Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

2013 Midlands Tournament Contenders

2014-15 Bucks would like to believe they have four potential champs at least (Logan, Hunter, BoJo and Snyder). I'm sure they see Tomasello as an AA as well. So, how the redshirts perform at Midlands will be of surpassing interest.

Can Hunter move up a weight and still be a dominant performer? Will BoJo continue to tear up the comp? Can Tomasello beat top 10 type guys at 125? Or will the Midlands demonstrate that the Bucks have a ways to go if they really expect to challenge next season?

Yeah I knew about the Bellator deal. If he's been training MMA then he definitely has been putting that shoulder in some funky positions. God knows how many times hes had it in some funky positions learning BJJ. So maybe this Doc has worked some magic. In any case, I hope he's in fair shape, health, and form and we get to see him do his thing.

Yes, you make huge deals. I'm sure Delgado is hoping that Clark makes it to the finals. It won't be a huge deal after that match.

"Iowa fan's including myself have made a huge deal out of Clark defeating Delgado at last year's Northern Iowa Open 6-1. Was the win a fluke? An upset? Was it simply a case of Delgado being unprepared and underestimating Clark? Or is Clark the real deal? This match is vitally important in determining where each wrestler is at in terms of Vs one another. It either cements the belief that Clark is the real deal or it shows that he simply caught Delgado on a bad day."

Township - Thanks for the info, I thought that may be the case but I wasn't sure on whether Pittsburgh went to the Southern Scuffle or not.

TBar1977 - I just made my top 8 Midlands place winners predictions. I have Bo Jordan placing 7th.

Wow. I have him doing better than that. Where do you have Morse?

5th

I have Morse higher than that. What does your 149lbs semi's look like? Off the top of my head and not looking at any rankings or anything like that, I have Grajales, Tsirtsis, Stieber and Habat.

Scuffle probably has more star power but Midlands is still pretty deep and could offer some great match ups. Clark vs Delgado II; Jordan vs Massa; Caldwell vs St. John; H. Stieber vs Tsirstsis..... Glad the BigTen Network will be covering the finals.

Agree, however the Midlands has closed the gap a little since last year.

TBar1977 - I tell you what, I have the exact same 4 guys in the semi-finals but I go in questioning if that's really how it's going to unfold or not. Grajales is so damn inconsistent. He's the horse at the race you really don't want to put any money on, yet also the horse you know good and well you better never bet against. The guy has the tools to not only be a Midlands Champion but also an NCAA champion. Yet with losses to Gabe Morse and Michael DePalma, you never know what to expect.

I'm also not 100% sold that Hunter Steiber is going to fare all that well up a weight class either. I mean I think he will, but there have been plenty of other 141er's that have gone up to 149 and things haven't been so great for them. Look at Don Fisch of Rider a few years back. At 141 he damn near makes the finals, and then the next year barely has a winning record at 149. Better yet, take Ryan Lang of Northwestern was was 4th and then 2nd at 141 at the NCAA's. He barely qualifies for the tournament the next year at 149, and goes 1-2. Maple 141 NCAA champion last year, has two losses already this year at 149, and the season has just begun. Maybe Hunter Steiber can avoid the curse that seems to loom around the 141 to 149 jump, but let me see it before I believe it.

Habat, while not near as bad as Grajales, isn't exactly the most consistent wrestler in the world either. While I think he'll do well and place top 4 here at this tournament, he's not exactly upset proof either.

As for Tsirtsis, he at the moment seems to have top billing here. Maybe he deserves it. We'll see come the end of the Midlands.

As for Houdashelt, I agree with you that he very well could. However, Missouri wrestlers in general have a history of under-performing at the NCAA's and I keep that in the back of my mind when making predictions.

True, but Houdashelt has a (quasi) history of over-performing at the NCAA's...

I think its unfair to say that is true. Waters has underperformed at NCAA's. Max Askren underperformed a couple years, but overperformed as a Sr. Dom Bradley taking 4th was an underperformance. Nick Marable as a Sr. Matt Pell's Jr year. Mark Ellis' Sr. year, slightly.

