125 - Megaludis may have a slight advantage to win this bout, but ealry season Mega has been known to drop a match here and there. Toss Up.

141 - I really want to see some more of Retherford first, especially against Stieber. Right now I say this is a close one. Toss Up.

149 - According to the PSU homer board A. Alton maybe back, but I still have to guess right now he won't be. Kelly beats Beitz by dec.

197 - McIntosh by maj.

HWT - Telford by dec.

That puts it all even at 13 a piece if everyone gets the bonus points I see. The three swing matches will be edge of the seat. I can't wait for this dual. Obviously, a huge impact if Ruth can't wrestle.

#1 it's a dual, not a duel. A duel is what Alexander Hamilton lost against Aaron Burr. A dual is a head-to-head set of wrestling matches between two teams.

#2 There's a reason I'm flying up just for this.

125 - Clark dec Megaludis IA 3 PSU 0

133 - Ramos maj Gulibon IA 7 PSU 0

141 - Dziewa dec Rutherford IA 10 PSU 0

149 - Alston dec Kelly IA 10 PSU 3

157 - St John dec Alton IA 13 PSU 3

165 - Taylor tech Moore IA 13 PSU 8

174 - Evans dec Brown IA 16 PSU 8

184 - Ruth maj Lofthouse IA 16 PSU 12

197 - McIntosh dec Burak IA 16 PSU 15

HWT - Telford dec Lawson/Gingrich IA 19 PSU 15

It's the Hawkeyes 19 and the Nittany Lions 15

MSU, you honestly believe Kelly would beat Andrew? If Andrew wrestles I think he beats Kelly comfortably.

Yes, I truly do.

1.) I have heard about, and witnessed, significant Kelly improvement.

2.) Alton disintegrated at the end of last year.

3.) Recent surgery has to SERIOUSLY hinder the conditioning Alton DESPERATELY needs.

4.) Carver Hawkeye is a Major factor.

5.) Kelly is an energizer bunny. If he can weather the 1st period storm, which I think he can, I think he puts it to Alton in the 3rd period like Conaway did to Graff.

197 - McIntosh by maj.

HWT - Telford by dec.

We might see Dylan wrestle here but prob not Andrew. Dylan seems to be further along in his rehab

MSU, you honestly believe Kelly would beat Andrew? If Andrew wrestles I think he beats Kelly comfortably.

Yes, I truly do.

1.) I have heard about, and witnessed, significant Kelly improvement.

2.) Alton disintegrated at the end of last year.

3.) Recent surgery has to SERIOUSLY hinder the conditioning Alton DESPERATELY needs.

4.) Carver Hawkeye is a Major factor.

5.) Kelly is an energizer bunny. If he can weather the 1st period storm, which I think he can, I think he puts it to Alton in the 3rd period like Conaway did to Graff.

I guess I will believe it when I see kit. Andrew was suspended for a month last year and when he came back he was gassing right out of the gate and he still majored Grothus. As of a month ago Iowa fans weren't sure Kelly would beat out Grothus.

I'll admit afterwards if this turns lout to be wrong, but if Andrew is healthy enough to wrestle he will beat Mike Kelly.

Thanks for the clarification, SHP. Not that I needed a lesson from you, just typing fast. I guess if you need to make yourself feel better you can always nit pick someone's grammEr.

Understood, but there are other people who do need the lessons. See it enough times in a press release, and it becomes like one of NWMA President Jason Bryant's "favorite" words.

Thanks for the clarification, SHP. Not that I needed a lesson from you, just typing fast. I guess if you need to make yourself feel better you can always nit pick someone's grammEr.

Understood, but there are other people who do need the lessons. See it enough times in a press release, and it becomes like one of NWMA President Jason Bryant's "favorite" words.

I think it would be acceptable to say, "PSU is set to duel IOWA in a dual meet."

Mega WBD Clark PSU- 3 IA-0

Gulibon WBD Ramos PSU-6 IA-0 "Not a typo you heard it here first"

Dziewa WBD Retherford PSU 6-IA-3

Alton WBD Kelly PSU-9 IA-3

St. John WBD Alton PSU 9-IA-6

Taylor WBF Moore PSU-15 IA-6

Brown WBD Evans PSU-18-IA-6

Ruth WBMD Lofthouse PSU 22 IA-6

Burak WBD Mcintosh PSU-22 IA-9

Telford WBD Lawson PSU-22 IA-12

I think it would be acceptable to say, "PSU is set to duel IOWA in a dual meet."

