Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Is Rob Koll the best coach in Division 1?

I know that Cael, John Smith and Brands get most of the attention, but a strong case can be made that Rob Koll is the best college coach. I know that Cael, Smith and Brands and J. Rob. have the titles, but look at what Koll does with what he 'd got.

Leen, Bosak, Simaz, and going back to Travis Lee were all top 100 recruits, but far from the Top 10. And Koll coaches them all to national titles. On this year's team, Gabe Dean and Nahshon Garrett were both in he bottom of the top 100 coming out of high school. Garrett has already taken third and looks ready for more. The same is true of Dean.

Koll has gotten some blue chips, too. Nickerson was a 4x All American and NCAA champ, despite a bad shoulder. Lewnes was a3x AA, and a finalist. Mike Grey, perhaps a slight underachiever, but still a 2X AA. Dake was highly ranked, but not at the very top. It's true that the blue chip recruits on this year's team, Villalonga and Peppelman, have yet to stand out. But it looks like Villalonga is making a run this year. Peppelman is the one mystery. All told, Koll does a great job with the very good high school guys and a very good job with the great high school guys. And he does it with a team in the Ivy League and the EIWA, not the Big 10 or the Big 12.

Reax?

Not that familiar with Zalesky. But Koll's teams have a bunch of top 5 finishes in the NCAA's an a bunch of individual champs. I don't think that Oregon State under Zalesky has either (though excuse me if I am forgetting a Beaver national champ).

I think Kolls great as well, I would through Endiboro coach in( think Flynn), I live close North Pittsburgh

and man Endiboro is a tough sale! really small and not much around at All his kids are surely not the

top high school recruits but there definetly is something happening in that room! Competitive every year!

If he's not he best, he's right up there with the top guys, that's for sure.

Still, until he gets the hardware, it's tough to argue he's literally the best. I know that's a bit unfair given the academic demands and the lack of a legacy (pre-Koll) of the school, but when you're calling for a #1 ranking, I think hardware matters.

What I think he is the best at is program-building. I'm not sure anyone can touch him in that department, which is a very important part of being a good coach. Flo had a series on Koll and Dake last year and I remember an interview in which Koll said he was making something like $20k all-in when he was first hired and had to resort to funding travel through tactics such as putting ads on T-shirts. Obviously, Cornell is in a very different situation now, with arguably the most enviable situation of any program out there: the most alumni financial support with tremendous program and job security for all involved, a great package that combines elite wrestling and academics to attract top recruits differentially, and a legacy of national-level success. Unless I am getting my years mixed up, it seems to me most of that transformation occurred under Koll's tenure as a head coach.

All that said, as a pure wrestling coach, it's hard to ignore Cael's impact on PSU and the dynasty he created with record speed. He's the Tom Brady of D1 wrestling coaching and therefore my #1. I don't think it's that close, either.

Sorry if there's a joke here that I'm not getting ... Cornell has had a top 5 recruiting class in three of the past four years. Villalonga, Peppleman, Mark Gray, Realbuto ... They're all top 10 recruits. Nickerson was the #3 recruit his year. Dake was #4. Mike Gray was #3. Cornell gets great recruits. And there's nothing special about their history of overachieving ... Cam Simaz was the #54 recruit and ended up with a 1st, two thirds and an 8th place finish at NCAAs. Frank Molinaro was ranked 68th the same year and had 1st, 2nd, 5th and 8th place finishes. Koll is a great coach, but this is silly

Koll is great but how many college coaches get to make a team from 2 colleges? What if Cael could make a team from Main Campus and say Penn State Dubois for kids that are stud wrestlers but do not have the academic credentials to go to State College?

When you look at pure coaching, Tim Flynn is the man. Flynn deserves COTY.

