Sign in to follow this  
TwosackJon

Iowa vs. Penn State Predictions

MSU, you honestly believe Kelly would beat Andrew? If Andrew wrestles I think he beats Kelly comfortably.

Yes, I truly do.

1.) I have heard about, and witnessed, significant Kelly improvement.

2.) Alton disintegrated at the end of last year.

3.) Recent surgery has to SERIOUSLY hinder the conditioning Alton DESPERATELY needs.

4.) Carver Hawkeye is a Major factor.

5.) Kelly is an energizer bunny. If he can weather the 1st period storm, which I think he can, I think he puts it to Alton in the 3rd period like Conaway did to Graff.

msu, Kelly lost to Luke Goettl today. You still like him over Andrew Alton?

MSU, you honestly believe Kelly would beat Andrew? If Andrew wrestles I think he beats Kelly comfortably.

Yes, I truly do.

1.) I have heard about, and witnessed, significant Kelly improvement.

2.) Alton disintegrated at the end of last year.

3.) Recent surgery has to SERIOUSLY hinder the conditioning Alton DESPERATELY needs.

4.) Carver Hawkeye is a Major factor.

5.) Kelly is an energizer bunny. If he can weather the 1st period storm, which I think he can, I think he puts it to Alton in the 3rd period like Conaway did to Graff.

msu, Kelly lost to Luke Goettl today. You still like him over Andrew Alton?

Against an Alton who struggled mightily in the 3rd period last year, who has just had surgery and has yet to wrestle a match this year and should gas even worse than he did last year? Against an Alton at Carver Hawkeye where the match could very likely decide the dual? Yes, I still think Kelly can win since a last second takedown win from Alton is considerably less likely.

My picking Kelly has never been about Kelly being better than Alton. Alton 100% AND more importanly conditioned properly I WOULD NOT pick Kelly to win.

Against an Alton who struggled mightily in the 3rd period last year, who has just had surgery and has yet to wrestle a match this year and should gas even worse than he did last year? Against an Alton at Carver Hawkeye where the match could very likely decide the dual? Yes, I still think Kelly can win since a last second takedown win from Alton is considerably less likely.

Just so that you know, Andrew did not "just have" that surgery. That surgery was quite some time ago now, and he has been rehabbing for quite a while. Also, he was gassing last year only after coming back from suspension and in the Iowa match, at Carver, he majored Brody Grothus and scored a 3rd period takedown in the process. That match wasn't anything like what you are expecting could occur.

My picking Kelly has never been about Kelly being better than Alton. Alton 100% AND more importanly conditioned properly I WOULD NOT pick Kelly to win.

OK, that makes sense to me. And I would agree with it too. I don't expect Andrew to wrestle unless he is ready to go 3 full periods. If not, expect to see English or Beitz.

As a PSU homer, I have to agree with MSU. A healthy, non gassing AA wins this by a major or better. But when the gas tank hits E, it's not exactly a bum on the other side he is wrestling. I'm sure he is more than capable of taking advantage over a dead opponent. I truly hope their gas tanks are better as I think he could be a legitimate contender to win it all.

125: Megaludis dec. Clark - Clark is game. Megaludis is proven on the big stage. He takes it. (3-0 PSU)

133: Ramos dec. Guilbon - Same analysis as above. (3-3 Tie)

141: Retherford dec. Dziewa - Retherford is the best true freshman this year. Kid has grown into the weight and is a stud. (6-3 PSU)

149: English dec. Kelly - English was banged up pretty good early this year. Time off helps. Close victory. Kelly doesn't impress (9-3 PSU)

157: DSJ dec. Vollrath - PSU doesn't put Dylan out first match against defending champ. Save it for postseason. Vollrath can hold to a decision (9-6 PSU)

165: Taylor Tech Moore - Pretty self explanatory. Moore has no shot. (14-6 PSU)

174: Brown dec. Evans - Brown pulled a way a little at the end of last year. Working with Taylor & Ruth all day is better than Moore & Lofthouse. Continue to see the seperation. (17-6 PSU)

184: Ruth maj. Lofthouse - Lofthouse can keep it within 14 points, unless he gets pinned. Don't see it. (21-6 PSU)

197: McIntosh dec. Burak - I see McIntosh making the finals this year. Has grown into the weight. (24-6 PSU)

HWT: Telford dec. Lawson - Lawson looks improved this year. Telford is proven. Had him making finals last year until he was hurt. But it is heavies, the rarely score 8 points total, let alone win by 8. (24-9 PSU)

Sorry Iowa, this is not your year.

EDIT: If Telford can't go, Lawson wins. Widens the margin for PSU (27-6)

What if Iowa were to wrestle Gillman at 133 and bump Ramos to 141? How might that change things?

I don't think it changes a thing. Gillman would not be favored over Guilbon or Conaway up a weight and Ramos would still pick up the victory. I think it would be a silly move for Iowa, take the win with Ramos and go with the toss up between Dziewa and Retherford.

Thanks for the clarification, SHP. Not that I needed a lesson from you, just typing fast. I guess if you need to make yourself feel better you can always nit pick someone's grammEr.

Don't ever trust or believe anyone on this board that has a screen name that promotes a college that dropped wrestling. The guy that likes the college located in one of the most dangerous parts of New Jersey is a "closet wrestling hater."

Yes, don't trust anything I say. In fact, don't even trust that I exist. I may be a computer program just randomly spitting out random, useless information...

Anyway, on to the meet itself, and I think it could be ugly in the Nits' favor...

125: Megaludis, 3-0

133: Ramos, 3-3

141: Retherford, 6-3

149: Alton*/English, 9-3

157: St. John, 9-6

165: Taylor maj., 13-6

174: Brown, 16-6

184: Ruth, 19-6

197: McIntosh, 22-6

285: Telford, 22-9

*-If Alton goes, turn that decision into a fall, making the final 25-9.

Maybe the only saving grace could be Carver Magic.

There are 4 matches that are different levels of toss up. Clark could beat Megaludis. Dziewa could beat Retherford. Evans will beat Brown. Burak could beat McIntosh. You could make the argument that 157 is also a toss up, but that would likely be Alton's first (or very close to) match back and he's yet to beat St. John, so I think that's likely an Iowa win, but if you wanted to disagree, I won't fight you that hard.

Penn State just matches up better against Iowa than Minnesota or Oklahoma State. Granted, that's on paper which this early in the season means very little. All of the near toss-ups seem to favor PSU which is why they should be considered favorites in a dual, but it shouldn't surprise anyone if they lose. It's in Carver Hawkeye after all. Iowa could win up to 8 matches, I predict that they win 4 though.

There are 4 matches that are different levels of toss up. Clark could beat Megaludis. Dziewa could beat Retherford. Evans will beat Brown. Burak could beat McIntosh. You could make the argument that 157 is also a toss up, but that would likely be Alton's first (or very close to) match back and he's yet to beat St. John, so I think that's likely an Iowa win, but if you wanted to disagree, I won't fight you that hard.

Clark isn't even getting the nod against Edinboro. He got put on his back twice against Earl Hall and barely hung on for the win. He isn't beating Megaludis. As already stated, Burak got beat by 2 guys McIntosh smashed, and I would love to hear the reasoning that Evans WILL beat Brown.