Sign in to follow this  
BigApple

BEDLAM

It should be back to the intense levels of the 1850s-1980s on Sunday. Here is my take

125 Patterson redshirt sr. Vs. Kilmura (sp). Patterson is too good and seasoned. OU 3-0

133 Morrison vs. Brewer. Both were AAs last year for the first time. Morrison is a redshirt senior, Brewer is a redshirt sophomore. Morrison has beaten Brewer each time they've wrestled. Brewer is vastly better than he was last year. OU 6-0

141 Nick Lester redshirt senior who was an AA (8th) as a redshirt sophomore. Tore his ACL late last year, and didn't place. He hasn't managed his weight properly so far this year. Justin Felkert is a good quality walkon who was about a .500 wrestler last year. If he wrestles I pick Lester. However, i think John will pull Collica out of redshirt he's too good. OU 6-3

149 Kendric Mapke NCAA champ last year at 141 got a wakeup call early this season. He's returning to top form now. Josh Kindig redshirted last year. Two years ago his match with Maple was figured to be a tossup. Maple dominated and won by major decision. Same thing happens this time. OU 10-3

157 Alex Deringer 3rd last year as a redshirt freshman. I will not be surprised if he wins three NCAA titles. Justin DeAngelis finally owns the top spot as a redshirt junior. He looks good, but Alex is a stud. OU 10-7

165 Tyler Caldwell former Sooner 3-time AA, he doesn't do much, but with the exception of David Taylor and Jordan Burroughs i can't remember anyone beating him by more than 1 point. Clark Glass is a redshirt freshman looks like he'll become a very good one. Tyler is too tough OU 10-10

174 The match of the year, I hope this is the final match of the dual. First time that two guys who've already won NCAA titles meeting in Bedlam. Andrew Howe vs. Chris Perry. Howe has more offense he wins by 1 or 2 points. OU 13-10

BigApple-You're the only poster on this board who is old enough to remember the classic Bedlam duals of the 1850's when I assume President Lincoln was in attendance. You and a few Lehigh fans. Good stuff!

Here is the rest if my analysis.

184 This will be a meeting between wrestlers untested in Bedlam. For OU Danny Chaid Jr, he is a chip off the old block, better foot speed than his dad had, and he has his dad's mean streak. True freshman who is a big 184. He did spend last year at the OTC. OSU has three choices Jordan Rodgers who based on results so far is 3rd on the depth chart. Kyle Crutchmer lost to Nolan Boyd in the Orange and Black, but beat him last weekend. Boyd is bigger and good with legs (as is Chaid). Going on bloodlines and knowing the kid well I have to pick Danny Chaid Jr. OU 16-10

197 Travis Rutt transfer from Wisconsin former AA vs. Blake Rosholt former AA. Rutt is a bull, Rosholt isn't a great athlete, but smart wrestler. Rutt has to be patient, but shoud win. OU 19-10

285 Austin Marsden redshirt sophomore who was a medalist at the junior world freestyle championships. I think he'll be an AA this year. Ross Larson redshirt freshman from Ankeny Iowa was recruited as a 197, but has grown to 230-240. Very agile, very good with legs. Marsden should win, but if Larson gets him broken down with legs he could win. OU 19-13

I wish they could set aside 133 and 174 and wrestle these two last. These are the matches that should determine the outcome of the dual

Should be a full house for the first time in the 5 years since I moved back to Oklahoma. Bedlam is now used to market all athletics between OU and OSU these days. Back in the day (1970s) when someone said Bedlam they knew you were talking about wrestling.

I already bought my Bedlam tickets for Stillwater they should need to open up the upper deck.

