Sign in to follow this  
BobDole

Did the All-Star meet sell out TOO fast?

With only 3 match-ups announced will it be harder to secure others coming to the event? There are probably 10 sets of parents/friends/family that won't be able to come due to the event being sold out even before the wrestler has accepted the bid.

With only 3 match-ups announced will it be harder to secure others coming to the event? There are probably 10 sets of parents/friends/family that won't be able to come due to the event being sold out even before the wrestler has accepted the bid.

I'm sure they have set aside tickets for the wrestlers that end up participating in the event. Either way, this event could absolutely benefit from a larger venue this year.

When I got my tickets last week there were still a fair number of tickets available. However, sec. 103 and 104, closest to center mat on the near side, were not available (reserved). I assumed they were being saved for family, coaches, VIP, etc.

Here is what I have based on different posts and people

125- Megaludis vs

141- Maple vs Futrell

149- Chamberlain vs

157- Alton vs Welch

165- Taylor vs Dake

174- Blanton vs

184- Steinhaus vs Hamlin

197- Wright vs

285- Bradley vs McMullan

markymark:

There is this little known fact that ESPN properties have their programming set for Saturday's during football season. Any time between noon and midnight on Saturday during football season - ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU have college football ... and if they don't it's because of some other contracted property (i.e. NASCAR).

I HIGHLY DOUBT ESPN is going to forego college football inventory - which is contracted - for college wrestling. It would be a disaster contractually and potentially from a ratings standpoint.

Open Letter to Teague Moore:

Upgrade to a larger venue, please. Wrestling needs you for this.

ps: during the webcast/broadcast, pan the audience frequently

Yours in propaganda.

Scribes.

Scribe..

You are the guy I have the most respect for on this blog...but where can they go? Is a half-filled Comcast Center better than a sold-out AU?

Chamberlin vs. Lester.

DC Armory seats 10,000 and would be an option. http://www.dcsportsent.com/venues/dc-armory/armory-photo-gallery/

But you have to remember that the purpose of this event it to put D1 wrestling schools in front of wrestling fans. There is a good chance that many of the people that will be attending this event have never been on the campus of American University.

I agree that it is better to have a packed out small crowd than a large crowd that loses the atmosphere because the venue is too big.

We all know that the Friedman Center is too small for the demand but it may be the best atmosphere in college wrestling. There is a reason colleges, as a whole, have decided against enlarging the football stadiums recently. They know a sell out for each game is better than empty seats at half the games.

http://www.aueagles.com/information/facilities/bender_arena

Notice to those people that would like to have the event at a larger arena: It's human nature for people to want what they cannot have. The best thing for college wrestling is for this to be a sold out event.

Notice to those people that would like to have the event at a larger arena: It's human nature for people to want what they cannot have. The best thing for college wrestling is for this to be a sold out event.

you nailed it!

nothing worse than people saying i can just buy tickets at the door so i dont need to get them now just to find out that they had a long week so they dont feel like taking the drive now. if they had the tickets they would go since it is a sold out event.

Yours in propaganda.

Scribes.

Scribe..

You are the guy I have the most respect for on this blog...but where can they go? Is a half-filled Comcast Center better than a sold-out AU?

Chamberlin vs. Lester.

I don't know where the ceiling is for demand. All I know is there was talk about the venue selling out, and it sold out quickly. I understand they couldn't anticipate the demand and 3k venue sounds realistic. BUT, maybe it could be a bigger event?

Not a terrible problem to have.

I wanted to have Stephanie Seymour back in the day.

Would it have really killed her to just let me at it?

Yours in propaganda.

Scribes.

Scribe..

Chamberlin vs. Lester.

I don't know where the ceiling is for demand. All I know is there was talk about the venue selling out, and it sold out quickly. I understand they couldn't anticipate the demand and 3k venue sounds realistic. BUT, maybe it could be a bigger event?

Not a terrible problem to have.

According to the AU site, Bender holds 4,700. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3,000 seat number is the general admission seats. I also wouldn't be shocked if there are tickets held for the family and friends of participants.

Either way, It will be a packed house and a true sell out and top American Men's basketball average home attendance of 1,267. In 2009, AU Men's Basketball made the NCAA tournament after winning the Patriot League. They hosted the Patriot League Championship game in front of 3,128 fans.

Is this even a serious question? Wrestling is on life support and you think a sold out event could possibly have negative implications?

Is this even a serious question? Wrestling is on life support and you think a sold out event could possibly have negative implications?

The fans/parents/relatives of wrestlers who did not commit or get invites until AFTER it was sold out are the ones that are going to suffer. If I were a parent of a wrestler that was invited AFTER it was sold out and learned I couldn't go I would not be happy. If I were a fan from a place like Lehigh who is just now learning they have a wrestler in the meet, I would not be happy.

I don't know what the remaining demand might be but I would assume it is pretty substantial. I live minutes away from AU and I naively thought I could just roll up and buy tickets the day of the event.(Yes I've attended AU duals and know it is a small gym) Seems to me that the limited size will probably keep any casual or prodigal fans from being brought to the event. I attend Nationals yearly and I was going to fly my father in for this event and invite a few other people. I realize that is a drop in the bucket but I just feel the small venue is deterring the nwca from bringing home some wayward fans and at the same time keeping out some pretty consistent supporters like myself.

I doubt the NWCA when planning this event had any idea the demand would be this high. It snowballed once it was announced Dake & Taylor were going to meet. If they want to keep in in the DC area next year the Patriot Center at George Mason holds around 10K. There are other options in a big city area like DC. You don't have to jump right from a small gym to the Comcast Center.