Tim flynn is the best coach in the country and I have heard many college coaches agree I don't think koll would have been nearly as successful if he had taken a job at edinboro where he couldn't leverage some wealthy donors and had to rely on his coaching alone

Cael can coach and recruit but it is hard to remove his brand from the equation to see where he would be if he wasn't such a legend on the mat sou every rueucruuit knows him while flynn wasn't the legend on the mat but man does he build depth and quality athletes in a dump of a town that is misserable to be in that has middle of the road facilities for d2

No one does more with less than flynn

I have had the opportunity to meet and speak with Coach Koll on more than one occasion in the last 4 months, I know he is the best coach for my kid in the nation. He is an innovator, highly intelligent and very motivated for his athletes. The athletes can see this and do respect him to the nth degree. He is very clear that the athlete can make the difference in his program through their dedication, plus they leave with terrific degree. The facilities at Cornell are awesome! Dedicated building with stadium seating and an awesome sound system and complete workout facility!. Koll has the ability to sell his program to others and they invest in the future of Cornell wrestling. Now with Dake making waves at the international level the recruiting process has now become easier. Better athletes are interested in Cornell and the team will be so much stronger. Other programs may be getting the overall title, look at this years recruiting for Penn. They may have all the blue chippies but they will not win all the titles.

I like Koll also. Northwestern university just signed the top ranked recruiting class according to WIN Magazine.Plus they have two studs redshirt ing this year. Jacob Schmidt true frosh just beat top twenty Malone at 33 and was OW! Trirtsis will be ranked number one this week if Dardenas loses today.

Cael can coach and recruit but it is hard to remove his brand from the equation to see where he would be if he wasn't such a legend on the mat so every recruit knows him while Flynn wasn't the legend on the mat but man does he build depth and quality athletes in a dump of a town that is miserable to be in that has middle of the road facilities for d2

Which raises the question: Is it really meaningful to try to remove his "brand" from the equation? Should there really be a distinction between being a good coach/good recruiter? The playing field will never be completely equal, which is the case in nearly all facets of life.

And if we do it here, why not everywhere else? One could argue, for example: "If Logan Stieber weren't so naturally strong/quick, and if he didn't have access to elite training opportunities since he was a preteen, he probably wouldn't place as high at ncaas every year. The kid who started wrestling at 14 years old, at an average high school program, who later goes to a low ranked D1 program, and finishes as a Rd12 is really the better wrestler!"

Would we take that argument seriously?

the reason I mention it is not because it should be removed but because kids looking to get developed should look at this for themselves I guess I consider coaching to be different than program executive even though they are the same person

If I am a athletic director I am hiring cael over flynn but if I am a state placer or even blue chip wrestler who wants to reach my potential I would be crazy to not give flynn serious consideration

I find it funny that there was an article posted on here about how cael plays annoying music and things at practice to get the wrestlers out of their comfort zone while the reason they picked psu is partly due to the School making everything so cushy for the athletes but flynn doesn't have to do any of that since they aren't pampered

No, he is not. Unless you win some ncaa team titles, you can't be seriously considered for that distinction. There's no good reason to put him ahead of Cael right now.

Other than the fact Cael has 10 full scholarships and my dog could get into PSU.

Tim flynn is the best coach in the country and I have heard many college coaches agree I don't think koll would have been nearly as successful if he had taken a job at edinboro where he couldn't leverage some wealthy donors and had to rely on his coaching alone

Can't argue with your praise of Tim Flynn, but to say Koll wouldn't have been nearly as successful there is silly.

"leverage some wealthy donors"

The people that contribute to the endowment at Cornell have never been leveraged by anyone.

The kid who started wrestling at 14 years old, at an average high school program, who later goes to a low ranked D1 program, and finishes as a Rd12 is really the better wrestler!"

You mean like Nashan Garrett??

I can really appreciate Rob Koll for what he has done at Cornell. and it is obvious his wrestlers love him. But so the kids at Iowa love Brands, the kids at Okie State love Smith, and the kids at Penn State love Cael Sanderson.

With three consecutive team titles, Cael Sanderson of Penn State is the one who objectively is the best coach.

Koll is great but how many college coaches get to make a team from 2 colleges? What if Cael could make a team from Main Campus and say Penn State Dubois for kids that are stud wrestlers but do not have the academic credentials to go to State College?

This is an incredibly ignorant statement and I'm not sure it even merits a reply, but I'll humor it. There is only one Cornell. Granted, it has branch campuses in NYC and Doha, Qatar for medical and other graduate students, but that is not what we are talking about.

Universities are, by definition, made up of colleges. A brief look at Penn State- Colle websites reveal the following colleges: Agricultural Sciences,Arts and Architecture, Business: Smeal College, Communications, Earth and Mineral Sciences, Education, Engineering, Health and Human Development, Information Sciences and Technology, Nursing, Science: Eberly College. Students in any of these colleges are eligible to compete for PSU.

David Taylor for example is a graduate of the college of Health and Human Development.