My first was 1971. I saw all of them thru 1978 when I moved to AZ for 30 years. It was a shock to see McCasland fieldhouse which seats 3,500-4,500 not being close to sold out for Bedlam. Mark Cody coached at OSU twice he understands the rivalry and doesn't want to lose. He spoke last Wednesday to the Joe's Lunch Bunch which is primarily football players from the Bud Wilkinson era and wrestlers from the Port Robertson-Tommy Evans eras. He was a big hit. One of Port's former wrestlers said that there is some Port Robertson in Mark Cody. That immediately gained him quite a bit of credibility with that crowd. Port was the disciplinarian in the athletic department. He was also the freshman football coach for 17 years under Wilkinson and Gomer Jones. So all these guys had run the 72 rows of stadium steps at sometime for Port at 6 am because of some infraction. Had to do them in 15 seconds each time or they didn't count. The wreslers did 10 almost everyday after practice. I did them once as as Wayne Wells told me about the 4th one you feel like an elephant hopped on your back. After that experience I walked into the locker room laid on my side so I wouldn't drown in my own sweat. 30 minutes later i felt like taking a shower. Of course for most of practice i'd been wrestking with Bill Struve 250 vs my 190. Sincevi didn't need to run the stairs to get a meal in the dining hall, i never did them again. I was 26-27 and thought I was in good shape. I watched Wells run the entire stadium one day when it was in the 90s and about 80% humidity. I knew then no one would beat him at the 1972 Olympics because of conditioning.

I agree with all of your picks except 184. Chaid still needs a lot of development. I think he loses to any of the 3 guys from OSU. I hope he continues to work hard, along with Reed and Johnson, because those Dixon boys are coming.

My hardest pick was 197. I haven't been too impressed with Rutt, but Ive never been a believer in Rosholt... so Im sticking with Rutt.

Matches I'm most looking forward to are 133, 157, 174, and Hvy.

125 - Patterson dec Kilmara OU 3 OSU 0

133 - Morrison dec Brewer OU 3 OSU 3

141 - Lester dec Feikert OU 6 OSU 3

149 - Maple maj Kindig OU 10 OSU 3

157 - Deiringer FALL DeAngelis OU 10 OSU 9

165 - Caldwell maj Glass OU 10 OSU 13

174 - Howe dec Perry OU 13 OSU 13

184 - Chaid dec Rodgers OU 16 OSU 13

197 - Rutt maj Rosholt OU 20 OSU 13

HWT - Marsden dec Larson OU 20 OSU 16

Wasn't expecting that. Surprising myself here but picking Oklahoma over Oklahoma State 20 -16.

Well I guess you all will be surprised when Perry beats Howe Handily...5-2.

I also happen to think Perry would beat Howe in a freestyle match as well. He's already had more success in one summer of freestyle (at 84 kg no less) than Howe has had in the last three years.

I think highly of Chris Perry, but he won everyone of his matches at the 2013 NCAAs by 1 point. Howe was penalized twice for stalling on top of Matt Brown at the allstar meet. I've never seen Howe stall in any position. According to Linda Dixon the triplets mom, Andrew said he could stall once in awhile while working out with Perry, but that Howe never lets you stall for a second.

I am very much looking forward to the Dixon triplets, i certainly promoted OU and Mark Cody to them. They are great kids.

Chaid is much bigger than Rodgers and Krutchmer, i think he'd win because of that. Nolan Boyd has similar length. That would be the battle of redheads.

I am hoping ad expecting OU to win, but I've coached in meets where we won on the mat, but not on the scoreboard. Something unexpected always seems to happen.

I think Perry and Howe are very similar. Both do not really do a whole lot on offense, and basically just push the pace and keep solid position. I would bet on a ride out situation every time these two go at it. The slimest of advantages in OT will be the key.

Good to see this matchup back as one of the key matches to see this year. Should be a good one.

Snap, gotta agree with your Perry-Howe analysis. Not much action out of either, but damn hard to score points on either. I also see a 1-2 point, low scoring match.

Interested to see if Kindig gets things back on track. Has never really lived up to his potential at the college level.

Looks to be quite a few toss up matches. Which team will step up to the challenge?

Kinda surprised by some of the predictions....didnt expect OU to be so competitive.

Dieringer a 3-time NCAA Champ? You wouldn't be a relative? :-)

What's so ridiculous about that? Kids a hoss who was seconds away from beating DSJ and had a great summer. He's huge for 157, quick, has great partners, and a fabulous coach. Not saying he will but it's not out of the question

125 - Patterson dec Kilmara OU 3 OSU 0

133 - Morrison dec Brewer OU 3 OSU 3

141 - Lester dec Feikert OU 6 OSU 3

149 - Maple maj Kindig OU 10 OSU 3

157 - Deiringer FALL DeAngelis OU 10 OSU 9

165 - Caldwell maj Glass OU 10 OSU 13

174 - Howe dec Perry OU 13 OSU 13

184 - Chaid dec Rodgers OU 16 OSU 13

197 - Rutt maj Rosholt OU 20 OSU 13

HWT - Marsden dec Larson OU 20 OSU 16

Wasn't expecting that. Surprising myself here but picking Oklahoma over Oklahoma State 20 -16.

