Sign in to follow this  
nom

Molinaro v Jenkins - grapple at garden

Dake is out - fractured hand.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... the-Garden

Quotes from wrestlers make it sound like there is some personal friction between the two. Is this just hype or is there a backstory of note?

More interesting match then the Dake match in my opinion.

I'll give you a hint...both of them went to Penn State.

Dake is out - fractured hand.

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Fe ... the-Garden

Quotes from wrestlers make it sound like there is some personal friction between the two. Is this just hype or is there a backstory of note?

More interesting match then the Dake match in my opinion.

I know Bubba talked some smack before he left for Arizona State regarding the best 149 in the PSU room. Should be interesting......Personally, I've got to go with Tank in this one. Bubba has the more natural gifts but Molinaro is an extremely hard worker and once you leave the structured environment of college wrestling, that becomes even more important.

yea, I know they both went to Penn State but the question is was their bad or at least unhappy blood between them. I thought Jenkins and Taylor were the ones in the same weight class. Did Molinaro / Jenkins have some rivalry or differences in perspective?

I could see it for Jenkins as being simply another opportunity to beat an awesome Penn State wrestler and thus show to the coaching staff that let him go that they made a mistake. But Molinaro's comment that it is personal makes it seem like there may be more.

ha ha wasnt this suppose to be one of the big matchups that the annoying wannabe wrestling promoters were hyping? they couldnt land these guys and now they are tangling at a much better and more well respected event

big size difference but jenkins didnt look good in his last outing

these one on one matchups are not too exciting for me they never seem to have the excitement that comes with having to win a few matches in a tournament the only time it is different is in a dual where you have a team allegance

My take on what happened with Bubba leaving PSU is that Bubba thought of himself instead of adopting Cael's big picture / long term team strategy and place better than 9th place in Cael's first season at PSU. Bubba failed to certify at 149. I think the plan was to have Molinaro compete at 141 that season, with Bubba at 149, and Cyler at 157 in his last season. Instead Bubba had to RS, Cyler competed at 157, Molinaro moved up to 149, and 141 became a weak weight class.

I have a feeling that there is no love lost between Molinaro and Bubba. I don't think they hate each other either. I think they see things differently.

That's my two cents worth of speculative thought on the topic.

If anything the size difference should be in Frank the Tank’s favor, Bubba has be competing at 145 in MMA

his last two fights have been at 155. he gassed and got finished in sept and then beat a late replacement who was 5-5 at the bethlehem card. the size difference won't be much, slight advantage for bubba. probably not much of a competitive advntage.

The beef between Molinaro and Bubba boils down to competing beliefs about how a champion should live his life. Bubba is a nice guy, fun to be around, and super talented, but he wasn't always the best example for the younger guys in the wrestling room or in the classroom. That caused friction between the two and when Bubba took some shots at Cael after he left for Arizona State, Frank gave some back to Bubba. After NCAAs in 2011, Bubba mentioned in some interviews how happy he was about Dake's landslide victory over Frank. There were also some tweets along the way. These guys legitimately don't like each other.

Perhaps Bubba was the reason Frank had to suck down to 141 to start. That alone would make it very "personal"!! :twisted:

ding! ding! ding! Recall that the whole Bubba-Cael thing had to do with Bubba sitting out the fall semester to get grades in order, then come back at 149. Tank would have to drop to 141, and Cael's kid brother could have 157 all to himself. Bubba wanted to RS the entire season, so he intentionally "missed weight" for 157 at the Mat Town (Lock Haven?) Open and could no longer go at 149.

ding! ding! ding! Recall that the whole Bubba-Cael thing had to do with Bubba sitting out the fall semester to get grades in order, then come back at 149. Tank would have to drop to 141, and Cael's kid brother could have 157 all to himself. Bubba wanted to RS the entire season, so he intentionally "missed weight" for 157 at the Mat Town (Lock Haven?) Open and could no longer go at 149.

Not to mention that Bubba admitted to tanking his grades intentionally so he would be ineligible, preserving his redshirt regardless of what his coaches wanted. Sounds crazy, I know, but Bubba is a quirky fellow.

IIRC, Bubba always had Molinaro's number while he was at PSU. There is no denying his talent. There is also no denying the mental strength of Frank the Tank...intense.

I am really looking forward to this and I'm not really sure who I'm rooting for...each guy has their appeal.