HA!

One more example of the duality of man.

Mega WBD Clark PSU- 3 IA-0

Gulibon WBD Ramos PSU-6 IA-0 "Not a typo you heard it here first"

Dziewa WBD Retherford PSU 6-IA-3

Alton WBD Kelly PSU-9 IA-3

St. John WBD Alton PSU 9-IA-6

Taylor WBF Moore PSU-15 IA-6

Brown WBD Evans PSU-18-IA-6

Ruth WBMD Lofthouse PSU 22 IA-6

Burak WBD Mcintosh PSU-22 IA-9

Telford WBD Lawson PSU-22 IA-12

He can barely beat Conaway. Good luck with that.

125 - Mega dec. Clark 3-1 SV

133 - Ramos maj. dec. Gulibon 12-4

141 - Retherford dec. Dziewa 6-3

149 - Kelly dec. Beitz/English 5-4

157 - DSJ dec. D. Alton 3-1

165 - DT tech fall Moore 20-4 (TF; 5:35)

174 - Brown dec. Evans 5-3

184 - Ruth maj. dec. Lofthouse 18-5

197 - McIntosh dec. Burak 8-3

285 - Telford dec. Lawson 3-2

PSU 21 Iowa 13

125: Megaludis DEC Clark

133: Ramos FALL Gulibon

141: Dziewa DEC Retherford

149: Whoever DEC Kelly

157: DSJ DEC Alton/Vollrath

165: Taylor FALL Moore

174: Evans DEC Brown

184: Ruth MDEC Lofthouse

197: McIntosh DEC Burak

HW: Telford DEC Lawson

19-18 Penn State

125-Clark 3-0 (I think he's the real deal)

133-Ramos 9-0 (he wrestles his absolute best here and pins either)

141-Retherford 9-3

149-Kelly 12-3

157-DSJ 15-3

165-Taylor 15-8

174-Evans 18-8

184-Ruth 18-13

197-McIntosh 18-16 (toss up, I think Burak could establish himself very well here)

285-Telford 21-16

Match really depends upon 125 and 174 but I have to pick the home guys. PSU is still the best team in the land, Iowa just matches up very well and has the best home advantage in all of sports.

Mega Dec Clark 3-0 PSU Clark's first big test of the year...I think it will be close

Ramos Mdec Gulibon 4-3 Iowa Huge for PSU if its kept to a decision, equally huge for Iowa if Ramos gets the fall

Retherford dec Dziewa 6-4 PSU Big test for both....will be interested to see how Dziewa fares against Port

Kelly dec Beitz 7-6 Iowa If English or Alton goes I think its a dec for PSU

DSJ dec D. Alton 10-6 Iowa Same result if Vollrath goes

Taylor MDec Moore 10-10 Taylor could score more here...but I'm trying to account for the "Carver magic"

Brown dec Evans 13-10 PSU Very much a tossup

Ruth dec Lofthouse 16-10 Ruth may be a little rusty going into this one, and Lofthouse has kept it close before

Burak dec McIntosh 16-13 Iowa There is going to be an upset somewhere in this match, and this really isn't much of an upset.

Telford dec Lawson 16-16 PSU wins by criteria.

Burak dec McIntosh 16-13 Iowa There is going to be an upset somewhere in this match, and this really isn't much of an upset.

Really? What results seem to tell you this? Practice room reports? Actual results on the mat seem to dictate otherwise.

Nate Burak and Jordan Conaway have gotten the most mileage out of R12, 20 win seasons that I've ever seen. Not that they aren't good wrestlers, but the list of guys these two beat last year at NCAAs doesn't exactly strike fear. Burak - Scheidel, Fox, Palik (OT); loses to Gonzales and Kilgore; Conaway - Hyder, Harder, Bruno; loses to Dellafave and Brewer.

You would think both of these guys are the next coming with the props they get on these boards.

McIntosh just majored (and hammered) two guys that Burak lost to last year in Bennett and Bolich. It would be an upset.