Rogers is 3rd on the depth chart as of lately. Do you know something we don't?

I am not a relative of Deringer. I first saw him a the junior national duals where he lost a couple of matches. A month later he wins juniors at Fargo. He is very powerful and does everything left handed. He cruised through the junior world team trials. Trust me as a Sooner I don't look forward to seeing him for three more seasons, but i trully think he is the next great one for OSU.

Morrison improved when he moved to 133, but has never become an offensive machine. Brewer now has excellent attacks to both sides and is much better on top than he was a year ago. Lightner and Cody both say he is the most improved wrestler on the team. Cody said Brewer is a junkie when it comes to technique he keeps learning new things almost daily.

The reason I think Rodgers must be 3rd is Krutchmer beat him at Central Missouri. Then Krutchmer beat Boyd at the Joe Parsi finals. So i'd say right now the ladder should be Krutchmet -1, Boyd -2, and Rodgers -3. Now maybe John's had additional ranking matches, but based on the Orange and Black meet, and two open tournaments i think my opinion is reasonable.

I am not a relative of Deringer. I first saw him a the junior national duals where he lost a couple of matches. A month later he wins juniors at Fargo. He is very powerful and does everything left handed. He cruised through the junior world team trials. Trust me as a Sooner I don't look forward to seeing him for three more seasons, but i trully think he is the next great one for OSU.

Morrison improved when he moved to 133, but has never become an offensive machine. Brewer now has excellent attacks to both sides and is much better on top than he was a year ago. Lightner and Cody both say he is the most improved wrestler on the team. Cody said Brewer is a junkie when it comes to technique he keeps learning new things almost daily.

The reason I think Rodgers must be 3rd is Krutchmer beat him at Central Missouri. Then Krutchmer beat Boyd at the Joe Parsi finals. So i'd say right now the ladder should be Krutchmet -1, Boyd -2, and Rodgers -3. Now maybe John's had additional ranking matches, but based on the Orange and Black meet, and two open tournaments i think my opinion is reasonable.

It should be back to the intense levels of the 1850s-1980s on Sunday.

I have a complaint with this statement. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University were both established in 1890. This would make it quite difficult for me to believe that Bedlam would have been that crazy 30+ years before either school admitted their first students.

Patterson dec 3-0 OU

Morrison dec 3-3

Lester dec 6-3 OU

Maple dec 9-3

Dieringer mdec 9-7

Caldwell dec 10-9 OSU

Howe dec 12-10 OU

Whoever from OSU dec 13-12

Rutt dec 15-13 OU

Marsden dec 16-15 OSU

I think the next most likely place for bonus points is OSU at 184 (especially if they went to Rogers, he may be 3rd but is a pinner). The only spot for OU bonus points is maybe 149 (or maybe 141 if Feikert wrestles and 141 is late in the dual for Lester to recover).

This just in from Tucson, Az…….

College wrestling

Live, in living color, on Sunday 12/1/13

1:00 pm to 3:00 pm

Comcast--chnl 263 FCSC

'Johnny Six Pak' takes his Cowboys to Norman for some good ole fashion Bedlam

Ohh my -- fun fun -- til Daddy takes the "T-Bird' away :o

It should be back to the intense levels of the 1850s-1980s on Sunday.

I have a complaint with this statement. The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University were both established in 1890. This would make it quite difficult for me to believe that Bedlam would have been that crazy 30+ years before either school admitted their first students.

Between the Indian Removals, Civil War issues, Cattle Ranch problems, and Land Rush matters all sorts of Bedlam was taking place in OK the 1850's and 1890's.

Yo Bench,

Direct TV ?

Hmm, I just don't really know. I have a guide attached with my comcast sports pkg. So,I scroll ahead to see what I will have in the way of wrestling, and stuff. I have seen,also ( I am so tired of using…. 'AS WELL'), that I will get the Pitt vs the Professor dual meet in the very near future. Wisconsin/Mich. and so on.