But, Ben Askren, Matt Pell's So & Sr, Ray Jordan, Tyler McCormick So & Jr, Michael Chandler, Ellis' Jr, all exceeded expectations, some rather significantly. On balance, I'd say Mizzou runs about .500 at NCAA's, which leaves room for improvement, but doesn't quite rise to the level of generalized underperformance.

JT, nice write-up, but Napoli giving St. John a "run for his money" I don't think so. In their only meeting (that I could find) St.John shut him down 6-0 with two minutes of RT. And did you mean to note Sam Brooks rather than Jean-Jacques at 197?

JT, nice write-up, but Napoli giving St. John a "run for his money" I don't think so. In their only meeting (that I could find) St.John shut him down 6-0 with two minutes of RT. And did you mean to note Sam Brooks rather than Jean-Jacques at 197?

I was there when Lehigh wrestled Iowa last year and let me say this: You know how there are times when a wrestler will win 3-2 and by the score alone people will think it was a close match, when the match itself indicated that the winner was never in danger the whole time? Well I think that happens just the polar opposite way sometimes too. As far as I was concerned it wasn't like St. John went out and took it to Napoli. More like Napoli took a lot of risk, made some fundamental errors and paid the piper for them. I think upon a second meeting he'll be a bit more conservative and close the gap. I could be wrong here though too. St. John seems to be able to counter about any attack, somehow even make seemingly poor techniques work and always seems to have the referee on his side. He's a two time finalist for a reason, and has proven his ability to win over anyone. He might major Napoli this time, but I'd say it'll be a closer match than before.

You're the second person to ask me about Jean-Jacques and Brooks. I as under the understanding that Brooks wasn't in the healthiest state right now. Am I wrong about that? Will Iowa wrestle 3 wrestlers at this weight class? I can never remember the rules on how many wrestlers you are allowed to enter per weight/per team at the Midlands. Can you enter unattached even if you aren't redshirting? (You'd think I'd know these answers....I don't)

Brooks is healthy. He barely lost to Even Gadsden (3-2) at 197 after weighing in at 184. Burak must be who you are thinking of. He has a skin issue and will be back soon. Telford will also be back shortly.

As far as St John. Who are these people that say DSJ has no technique? Really? Has the refs on bis side? Really? The kid is a winner. Period. You have no clue

Brooks is healthy. He barely lost to Even Gadsden (3-2) at 197 after weighing in at 184. Burak must be who you are thinking of. He has a skin issue and will be back soon. Telford will also be back shortly.

As far as St John. Who are these people that say DSJ has no technique? Really? Has the refs on bis side? Really? The kid is a winner. Period. You have no clue

TBar1977 - I tell you what, I have the exact same 4 guys in the semi-finals but I go in questioning if that's really how it's going to unfold or not. Grajales is so damn inconsistent. He's the horse at the race you really don't want to put any money on, yet also the horse you know good and well you better never bet against. The guy has the tools to not only be a Midlands Champion but also an NCAA champion. Yet with losses to Gabe Morse and Michael DePalma, you never know what to expect.

I'm also not 100% sold that Hunter Steiber is going to fare all that well up a weight class either. I mean I think he will, but there have been plenty of other 141er's that have gone up to 149 and things haven't been so great for them. Look at Don Fisch of Rider a few years back. At 141 he damn near makes the finals, and then the next year barely has a winning record at 149. Better yet, take Ryan Lang of Northwestern was was 4th and then 2nd at 141 at the NCAA's. He barely qualifies for the tournament the next year at 149, and goes 1-2. Maple 141 NCAA champion last year, has two losses already this year at 149, and the season has just begun. Maybe Hunter Steiber can avoid the curse that seems to loom around the 141 to 149 jump, but let me see it before I believe it.

Habat, while not near as bad as Grajales, isn't exactly the most consistent wrestler in the world either. While I think he'll do well and place top 4 here at this tournament, he's not exactly upset proof either.

As for Tsirtsis, he at the moment seems to have top billing here. Maybe he deserves it. We'll see come the end of the Midlands.

