Sign in to follow this  
toptotop69

Oregon State

All the love for Zalesky that was being throw around here at the start of the season has certainly died down. Multiple head scratching losses for a former #1 ranked and preseason #2 Sakaguchi, a loss for #1 Meeks and a loss for #3 Pena, plus a few disappointing dual losses to low or unranked teams. Not saying he isn't a good coach because of a rough start, just saying the wind seems to have come out of the Oregon St/Zalesky sails pretty quick. Still a good team but certainly not a top 10 team like they had aspirations of.

All the love for Zalesky that was being throw around here at the start of the season has certainly died down. Multiple head scratching losses for a former #1 ranked and preseason #2 Sakaguchi, a loss for #1 Meeks and a loss for #3 Pena, plus a few disappointing dual losses to low or unranked teams. Not saying he isn't a good coach because of a rough start, just saying the wind seems to have come out of the Oregon St/Zalesky sails pretty quick. Still a good team but certainly not a top 10 team like they had aspirations of.

It made sense in that their tournament ranking was based on Sakaguchi, Pena and Meeks, but on a bad day each of those guys could be rd 12. Meeks less so however.

It absolutely made sense, not saying it didn't. If I were a coach or fan of them I would be hoping for/aiming for a top 10 team with that squad. Just meant so far they haven't lived up to that. Plenty of season left.

My top 10 after today:

Penn st, Minny, Iowa, Oklahoma, Okie St, Cornell, Illinois, Nebraska, Ohio St, Missouri.

After that, good luck, lots of round robins with wins and losses. VT, Virginia, Edinboro, Pitt, UNI, Iowa St, Stanford, Oregon St, Northwestern and Bloomsburg could all make a case to be in there somewhere.

I wonder if Lehigh did enough to get back in the top 25 by beating two thanked teams?

Oregon State does have a history of peaking at the right time, and I'd say they'll most likely do so once again this year.

Take a look at Meeks last year. During the season he is shut out 7-0 against Meredith, and then at the PAC-12's handles him 4-0. He was 0-2 entering the NCAA tournament against Hernandez, and sticks him in the 2nd period.

How about Pena? 2-2 Vs Ivanov entering the NCAA tournament. The match could have gone either way based on past results, but Pena was the one to win when it mattered.

Sakaguchi has lost 3 matches in a row, but last year still finished out better than his early season losses (Sueflohn, Tessari, Welsh and Grajales) by year's end.

I think that this year's results will reflect a similar history.

I've watched both home duals this season (BSU and Minny). During BSU the team looked flat sans 133, 141.

I noticed marked improvement vs. Minny, but the scoreboard doesn't show it. I have the pleasure of talking to a bunch of fans after the Minny dual and all agreed the effort was improved.

Even though guys lost they turned it up a notch. It was fun to see the Delgado-Dardanes match. Delgado didn't have a way to get to Dardanes - so quick and powerful in the hips. Equally as entertaining was the Latham-Storley match. Latham went right at him. Had a 3rd period TD to narrow the lead, then in a flurry Storley reversed and got 2 backs right at the end to widen the score out.

Dhesi is still learning to wrestle against the elite guys. It may take a year of college wrestling for him. But he held his own against Nelson. Losing by decision is better than getting pinned like he did vs. Boise.

I applaud Z and the coaches for scheduling these tough early season dual meets, even though it's nice to win on your home mats.

Actually this is the tyoe of schedule all the PAC12 teams need to have. IMO.

The PAC12 itself really doesn't provide the week in and week out tough as nails matches, like the B12.

Hey ... Lose a few early on, and come back fighting when it really counts.