Ernest James, Edinboro

Eric Thompson, Grand View

Spencer Myers, Maryland

J.T. Felix, Boise State

Ty Walz, Virginia Tech

Adam Coon, Michigan

Adam Fager, Utah Valley

Evan Knutson, North Dakota State

Very weak. Southern scuffle has done a great job of being THE tournament to go to. I'm not sure what midlands needs to do to deepen those weight classes but they should have started making them 3-4 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some weights are extremely deep though. Im pretty pumped for 125, 133, 149, and 165. I think Bo Jordan is going to win Midlands. I would love to see Stieber vs Tsirtsis. Ramos vs Colon or Graff will be sweet too. 125 looks tough. Delgado, Clark, GIllman, Tomasello are all excellent. Caldwell vs DSJ? Two styles that couldnt differ more.

Some weights are extremely deep though. Im pretty pumped for 125, 133, 149, and 165. I think Bo Jordan is going to win Midlands. I would love to see Stieber vs Tsirtsis. Ramos vs Colon or Graff will be sweet too. 125 looks tough. Delgado, Clark, GIllman, Tomasello are all excellent. Caldwell vs DSJ? Two styles that couldnt differ more.

------

Agree. I wouldn't call the overall tournament "weak."

The lower weights 125 thru 141 are pretty brutal, with #1 guy at each weight coming plus a good number of other top 8 ranked guys. 184# and Hwt have most of the top 5 guys except for #1's, Ruth and Nelson.

165 seems like the weakest weight, but will still be interesting with RS Jordan and Massa competing. 174 and 197 aren't the toughest this year.

Additions:

125:

Mike Fuenffinger, Augsburg College

141:

Gustavo Martinez, Grand View

149:

Isaiah Tatum, Grand View

165:

Nazar Kulchytsky, UW Oshkosh

Brock Gutches, Southern Oregon

174:

Landon Williams, Wartburg College

Dan Schiferl, UW Oshkosh

197:

Shane Siefert, UW Whitewater

285:

Chad Johnson, Augsburg College

Anthony Edgren, UW Whitewater

Ryan Fank, Wartburg College

Conner Herman, Luther College

First off I wish there were more Post Grads among the names of those participating, but am happy to at least see two, especially Darion Caldwell.

This year's Midlands to me as a fan proves to be very exciting in determining a lot of things at each weight class.

125 - Iowa fan's including myself have made a huge deal out of Clark defeating Delgado at last year's Northern Iowa Open 6-1. Was the win a fluke? An upset? Was it simply a case of Delgado being unprepared and underestimating Clark? Or is Clark the real deal? This match is vitally important in determining where each wrestler is at in terms of Vs one another. It either cements the belief that Clark is the real deal or it shows that he simply caught Delgado on a bad day.

133 - Thus far 149 isn't proving to be the friendliest environment to Oklahoma's Kendric Maple. Is the move up to 133 going to similar for Missouri's Alan Waters? I think it is a very wise tactic to test the waters of another weight class in a tournament like the Midlands during your redshirt year to see how your fare there. Anxious to see how he does. Is Joe Colon a threat to the NCAA title this year or is he not? Thus far the butt whopping he gave Tyler Graff says that he might be. Does he pose a threat to Tony Ramos? These questions as well as others will be answered at this year's Midlands. Also look for Geoff Alexander to perhaps make the next step and propel himself with a high place finish.

141 - I for one am interested to see if Port really was the 2nd best wrestler in the country last year or if he just had one hell of a good tournament. Franklin and Marshall's Richard Durso could bring great recognition to his small school with a Midland's title. That would be excellent press for the F&M wrestling program as well as to other small school's in general. Brian Owen of BSU seems as if he's been around forever...he has. Like to see him make the award stand if possible and I'll also add that Princeton's Adam Krop could very well end up a Darkhorse tournament champion.

149 - Is Tsirtsis as good as everyone says that he is? So far, so good but the Midlands will be a real test to the "NCAA champion" predictions that so many seem so eager to throw out about him. I myself am hoping that Grajales comes through and at least places high at the tournament if nothing else. Everyone keeps on saying that while he can win big in dual meets, he is not a tournament wrestler. What better opportunity to become a tournament wrestler than the Midlands??

157 - First off the potential for Caldwell Vs St. John has to have more than just me excited. This also gives a great opportunity for some of the other 157 lbs'ers to prove that St. John will in fact be challenged for the title this year. Taylor Walsh thus far has won every tournament this year that he has entered. Will he here? Joey Napoli has always given St. John a run for his money, will be finally be able to defeat him? How about Jordan of Wisconsin? Another freshman phenomenon that has caught the attention of the wrestling community. An overlooked and under appreciated freshman on the other hand is Cal Poly's Max Schneider who could very well end up being the biggest surprise of the tournament.

