Sign in to follow this  
scribe

Logan Steiber will win the Hodge this year

If this season has shown us anything it's that upsets happen. In addition Logan has had the occasional clunker match. Should he win out and dominate--both distinct possibilities--then he will probably get it. Ruth's DUI works against him (it should) and Taylor, who is equally dominant, has less titles. Andrew Howe is the other name now in the running (he's already beaten Perry and Brown) but he's just not likely to match Logan's bonus total.

And, there's that little thing Logan's going after that only three guys have done.

I know to most this is old news but the main criteria for the trophy is awarded is to be based on Record, pins, "dominance", Credentials, quality of competition, sportsmanship/citizenship, and "Heart." How all that gets put into the equation to determine the actual he winner is anyone's guess, but that is what is said to be looked for when evaluating candidates.

I agree. I can't imagine anyone else in the running. Ruth is out so there is a huge gap between 2nd and 3rd guy. I like Steiber right now since he took a chance at the All star. Now if Taylor bumps up and takes on Howe Taylor has got my vote.

A commanding lead? I thought DT pins and techs everyone he sees. I don't know about Ruth, and his unique situation. Howe is very, very good, but he probably has the tougher field than any of the other three mentioned. If I was Maple, I'd go down to 41 for two primary reasons. One, there seems to be only one guy that can and not necessarily will beat him vs, about 6 guys at 49. The second reason is the potential to be mentioned along side Sooner Legend Mark Schultz for changing weights to match up with the best pfp guy. Not that he should beat the incredible Logan Stieber, but he sure has a better chance than anyone else at 41.

DWI or no DWI, Logie Bear is the Hodge winner. I also think he is the best wrestler in the country.

Me too. Stieber was every bit as good as I thought he would be coming out of HS. It's kind of amazing that I'm not in the least bit surprised that Logan is 2 for 2 at the ncaas. I kind of expected it.

Here's how I rankem:

3. DT paws and toys with a mouse on in string for, what seems like hours. He sits down and watches when dake's in the room.

2. Ruth pounces on and devours the mouse. But quaffs it down with a bottle of whiskey before hanging out at Taco Bell.

1. Logan spins the mouse around in amazingly effortless ways before snapping if away.

I thought Logan was a distant third coming into this year but I've definitely been proven wrong. He has to be a dominating frontrunner at this point

Why in the world would you think that Logan was a distant third?

Is there any history of off the mat activity keeping a wrestler from Hodge contention? I haven't heard of such a situation before....

Not that they will (or should) take it into account but you never know.

Sports Illustrated had an interesting piece about whether the FSU QB's date rape charge was going to affect the Heismann voting. Apparently there is some language there that could be interpreted to be about character. Don't know if there is anything similar in the Hodge description.

Is there any history of off the mat activity keeping a wrestler from Hodge contention? I haven't heard of such a situation before....

Not that they will (or should) take it into account but you never know.

Sports Illustrated had an interesting piece about whether the FSU QB's date rape charge was going to affect the Heismann voting. Apparently there is some language there that could be interpreted to be about character. Don't know if there is anything similar in the Hodge description.

Hodge criteria: 1. Record 2. Number of pins 3. Dominance 4. Past credentials 5. Quality of competition 6. Sportsmanship/citizenship 7. Heart

Sorry, SHP, anyone who thought Dake didn't deserve it last year is not objective. He was the clear winner based on these criteria, and it was not close.

This year, however, it's between Stieber and Taylor. Ruth is completely out of the picture because anyone who drives drunk fails #6, period. Even if you get As on everything else, with an F on the report card, you're out.

Despite Taylor being a senior, Stieber has as many NCAA titles, including the most recent title between the two and an impeccable record at NCAAs. He's also coming off an undefeated season, whereas Taylor lost multiple times (albeit to one of the three best of all time). He also went up and beat the 149 lb pre-season #1, an NCAA champ from a higher weight. He also looks to be wrecking more much shop than Taylor, but up a weight. He also has a little better competition than Taylor at 165 this year, in my opinion, and significantly better if you include his win over Maple (which Hodge does consider even if it's an exhibition for official NCAA record purposes). They are dead even on sportsmanship/citizenship, truly two of the best kids to ever grace the mats in D1. I am a huge fan of both kids' characters. As for heart, it's hard to define what that really means, but I'd put both dead even on this last criterion.

I like Stieber because I think he'll run the table in as dominant a fashion as Taylor but record more pins, and he'll have the impeccable NCAA record to one-up Taylor.

Here's how I rankem:

3. DT paws and toys with a mouse on in string for, what seems like hours. He sits down and watches when dake's in the room.

2. Ruth pounces on and devours the mouse. But quaffs it down with a bottle of whiskey before hanging out at Taco Bell.

1. Logan spins the mouse around in amazingly effortless ways before snapping if away.

I guess this is too smart for me? No clue what you're saying.

FWIW, Taylor is 10-0 with 7 falls and 2 TF and a 20-7 major over Brian Brill, so he has 7 falls in 10 matches. Taylor also has the major over Moreno in the NWCA Classic.

I can only piece together Logan's record, but I think he has 6 falls in 8 matches. He also has the close win in TB over Maple in the NWCA Classic.

I don't think this is totally over just yet.

FWIW, Taylor is 10-0 with 7 falls and 2 TF and a 20-7 major over Brian Brill, so he has 7 falls in 10 matches. Taylor also has the major over Moreno in the NWCA Classic.

I can only piece together Logan's record, but I think he has 6 falls in 8 matches. He also has the close win in TB over Maple in the NWCA Classic.

I don't think this is totally over just yet.

On point.