Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Flo Blows. Or Am I Wrong?

I definitely have my share of complaints about Flo, and they aren't getting my credit card number again(thanks scribe for visa gift card idea), but I have to admit the service today was very good.

madcat, can't fault you for being leery of the billing and/or customer service issues initially.

but they have come a long way since then. honestly, i myself said 'that's a good idea' when i read of the prepaid card, lol. however, im confident that's an unnecessary step now.our customer service is drastically improved and pretty on top of things.

and if anyone on here has any issues with billing, feel free to let me know (DM or post) and i'll assist.

and thanks for the kind words about the broadcast of vegas. i thought it went well too.

I couldn't make it to Vegas this year, and so I subscribed to Flo Pro for the first time. I thought the service was great! For years, there have been no live streams at all on events such as the CKLV... so it's not like many people were clamoring to make the investment and put in the work.

Sure, it's not cheap... so you decide what it's worth to you... but this is a niche product for a narrow fan base. Not exactly a target market that brings in big advertising dollars and broadcast-sized economies of scale. So if they can make a living off of wrestling, I'm happy to support that.

I did think the vegas broadcast was great, and I do know a few of the flo guys, husker du included, and think highly of them. However my complaints about the BS multiple subscriptions do stand, and I also have had problems with flo customer service in the past.

I do think the complaints about commentary are unnwarranted. I think Bader does a great job, as do most of the other flo regulars. I don't know how many of you have covered events live before, but I have, and its a lot harder than you seem to think it is.

i thought the flo coverage of CKLV and Edinboro were great. i really don't understand when people say "Flo Blows" etc. it's not like this stuff is readily available on your tv. wrestling coverage is usually hard to get; you either have to travel there yourself or pay to watch.

all i'm saying is try travelling to Edinboro Thursday then flying out to Vegas Friday and Saturday and only spending $20, oh yea and still be able to watch Walsh Ironman next weekend.

I did think the vegas broadcast was great, and I do know a few of the flo guys, husker du included, and think highly of them. However my complaints about the BS multiple subscriptions do stand, and I also have had problems with flo customer service in the past.

I do think the complaints about commentary are unwarranted. I think Bader does a great job, as do most of the other flo regulars. I don't know how many of you have covered events live before, but I have, and its a lot harder than you seem to think it is.

I do work for Comcast/High School Sports/Wrestling during the season. (4 years now) I am an old guy who has wrestled, and also still follow HS and college very closely. When I first started to do the "voice" for our High School events, I discovered it is a lot harder then you think. We watch a match, and in our minds know exactly what is going on to every little nuance. YET ... articulating it.... Is a whole 'nother deal.

NJDan ... get involved, and let us know how easy it is to announce/call a wrestling match live, and then get back to us.

Jaroslav Hasek, this is just an idiotic response. I can't play basketball as well as anyone in the NBA, does that mean I can't criticize the Knicks. I can't produce a football game. Does that mean I can't criticize a broadcast on NBC or Fox. I have never directed a movie, does that mean I cannot say a movie is bad or that one movie is better than another?

Instead of being defensive, you should produce a better product and charge less for it. Do basic things, like showing the score and stoping the constant buffering. Do at least as good a job as BTN or the colleges themselves do in streaming. If you did both, you'd make more money not less.

And while you are at it, don't put links of FB that are not visible to those who click.

Meanwhile, I would discourage schools or tourneys from giving you exclusive rights, even if you do pay some nominal rights fee.

Stopping the buffering !!! :lol: :roll: So now you want Flo to come to your house and upgrade your memory, and or CPU/Video in your PC?? The "pipe" from Flow has improved to the point where it is overwhelming most older PC's. It is a user issue ... NOT FLO.

A few people say it's gotten better, so maybe I'll give Flo another shot. If they made their rates more reasonable in relation to the amount of content and if they stopped their spamming, I'd be even more likely.

Flo is great. Be glad that it exists for people that do appreciate it. It's not their job to give something for nothing regardless if it was that way previously. The business grew which is now providing us the opportunity to see more great content and live events. I applaud what they do and I hope it never stops. Those they don't like it should just not pay and miss the opportunity to see the events.

