Sign in to follow this  
RPKD

My E-mail to Tom Osborne re his succesor

Here is my contribution, in the hopes that Trev Alberts is not named successor to Coach Osborne. Hope other members of this BB will follow suit, as my e-mail will not be enough. Please send to Mr. Osborne's assistant at ahackbart@huskers.com

[table][tr][td][table][tr][td]Bob Mayeri [table][tr][td]ahackbart@huskers.com[/td][/tr][tr][td]cc:[/td][td] mmanning@huskers.com,

bsnyder@huskers.com,

tersland@huskers.com[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][/table][/td][td][/td][td][/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]

[blockquote]

Hello Ms. Hackbart,

I would greatly appreciate it if you you kindly forward this e-mail on to Coach Osborne. Thanking you in advance for your help. -

Hi Coach Osborne,

First of all, best wishes for your future retirement as I have no doubt you have earned it. As I am sure you know during the past 12 years two former Nebraska wrestlers have won GOLD MEDALS in the Olympic games. This is in addition to at least one SILVER MEDAL I can immediately recall, as well as countless other ALL AMERICAN honors and other accolades. However, I am concerned that these wrestling opportunities may no longer exist if Trev Alberts is appointed as your successor.

Although I do not know Mr. Alberts, personally, I can say from my familiarity with his dropping of the UNO wrestling program that I believe Mr. Alberts is not the best available candidate for this position. Rather than going into a long discussion for my reasons, I have simply copied and pasted the following message that I recently posted on one of the college wrestling bulletin boards. Although this (posting) represents my opinion, I am urging that you to at least look into the veracity of this perception, before you decide whether you wish to support Mr. Alberts as your successor. I believe that if my perceptions are in fact accurate that Mr. Alberts will inevitably do a disservice to the University of Nebraska, should be be appointed as AD. Thanking you in advance for your consideration in this matter.

Respectfully,

Bob Mayeri

[highlight=#e1ebf2]

[*:3hyqgmop]

[/highlight][blockquote]http://www.omaha.com/article/20110508/NEWS01/705089907/-1[/blockquote]

[highlight=#e1ebf2]Here....please read the above link which explains why TA dropped football and wrestling. For those of you that need a quick summary....football was dropped to facilitate the move to Division I. That was a strategic business decision, which is understandable. Moving to Division I will allow UNO to participate in March Madness, which obviously has a huge upside. However, dropping wrestling seemed like a move that was not critical to this process and that TA intends to replace it with soccer and golf. TA's purported reason was that the new DI conference for UNO did not support wrestling. HOWEVER, I believe everyone on this BB knows that the UNO wrestling team could have applied for and been accepted as an affiliate member in a variety of DI conferences, and the problem would have easily been solved. In fact it would have probably been less expensive than paying severance to the wrestling coaches and honoring scholarships. SO....when I look at this situation, coupled with the successful track record of UNO's wrestling program, I can only conclude that Trev Alberts HATES our sport![/highlight]

[/blockquote]

This whole Trev Alberts thing is a canard based upon an article that threw out a bunch of names as possible candidates.

Alberts hasn't interviewed and has zero chance of becoming the AD.

Jammen....hope you are right....but why take any chances!

RPKD:

My opinion: I think you (and others) should summarize the values of a wrestling program, how the sport can be made stronger and would do well to become more visible. And shortly discuss how numerous D1 programs have been dropped, while expressing your concern that it does not happen at Nebraska.

To basically campaign against a single individual, painting him as your enemy, seems suspect. And it could backfire. What if what he did at one school might seem like a good thing to eventually do at Nebraska as well?

Those are just my thoughts. You have probably already sent your e-mail.

JC

Thanks for your thoughts, JC. However, I have already sent out the e-mail and figured it best that I keep it short, since Coach Osborne probably receives a great deal of correspondence every day. However, I will say that I have concluded that TA is in fact an "enemy" of the sport. I also state this is just my opinion and only suggest that Coach Osborne do his own homework before making any recommendations. Hopefully, he will believe there are no hidden agenda's or personal animosity. What is probably most important, though is that everyone who feels the same way also give their thoughts to Coach Osborne, since I believe there is a consensus of opinion on this BB that TA in fact an "enemy" of our sport.

RPKD:

My opinion: I think you (and others) should summarize the values of a wrestling program, how the sport can be made stronger and would do well to become more visible. And shortly discuss how numerous D1 programs have been dropped, while expressing your concern that it does not happen at Nebraska.

To basically campaign against a single individual, painting him as your enemy, seems suspect. And it could backfire. What if what he did at one school might seem like a good thing to eventually do at Nebraska as well?

Those are just my thoughts. You have probably already sent your e-mail.

JC