Sign in to follow this  
Wire

Gas Tanks

From another thread ....

"As a PSU homer, I have to agree with MSU. A healthy, non gassing AA wins this by a major or better. But when the gas tank hits E, it's not exactly a bum on the other side he is wrestling. I'm sure he is more than capable of taking advantage over a dead opponent. I truly hope their gas tanks are better as I think he could be a legitimate contender to win it all."

So what is it with the 2 brothers, that they seem to not have the cardio fitness to match up with the rest of the NCAA wrestling world? Is it mental, or physical?

I can't believe that the PSU room has a "hole" in it, whereby the two brothers can slack off and not get into shape. Is it an actual Physical issue? Not all of us are built the same way. Pelps, as a swimmer, had lungs that where actually physically larger then the average guy.

Gable set the standard for "Maniac" style of conditioning, others have emulated it, and others not so much. One would think, Cael would be all over these guys, and have them ready to go, with a full gas tank. Do they not buy into the 120% idea of conditioning? Not tough enuf? (which I have a hard time believing)

For those of us who wrestled ... We all know that end of match "cotton mouth" and the "gasping" for air, regardless of how hard we worked to get in shape.

Mental, physical, or both (bad habits are mental and some lead to physical detriments; such as depicted below, in the only known photo of DF, taken hours before his state finals match):

smokin.jpg

just sayin', there are other possible reasons available to choose from.

Mental, physical, or both (bad habits are mental and some lead to physical detriments; such as depicted below, in the only known photo of DF, taken hours before his state finals match):

smokin.jpg

That's DF? Looks more like Mike Evans with the cheesy mustache. :D

That's DF? Looks more like Mike Evans with the cheesy mustache. :D

Nah, Evans had a way better mustache than that one. This looks like a 17-yr old hanging around a liquor store, just like DF.

Didn't Mark Schultz talk about his having a medical condition he didn't know about? If I remember correctly it was something chemical that didn't allow his blood to properly oxygenate?

Also, I don't really think the gas tank is an issue for both Altons. D. Alton didn't seem to gas last year, he was just slightly less competitive due to injury. Now, A. Alton on the other hand, was DEAD by the 3rd period in EVERY match. I doubt anyone on here truly knows the reason. I do wonder if he may have something similar to Schultz or maybe a mixture of the injury, not being able to train as hard and his own chemical make-up.

Didn't Mark Schultz talk about his having a medical condition he didn't know about? If I remember correctly it was something chemical that didn't allow his blood to properly oxygenate?

Also, I don't really think the gas tank is an issue for both Altons. D. Alton didn't seem to gas last year, he was just slightly less competitive due to injury. Now, A. Alton on the other hand, was DEAD by the 3rd period in EVERY match. I doubt anyone on here truly knows the reason. I do wonder if he may have something similar to Schultz or maybe a mixture of the injury, not being able to train as hard and his own chemical make-up.

MSU, in another thread you state fairly emphatically that Alton would lose to a good wrestler if/when he gasses. In this post you state he gassed in EvERY match last year. But in his match vs. Iowa he not only majored his opponent, he outscored him in the 3rd period as well.

Obviously he can win while gassing, OR, conversely he didn't gas EVERY match.

How does the OP know that the Altons are slackers? Or the room has a hole in it?

That said, I have a feeling that they both never realized how tough 7 minutes is. They dominated so much in HS that they rarely blew up their lungs.

I find it strange that they both needed shoulder surgeries. I wonder if it's a twin thing?? Same DNA, Same Lungs etc

How does the OP know that the Altons are slackers? Or the room has a hole in it?

That said, I have a feeling that they both never realized how tough 7 minutes is. They dominated so much in HS that they rarely blew up their lungs.

I find it strange that they both needed shoulder surgeries. I wonder if it's a twin thing?? Same DNA, Same Lungs etc

Maybe the orthopedic surgeon had a BOGO special?