I don't think you could have written a post that so closely mirrors my own thoughts. Thanks.

Brock Gutches of Southern Oregon is seeded 7th at 165lbs.

He just wrestled pretty tough against Robert Kokesh of Nebraska in the 174lb finals at Reno.

Kokesh won an intense 3 to 1 decision.

Gutches could be primed and ready to bring some unexpected horsepower to all his friends at 165.

Ah, yes, the annual peeing match between the Scuffle and Midlands supporters, which does nothing to promote the sport. Not helping this year: Okla and Nebraska going to neither, which greatly dilutes the ability for either event to "control" the action. To be truthful, too many re-matches between individuals can spoil the broth. Before factoring in the loss of NE, OK, these five Midlands weights are plenty loaded:

6- 133 -3 -A.J. Schopp, Edinboro

133 -4 -Tony Ramos, Iowa

133 -5 -Mason Beckman, Lehigh

133 -6 -Johnni DiJulius, Ohio St

133 -7 -Joe Colon, N. Iowa

133 -8 -Tyler Graff, Wisconsin

4- 141 -1 -Logan Stieber, Ohio St

141 -2 -Mitchell Port, Edinboro

141 -3 -Devin Carter, Va Tech

141 -5 -Richard Durso, F&M

4- 157 -1 -Derek St. John, Iowa

157 -6 -Taylor Walsh, Indiana

157 -7 -Joey Napoli, Lehigh

157 -10 -Isaac Jordan, Wisconsin

5- 184 -1 -Ethen Lofthouse, Iowa

184 -2 -Jim Sheptock, Maryland

184 -3 -Ryan Loder, N.Iowa

184 -6 -Jake Swartz, Boise St

184 -8 -Vic Avery, Edinboro

6- 285 -2 -Mike McMullan, Nrthwstrn

285 -3 -Spencer Myers, Maryland

285 -4 -Adam Coon, Michigan

285 -6 -J.T. Felix, Boise St

285 -8 -Connor Medbery, Wisconsin

285 -10 -Adam Chalfant, Indiana

125 1 Delgado Illinois

149 2 Tsirtsis Northwestern

Ah, yes, the annual peeing match between the Scuffle and Midlands supporters, which does nothing to promote the sport. Not helping this year: Okla and Nebraska going to neither, which greatly dilutes the ability for either event to "control" the action. To be truthful, too many re-matches between individuals can spoil the broth. Before factoring in the loss of NE, OK, these five Midlands weights are plenty loaded:

6- 133 -3 -A.J. Schopp, Edinboro

133 -4 -Tony Ramos, Iowa

133 -5 -Mason Beckman, Lehigh

133 -6 -Johnni DiJulius, Ohio St

133 -7 -Joe Colon, N. Iowa

133 -8 -Tyler Graff, Wisconsin

4- 141 -1 -Logan Stieber, Ohio St

141 -2 -Mitchell Port, Edinboro

141 -3 -Devin Carter, Va Tech

141 -5 -Richard Durso, F&M

4- 157 -1 -Derek St. John, Iowa

157 -6 -Taylor Walsh, Indiana

157 -7 -Joey Napoli, Lehigh

157 -10 -Isaac Jordan, Wisconsin

5- 184 -1 -Ethen Lofthouse, Iowa

184 -2 -Jim Sheptock, Maryland

184 -3 -Ryan Loder, N.Iowa

184 -6 -Jake Swartz, Boise St

184 -8 -Vic Avery, Edinboro

6- 285 -2 -Mike McMullan, Nrthwstrn

285 -3 -Spencer Myers, Maryland

285 -4 -Adam Coon, Michigan

285 -6 -J.T. Felix, Boise St

285 -8 -Connor Medbery, Wisconsin

285 -10 -Adam Chalfant, Indiana

125 1 Delgado Illinois

149 2 Tsirtsis Northwestern

141 you have the wrong Stieber (it's Hunter that's participating, he's at 149), and further, Devin Carter's season has been prematurely ended due to injury.