Sign in to follow this  
BAC

How many can Edinboro win?

#1 ranked Iowa should win convincingly over Edinboro but there's some interesting matchups, with more that could go Edinboro's way than one might think.

Edinboro should be favored at 141, with #2 ranked Port over Dziewa, and at 149, where Habat is a consistent top 10 wrestler. That's two, on paper.

Word has it Telford might be out for this dual. Not sure who they have as a backup, but for Edinboro, Ernest James is pretty legit. If Iowa wrestles a backup I would think Edinboro would be favored.

If those three go according to chalk, are there 2 other matches that could go Edinboro's way to make this a dogfight?

At 133, AJ Schopp took 4th at NCAAs last year. Not too shabby. He has a tall order with Ramos, who majored him last year, so this is a longshot. But still, Schopp is one of the best guys Ramos will face all year.

At 125, Iowa's wrestling their backup, and the Boro kid is ranked top 20. Upset? Well probably not since Gilman is probably AA quality, and Mines just got majored by a true freshman, but you never know.

At 184, Lofthouse is ranked 2, and I guess #1 as long as Ruth is out. But Vic Avery is a decent wrestler, ranked top 10 by most publications, and Lofthouse has been known to have some puzzling early-season losses. Upset special?

Plus its at Edinboro.

If you put a gun to my head I'd pick Iowa by about 15, but I could see Edinboro taking 3-4 matches.

Here is Brands' explanation:

""It's the right thing to do with where we're at with some personal things," he said. "This is not an indication in any way, shape, or form on Clark's performance. He is still the guy and will be the guy when we come back to town a week from Thursday when we're wrestling Buffalo here.

"It's better to keep Clark at home, and this shows our depth. Either guy we're good with and it's good for Gilman as well."

I'm fine with Clark or Gilman. My guess is it will be Clark in the end but if it's Gilman I could care less. Either way I'll live the starters results. We get to see both at Midlands so that should be a good barometer of where they both are at.

Nice call here. Edinboro almost got 'er done. Ramos may not be the beast that a lot of people, including myself, thought would run away with 133 this year.

The biggest takeaway for me from this Iowa-Edinboro dual is that it shows how much can go wrong without warning. Iowa is a team that basically needs to have everything go perfectly to win Big10's or NCAA's, and last night shows us how quickly that can unravel.

They have five weights where if perfect is what you need then things went wrong last night. That sort of effort won't challenge for the title in March, it will be a challenge for about 5th or 6th place.