Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

Classic Tom Brands Post Match Interview

Gotta love Brands. This guy is absolutely, positively GREAT for the sport of wrestling. One can understand why a kid might like to wrestle for him.

His final comment made me laugh out loud. To come up with that on the spur of the moment and deliver it with such deadpan style he gets a grade of A from this fan.

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverage/25 ... -Real-Talk

I love Tom Brands, and I'm a PSU fan. Different types of personalities are good for the sport. He & Cael are almost direct opposites in their demeanor, but, both get the job done.

This Penn State fan will go even one step farther. While their public speaking styles and outward demeanor are totally opposite, they basically both stand for and preach the same exact things.

I totally get both of them, and I fully respect both men.

I was not a Brands fan when he first took over the Iowa program, but he was young and following the legendary Gable. I thought he was maturing recently and I started to be a fan.

IMHO - took a few steps backwards for me last night at the Boro match. The guy is a maniac on the bench. He runs on to the mat all the time. I don't understand why the officials allow it. It was unfortunate that Flo didn't catch more of his antics with the camera angle they had, you would see why the crowd was boo'ing so loud. I wish you could have seen how Brands ran over to the head table while Schopp and Rainbows were still wrestling when the riding time was stopped at 1 min. Brands ran on the mat, then to the head table and was pounding his hand on the table like a nut. Granted, he was justified.

I guess that it may not be Brands fault if the officials will allow it though. The problem is that there are a few coaches that can do just about anything off the bench and other coaches will get T'd up.

One more comment, huge credit to the Iowa kids. They were great with the fans. Rainbows is a class kid. (Rainbows is not meant to be derogatory) I think many people mistake his intensity on the mat and in wrestling interviews as how the kid is off the mat. I was impressed with how he handled the loss and how he took the time to stay in the gym long after the match ended to pose for pics and talk to kids. Evans too.

I was not a Brands fan when he first took over the Iowa program, but he was young and following the legendary Gable. I thought he was maturing recently and I started to be a fan.

IMHO - took a few steps backwards for me last night at the Boro match. The guy is a maniac on the bench. He runs on to the mat all the time. I don't understand why the officials allow it. It was unfortunate that Flo didn't catch more of his antics with the camera angle they had, you would see why the crowd was boo'ing so loud. I wish you could have seen how Brands ran over to the head table while Schopp and Rainbows were still wrestling when the riding time was stopped at 1 min. Brands ran on the mat, then to the head table and was pounding his hand on the table like a nut. Granted, he was justified.

I guess that it may not be Brands fault if the officials will allow it though. The problem is that there are a few coaches that can do just about anything off the bench and other coaches will get T'd up.

You hit on the one thing that I don't endorse with Brands. That maniac style of trying to control matches from the coaching box, which he absolutely won't stay in. I like what he stands for, but not the way he goes crazy during the matches.

Didn't they chuck him at NCAA's last year? I recall him sitting in the stands for a while due to some ruling or other. Maybe I am misremembering. Doesn't take away from what he stands for though, which is all good.

Brands is great for Wrestling! Love when he comes to Minnesota, the crowd goes nuts at how they jump on the mat like a monkey It sure is priceless it see..We need all kinds of excitement for Wrestling to grow crazy or not.. :)

" hey if somebody hits you with a stick next time catch it" Priceless!

Division 1 football and basketball coaches do it all the time. In those cases, I'm sure their antics are brought about more because their jobs are always on the line. Brands puts his heart and soul into that program, the man eats, sleeps, and breathes wrestling. He wrestles every second of the match with every wrestler, I love it. I could listen to him talk about anything. He was the best man at my friend's wedding, and after his speech I wanted to go wrestle a match.

In reference to the banging on the table. I was at a match with 2 assistant officials. There was an issue with riding time where a wrestler won the bout by 1 point with exactly 1:00 of riding time. It was obvious the riding time had ran 3-4 seconds over. Because the match was not stopped at the time of the incident, there was nothing that the head official could do to adjust the situation.

In reference to the banging on the table. I was at a match with 2 assistant officials. There was an issue with riding time where a wrestler won the bout by 1 point with exactly 1:00 of riding time. It was obvious the riding time had ran 3-4 seconds over. Because the match was not stopped at the time of the incident, there was nothing that the head official could do to adjust the situation.

That is my biggest issue with the riding time. There are a lot of scrambles where the official should wait to make a call one way or the other and it can end up making the subjective call impact the outcome via riding time.

Luv the way he is an advocate for his wrestlers through Anything!!! Tough not to like that style-especially in this sport! Even if he looks like a "raving lunatic"! Impressive! Iowa wrestlers never look very happy though-they always look a bit sunken and sad like they grew up in Russia 30+ years ago. even after the match when their focus can relax a little-they just don't look like very happy people. Boro guys were all smiling signing autographs etc.-not too many smiles from the Iowa side (although they did stay and sign for quite a while which was really great!)

One of the great things to see, read and hear, specifically in this case, is that collegiate programs across the country struggle with many of the same things. Identifying and reacting to opponents' tendencies, not trying to be too fancy with things, BASICS WORK (EVEN TODAY), etc.!

The best thing is that Brands is not about excuse making and does a great job of shutting down Zeb once Zeb begins talking about the excuses that COULD be made. Clearly he's not alone, as you'll find the same things with Sanderson, Smith, Koll, Robinson, et al.

Brands is amazing. I'd pay to hear him do spoken word.

You hit on the one thing that I don't endorse with Brands. That maniac style of trying to control matches from the coaching box, which he absolutely won't stay in. I like what he stands for, but not the way he goes crazy during the matches.

Didn't they chuck him at NCAA's last year? I recall him sitting in the stands for a while due to some ruling or other. Maybe I am misremembering. Doesn't take away from what he stands for though, which is all good.

No ... he and Cael were sitting next to each other watching their wrestlers, as the Asst. Coaches were in the corners. However, Brands did in fact get all excited and hopped out of his seat and ran towards the mat. The bummer was, by doing so, he blocked the very very best camera angle to see if it was back points.

No question the guy is a character. And he is direct, and immovable in his convictions..

No ... he and Cael were sitting next to each other watching their wrestlers, as the Asst. Coaches were in the corners. However, Brands did in fact get all excited and hopped out of his seat and ran towards the mat. The bummer was, by doing so, he blocked the very very best camera angle to see if it was back points.

No question the guy is a character. And he is direct, and immovable in his convictions..

I think that was Brands and Ryan, not Brands and Cael