165 - Interesting weight class in that it gives a handful of R12 caliber wrestlers an opportunity to propel themselves into the league of AA caliber. Initially I would have said that this was Steve Monk's championship to lose, but with a recent loss to Northern Iowa's Cooper Moore, I don't feel as confident about that prediction as I once did. Moore, along with another Moore (Nick Moore), Dan Yates, Jackson Morse, and Taylor Massa all are right there right on the edge, but just need that little extra something to get to the next level. A title here would do that for them. Also look for Ryan LeBlanc of Indiana to finally have a tournament placing he is capable of and for Ramon Santiago to have an upset or two at the tournament.

174 - Most definitely predicting Evans for the champion here, but I will give leeway (pardon the pun) to Lee Munster of Northwestern. After winning the title 2 years ago as a freshman, he slipped to a 5th place finish last year. He's never wrestled better than he did, at all, than he did his freshman year at the Midlands. I'd say normally that Evans would win 9/10 meetings between the two and still feel pretty confident here. However, I can see Munster benefiting from a home crowd advantage and the fact that he has won a title here before.

184 - A lot of parity at this weight class, and I'll say that wins at the Midlands weigh heavier in the rankings and future seedings than does a win in a dual. Swartz, Sheptock, Lofthouse and Loder all seem about even when you compare them on paper. I really think that wrestling ability wise, Loder is the best among them, but what actually happens out on the mat is what proves or disproves that. I look for Philip Joseph to perhaps have a breakout tournament here and upset his way to a high placing.

197 - Very, very interesting weight class in that it has three wrestlers who were once on the mountain who have since fallen off contending for a title here. At one time Christian Boley was recognized as the third best wrestler in his weight class. Having a rough tournament as the #3 seed two years ago, he has yet to ever gain back the faith of the rankers since. Things haven't been a whole heck of a lot different for Illinois's Mario Gonzalez, who after winning a BIG 10 title a few years ago, has yet to find himself in that position of success again. Hope to see Nathan Burak back by this time and in shape ready to go for the Hawkeyes. If not, Terrance Jean-Jacques could do wonders for maintaining his varsity position with a good finish here.

HWT - I believe that most fans already have Telford vs McMullan penciled in for the finals but I'm not 100% positive on that matchup myself. I dare not count out the abilities of Maryland's Spencer Myers to take the title here. This could also be Indiana's Adam Chalfant's opportunity to finally, finally prove that he is one of the best HWT's in the country. There is no reason at all why he shouldn't be challenging for the title here, but I hope to see him at least place.

I wish I could attend this year's Midlands, but it isn't within my time frame or budget. I don't feel it will be boring at all. I'm looking forward to it.

I have not seen anywhere on this board calling Tsirtsis an NCAA champ. Maybe an AA contender but I think Houdashelt will be your 149 champ. I like Stieber to win the midlands at 149, Tsirtsis/McCauley/Grajales for second.

I have not seen anywhere on this board calling Tsirtsis an NCAA champ. Maybe an AA contender but I think Houdashelt will be your 149 champ. I like Stieber to win the midlands at 149, Tsirtsis/McCauley/Grajales for second.

I had a few people tell me that they were picking him to win it this year. As for Houdashelt, I agree with you that he very well could. However, Missouri wrestlers in general have a history of under-performing at the NCAA's and I keep that in the back of my mind when making predictions. I think at the beginning of the year a lot of bets were placed on Maple, but with recent losses to Busler and Kindig, those bets are beginning to disappear. I feel 149 will be the most interesting of all the weight classes this year, and what we're all thinking right now, maybe night and day difference to what we think come the last of March.

As for Houdashelt, I agree with you that he very well could. However, Missouri wrestlers in general have a history of under-performing at the NCAA's and I keep that in the back of my mind when making predictions.

True, but Houdashelt has a (quasi) history of over-performing at the NCAA's...

Fudge Tunnel - Last year.

Township - Not a problem.

By the way is Anthony Zanetta (125) of Pittsburgh not competing in this year's tournament? He has prior placings from year's prior.

Isn't the Midlands the same week as the Southern Scuffle? I'm thinking Pitt will be at the Scuffle instead..

JT, surprised to see no mention in your write up of Bo Jordan at 165. He beat Ryan LeBlanc pretty handily at the Clarion Open. I like him and Jackson Morse who has wrestled very well so far this year to make the finals. Technically this requires some upsets, but I like these guys to pull them off.

Township - Thanks for the info, I thought that may be the case but I wasn't sure on whether Pittsburgh went to the Southern Scuffle or not.

TBar1977 - I just made my top 8 Midlands place winners predictions. I have Bo Jordan placing 7th.

Wow. I have him doing better than that. Where do you have Morse?

Township - Thanks for the info, I thought that may be the case but I wasn't sure on whether Pittsburgh went to the Southern Scuffle or not.

TBar1977 - I just made my top 8 Midlands place winners predictions. I have Bo Jordan placing 7th.

Wow. I have him doing better than that. Where do you have Morse?

5th