Josh

I was charged $150 for Flocast. I signed up last year around this time does anyone know if they do this automatically? I didn't want to renew this year, Is this an automatic yearly debit thing? how can I get out of? I don't understand? Can anyone help or has this happened to anyone else. I was not notified of a renewal or I didn't check that I wanted it again.....thanks for any info

I am a big fan of Flo. They represents the new business model made possible by the internet where a couple guys with a passion can create a business that can reach out to the entire world. The challenging part of that is that you need to learn everything yourself and that means there are going to be bumps in the road (tech issues, broadcast quality). I know how hard it is to run a small business so it has been fun watching them build their's from the ground up. I think we all knew the free coverage by them was eventually going to end. I remember numerous threads asking how Flo even made any money back then.....

The coverage of Vegas was great and justified my monthly $20 fee by itself. Last year's coverage of the Scuffle was awesome! New Years Day, I'm home with the family, I've got football on my t.v and any mat I want on my computer. For me, it was better then being there....

Customer service can use some improvement; paid to watch Super 32, didn't get it and no offer of a refund. That is a problem and they need to change their business model in that regard. There are a few people that post here that refuse to buy Flo again because they weren't given a refund for tech problems. Can't operate that way fellas, refunds are part of the deal in business, even a partial would go a long way. Remember, a happy customer will tell 2 or 3 people while a dissatisfied one will tell 10 or 11. That's just the way it is in business.

Suggestion, offer a bundle of all services at some sort of discount. I think this would work out better for everyone involved....

Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives by a lot and it's easily worth the price during the season.

I was charged $150 for Flocast. I signed up last year around this time does anyone know if they do this automatically? I didn't want to renew this year, Is this an automatic yearly debit thing? how can I get out of? I don't understand? Can anyone help or has this happened to anyone else. I was not notified of a renewal or I didn't check that I wanted it again.....thanks for any info

Expect to be charged. Flo will be impossible to reach when you try to get the charged reversed, you will dispute it and then they will send you endless notices

Posters here will tell you it's an honest mistake related to growing pains. It always relates to overcharging customers (never under)

jstock, I get tired of hearing from so called "techies" that it's all about dumbas s people that don't know computers. Lots of time it has nothing to do with that. Servers, traffic, wireless signals are some of the things the user has no control over.

I think all of this Flo criticism should be helpful for Flo to improve their product and brand. To be defensive and condescending does not cut it. I too am thinking of going back, but I'm going to stick with BTN/BTDN/CBS ULIVE. We'll see how Flo improves going forward and maybe folks like myself will come back and add to their revenue.

BTW, being able to watch a full replay of a BTN event is great for people like me who can't always watch live.

Have no problem with their service per se, but their billing/financial program is amateurish at best. I am still reminded once a month that the CC I used that was expiring(for safety), has indeed expired over a year later. I paid for the All-Star match and then went to cancel the subscription, the option to unsubscribe was nowhere to be found on the website. The link that was provided to the cancellation page was just an endless loop. Just seems like a scummy way to do business, make it really easy to sign up... but to cancel it, they make you jump through hoops at their convenience. No thanks, they'll not get another dime from me until they show a little more concern with this part of their business, not the kind of operation I want having a CC number of mine.

The cost of their service is the amount of 1 night at a hotel room to one of these events. For every hater on this board I bet there is 1000 subscribers. I wish I would have thought of this 10 years ago and had the balls to pull it off. They keep getting better year after year.

So FLO pays for employees, A/V equipment, servers, bandwidth, storage, event rights, and travel. They travel all over the world and cover events that none of us would otherwise have access to. They develop original documentaries on the best wresters, tournaments, and teams in the country. They also archive hundreds if not thousands of online techniques from the top technicians in the country.

And... you are complaining about $20 per month? As some have said before, please start a competing service. The world of starting a company with no chance of actually making money only works with a product that everyone uses (Twitter). I applaud Flo for creating a sustainable business model that can provide wrestling junkies with our fix. Yes, there have been problems over the years...I have experienced several of them. Provide Flo feedback and help them make the service better.

