Sign in to follow this  
Ohio_Wrestling_Admin

141 This season

Is it just me, or is 141 looking like it could be absolutely insane this season? At seasons end last year, it seemed that 133 was going to be one of the GOAT weights, but with the mass exodus of competitors from 133 that is being reported (Oliver, Graff, Carter, Futrell, Keith- that is five all-americans moving up, wow) a weight that had the top three from last year graduate suddenly looks like 149 circa 2008 (Schlatter vs. Palmer for 7th place that year). Here's how I would have it ranked, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on weights. Several assumptions here. One, I won't believe that Oliver goes 149 until I see it. He's been a cutter his whole career, now to go 149 as a senior just doesn't make sense in my view. Two, Grajales is a 141 I think. He's been forced to wrestle up because of Russell his whole career and while he's been solid, hasn't lived up to his billing as a result. Why wouldn't he change things up? Finally, a caveat...non All-Americans Nick Dardanes and Sueflohn ahead of a couple of All-Americans is strictly opinion, I realize that Nevinger and Keith are AA's but in my view the other two are better.

1. Jordan Oliver

2. Kendric Maple

3. Tyler Graff

4. Eric Grajales

5. Michael Mangrum

6. Devin Carter

7. Hunter Stieber

8. BJ Futrell

9. Nick Dardanes

10. Jake Sueflohn

11. Mike Nevinger

12. Steven Keith

13. Tyler Small

14. Mitchell Port

However you have it ranked that is one hell of a weight class. Small and Port are both returning R12 guys and not in the Top 12 at this point imho......

Little known fact about Devin Carter.

He has never beaten both Stiebers in hs and college. Stiebers are 4-0 against Devin Carter.

So, I'm surprised to see Devin ahead of Hunter. Hunter had beaten him in Ironman years ago.

Feeling lucky for Devin this time?

He has never beaten both Stiebers in hs and college. Stiebers are 4-0 against Devin Carter.

So, I'm surprised to see Devin ahead of Hunter. Hunter had beaten him in Ironman years ago.

You're not going to believe this, but wrestlers don't stay at the exact same skill level from the first moment you saw them.

That said, I think Hunter's better.

Carter beat Hunter Stieber in the 2008 Ironman 112 final 8-4. Hunter had beaten him in the 103 Ironman final the year before. Carter made a third final in 2009 losing to Logan that time, 10-4 at 125.

Also in 2009 Hunter lost his final to Mason Beckman, 3-0.

If Oliver goes 149 then 141 is wide open. Maple would be a marginal favorite but one could argue persuasively for Magrum, Graff, and H. Stieber. I respectfully disagree with OWA on Grajales as he's a tremendous talent but he runs hot and cold. Is it certain that Graff will go 141? And will Grajales be making the cut?

Agree that Dardanes and Sueflohn--esp. Dardanes--should not be ignored.

My wildcard at 141 would be Henderson from UNC. If Kolat can fix some issues, he's tough.

Grajales has the ability and has shown it at various times. Michigan roster has him listed at 149 and Wisconsin roster has Graff at 133. Are these things accurate? Who knows? But Michigan's lineup is probably stronger with Dutton 141 and Grajales 149.

Well, I posted earlier that tOSU roster had Hunter at 149, so who knows.

Grajales has the ability and has shown it at various times. Michigan roster has him listed at 149 and Wisconsin roster has Graff at 133. Are these things accurate? Who knows? But Michigan's lineup is probably stronger with Dutton 141 and Grajales 149.

Multiple places like D1collegewrestling and the wrestling report have Dutton redshirting, which is the right move imo since Michigan will be bad this year with or without him. Come 2 years from now though as a redshirt senior he would be a big plus to a young but talented team with Massa/Coon/Whitford etc.

Carter and Stieber is a complete tossup imo. I went with Carter since he placed higher last year and won their last head to head match-up as someone posted below. Thus if I went with Stieber I'd be labeled a "homer". One could easily see either Stieber or Carter placing much higher than this and possibly even being a finalist.

Carter and Stieber is a complete tossup imo. I went with Carter since he placed higher last year and won their last head to head match-up as someone posted below. Thus if I went with Stieber I'd be labeled a "homer". One could easily see either Stieber or Carter placing much higher than this and possibly even being a finalist.

If Oliver goes 149 then 141 is wide open. Maple would be a marginal favorite but one could argue persuasively for Magrum, Graff, and H. Stieber. I respectfully disagree with OWA on Grajales as he's a tremendous talent but he runs hot and cold. Is it certain that Graff will go 141? And will Grajales be making the cut?

Agree that Dardanes and Sueflohn--esp. Dardanes--should not be ignored.

My wildcard at 141 would be Henderson from UNC. If Kolat can fix some issues, he's tough.

Never said that Grajales wasn't a tremendous talent if that's how it came off....just that his achievements thus far probably haven't matched up to expectations, considering many thought he was better than Taylor in high school and he beat Oliver head to head. I suspect at 141 he'd be a 2x AA right now.

Agreed on Henderson. Anyone who is 3-0 against the Monroeville boys is legit regardless of whether he faded at NCAA's.

Buckeyebison wrote:

He has never beaten both Stiebers in hs ...

Carter beat Hunter Stieber in the 2008 Ironman 112 final 8-4. Hunter had beaten him in the 103 Ironman final the year before. Carter made a third final in 2009 losing to Logan that time, 10-4 at 125.

Also in 2009 Hunter lost his final to Mason Beckman, 3-0.

My bad. I only remmy the 11-2 beatdown by Hunter on Carter before Carter turned it around next year. Kudos to Carter. Ok. It's a 4-1 against Carter.

Finally, a caveat...non All-Americans Nick Dardanes and Sueflohn ahead of a couple of All-Americans is strictly opinion, I realize that Nevinger and Keith are AA's but in my view the other two are better.

You do realize that Nevinger beat Dardanes twice (9-6 and 5-2) last year? Yes, I see the disclaimer that this is strictly "opinion", but I'm curious as to the basis of that opinion!

VT will rue the day that Pop came to NCSU.....he'll be getting all the top recruits that would have considered VT.

Maple will dominate this weight class...Oliver or no Oliver. Mark it down.

This feels like deja vu. Weren't you the same guy talking about how he would dominate the class last year as well?

Finally, a caveat...non All-Americans Nick Dardanes and Sueflohn ahead of a couple of All-Americans is strictly opinion, I realize that Nevinger and Keith are AA's but in my view the other two are better.

You do realize that Nevinger beat Dardanes twice (9-6 and 5-2) last year? Yes, I see the disclaimer that this is strictly "opinion", but I'm curious as to the basis of that opinion!

Do you realize Sueflohn teched Nevinger

Do you realize Sueflohn teched Nevinger

Sorry, I thought from the context of my response that it would be clear that it was the ranking of Dardanes over Nevinger that I was questioning - should have eliminated Suefloehn from the quote, as I can see an argument either way there (although I do think Nevinger's performance throughout at Vegas last year was subpar). But in the case of ranking Nevinger lower than Dardanes in the face of two head to head wins AND highter finish at NCAA's? Sorry, I don't buy into that logic! The bulk of evidence favors Nevinger. And if we get into "A beat B beat c" w/ respect to Dardane's wins over Suelohn - well, in that case, we can point ou that Nevinger beat the kid at NCAA's who beat the kid who beat Sueflohn!

In any case - I'll take Nevinger over both of them in 2012-13!