Likewise, Cornell has 7: Arts and science, Agriculture and Life science, Engineering, Architecture-Art-and-Planning, Human Ecology, Industrial and Labor Relations, and Hotel Administration.

Any student at any of these colleges is a part of the same campus... the same university. Any recruited athlete has to meet only Cornell's standards, but the Ivy League's Academic Index.

I think the confusion comes from the fact that some colleges at Cornell are "contract colleges." This is a unique relationship that only exists at Cornell, Syracuse, and Alfred University. Essentially what this means is that the state of NY supplies guaranteed funding to certain programs at these Universities. In return, the Universities reduce tuition for NY residents enrolling in these programs and focus a portion of the research done by these departments on affairs related to NY state. It carries no other connotation. They are still privately owned colleges and part of the same university. They are not necessarily any easier to be accepted to.

Granted, some colleges are less competitive than others, but this is natural considering that there are far more students interested in studying psychology than atmospheric science for example. In fact, some of the contract colleges have higher admissions statistics than some of the endowed colleges.

If your curious about the competitiveness of any Cornell program, I'll link some statistics I found through a brief google search below. No disrespect to Penn State, and I'm only using them as an example because you brought them up, but EVERY college at Cornell is significantly more competitive than ANY college at Penn State.

http://irp.dpb.cornell.edu/tableau_visual/admissions

http://irp.dpb.cornell.edu/wordpress/wp ... eshmen.pdf

The kid who started wrestling at 14 years old, at an average high school program, who later goes to a low ranked D1 program, and finishes as a Rd12 is really the better wrestler!"

You mean like Nashan Garrett??

Yeah, someone like Garrett. Would you take an argument for Garret being a better wrestler than Stieber seriously? I wouldn't.

I can really appreciate Rob Koll for what he has done at Cornell. and it is obvious his wrestlers love him. But so the kids at Iowa love Brands, the kids at Okie State love Smith, and the kids at Penn State love Cael Sanderson.

With three consecutive team titles, Cael Sanderson of Penn State is the one who objectively is the best coach.

I agree that Cael is the best right now.

Can't argue with your praise of Tim Flynn, but to say Koll wouldn't have been nearly as successful there is silly.

"leverage some wealthy donors"

The people that contribute to the endowment at Cornell have never been leveraged by anyone.

To clarify I mean as successful as he has been at cornell not saying he couldn't find success similaur to flynn but tou only look at top 5 teams to try tou figure out who the best coach is wouldn't be right koll is a fine coach but I still think flynn has shown he can develop talent the best don't see any busts in edinboro but there have been some in ithaca and state college but maybe that is just bc expectations are lowers for where edinboro recruits should finish who knows just looks like flynn is the best coach but doesn't have the best program

Friedman hasn't been a huge impact to cornell wrestling enabling them to sell the best ruecruits please tell me what were the selling points listed by the dad that posted on this thread surely he didn't mention anything made possible by freidman or any of the other weaulthy donors

If my kid was talented enough to wrestle at that level, Rob Koll would be my choice for a coach. Why?

1. He has developed a consistent Top 5 program at an Ivy League program. Cornell may be at the bottom rung of the Ivy's, but that puts them above 90% of the other wrestling programs in terms of the type of students they must recruit. If you can spell your name, you can get into Edinboro (no offense to coach Flynn). This restriction makes it highly unlikely that Cornell can ever win a team title.

2. He is a normal guy. Koll is a great communicator & can relate equally to his wrestlers and the donors who help fund his program. If Rob Koll stopped coaching wrestling, he would be successful at whatever he chose to pursue because of his tremendous communication skills. Cael, Brands and Smith are wrestling coaches....that's it.

3. He works with all styles of wrestling. When you watch Okie State, Iowa or Penn State, you see the heavy influence of the coaches. Koll seems to be able develop kids who bring all different types of styles.

4. He develops kids who are not top tier coming out of high school. Cael has an automatic influx of the best kids in the country. Koll gets kids like Simaz, Bosak, Jordan Leen etc...and takes them to the next level.

5. Cornell wrestlers are better prepared for life after wrestling. If you want an Olympic Gold Medal, perhaps you need to go to the Big 3, but if you want to compete for a national title then pursue a career...you can't beat Cornell for that combination. Listen to Cornell wrestlers speak. You can tell they are educated and motivated kids. That is a reflection of their coach.