I would also take a look at your motives for starting this thread. What good is it serving? Flo has changed the face of wrestling in many ways, and access to wrestling matches has become significantly better because of it. USAW has really stepped their game up in terms of video since Flo started. 10 years ago it was still difficult to find results. With TrackWRestling and Flo, we have almost ubiquitous access to results and video for high school and college events. Still some will complain....

The product is great! The customer service needs improvement. I am a paying subscriber, and was not able to login to FloPro, message said my card info needs updating (card is fine). I went ahead and entered different card info anyway, and now I see I'm being charged twice for service. Previously I submitted 2 inquiries through the customer service "Support" link, and have had no response. I'll email Ryan directly and see if he can help.

kong, if you're still having problems email ryan.sterner@flocasts.com

Sorry if I thought you worked for Flo. No offense intended.

As for the headline, I do not apologize-- everyone tries to grab attention. And I believe my criticism is indeed constructive.

It's not that you give criticism......it's HOW you do it.......you come off as an ahole.

I have flo and have had no problems with it........ when colleges are streaming they are getting help for FREE and I have major problems with the announcers of many of those streams.

I am very glad flo is doing what they do for wrestling. It has to cost, they have to pay for rights to broadcast.

Change your approach and life would be more pleasant for us all, maybe even you. :idea:

to answer your question.....IMO......you are WRONG.

I'll say it again, flo is the best thing to happen to wrestling in a very long time. I joined technique wave and what has now become flopro from the get go and have been happy all the way. As a HS coach they have been an immeasurable resource for me. I'm able to gain insight from the best our sport has to offer. The live events are just one aspect of their service. It's a free market, you don't like it, don't pay for it. Simple as that. I personally find it invaluable.

The product is great! The customer service needs improvement. I am a paying subscriber, and was not able to login to FloPro, message said my card info needs updating (card is fine). I went ahead and entered different card info anyway, and now I see I'm being charged twice for service. Previously I submitted 2 inquiries through the customer service "Support" link, and have had no response. I'll email Ryan directly and see if he can help.

kong, if you're still having problems email ryan.sterner@flocasts.com

yes, tecumseh, please email ryan. im confident he'll take care of it quickly. if he doesn't drop me a DM here.

Great points Zax and Anklepicker, with the exception of AnklePicker's last point.

AP,

If the latest E-Mail that Flo sent my direction had said "subscribe to FloPro and watch the Las Vegas invitational where a Stieber-Carter match looms", then you would have a better point. Instead it just had the Stieber-Carter lead with no mention of a subscription needed. That comes later, after you have been enticed by the "see it live" lead in.

And I have no problem with that. I think it invites a pay-per-view angle that should be considered a win-win. The fan gets to see something desirable. Flo gets paid something, PLUS gets a test with the viewer, who may decide to keep the subscription. I don't think that's uncommon in the subscription business.

The only thing inhibiting that would be perceived billing issues. Once that gets "publically" straightened out, I suspect Flo will gain more customers.

I just wanted to know if anyone had the same experience and if Flo just renews at the annual date you signed on for Flocast services? I was not prepared for it in the account it was coming out of. I would have liked to have a notice it was coming so I could of put money in it. I have enjoyed so many matches and it really has been worth it over the last year but with holidays coming I would have waited to after the new year then renewed then. I just do not know why they can just charge my account without a notice. I know that with BTDN I can check the status of my account and cancel when I wish to....

Great points Zax and Anklepicker, with the exception of AnklePicker's last point.

AP,

If the latest E-Mail that Flo sent my direction had said "subscribe to FloPro and watch the Las Vegas invitational where a Stieber-Carter match looms", then you would have a better point. Instead it just had the Stieber-Carter lead with no mention of a subscription needed. That comes later, after you have been enticed by the "see it live" lead in.

And I have no problem with that. I think it invites a pay-per-view angle that should be considered a win-win. The fan gets to see something desirable. Flo gets paid something, PLUS gets a test with the viewer, who may decide to keep the subscription. I don't think that's uncommon in the subscription business.

The only thing inhibiting that would be perceived billing issues. Once that gets "publically" straightened out, I suspect Flo will gain more customers.

I don't disagree that a pay per view event option would be a good idea but that wasn't and isn't what is offered and everyone who signed up for it knew that going in.