Sign in to follow this  
SetonHallPirate

2015-18 sites announced

you can do NYC cheap. your choice of 3 airports to fly into and then you can stay in long island or new jersey and take a direct shot commuter train into Penn Station/MSG. as long as you dont mind a 45 minute trip each way and dont need to stay the night in Manhattan you can do it for about the cost of anywhere else.

should be awesome. lots of friends and family in the area. just might have to go to my first ever championship.

you can do NYC cheap. your choice of 3 airports to fly into and then you can stay in long island or new jersey and take a direct shot commuter train into Penn Station/MSG. as long as you dont mind a 45 minute trip each way and dont need to stay the night in Manhattan you can do it for about the cost of anywhere else.

should be awesome. lots of friends and family in the area. just might have to go to my first ever championship.

Its not just the hotels. Food and drinks between sessions also have to be figured in. I don't have to fly there so it will be a cheaper trip for me, but I would have rather seen Pittsburgh get a crack at it. Pittsburgh has everything you need for a venue to please the fans.

Did a quick look at the approximate seating capacity for these arenas

Scottrade 19,000

MSG 18,000

Quicken Loans Arena 20,000

Are these about right? I looked at what they hold for hockey and subracted a couple hundred.

Pretty bummed that Philadelphia did not get another chance. Last time it was there it set attendance records. Plus with the addition of xfinity live center it would only add into the excitement. I think it could contend with St. Louis with this added bonus. NYC is going to be a costly site even if you stay across the river in Jersey. Add in Food/Drink everyday in Manhattan will add up quick. I am also excited to see Cleveland get a shot at holding the championship. I am sure it will bring in a strong Ohio fan base.

Pretty bummed that Philadelphia did not get another chance. Last time it was there it set attendance records. Plus with the addition of xfinity live center it would only add into the excitement. I think it could contend with St. Louis with this added bonus. NYC is going to be a costly site even if you stay across the river in Jersey. Add in Food/Drink everyday in Manhattan will add up quick. I am also excited to see Cleveland get a shot at holding the championship. I am sure it will bring in a strong Ohio fan base.

Keep in mind that New York has some of the lowest airfares in the country.

Its not just the hotels. Food and drinks between sessions also have to be figured in. I don't have to fly there so it will be a cheaper trip for me, but I would have rather seen Pittsburgh get a crack at it. Pittsburgh has everything you need for a venue to please the fans.

if you plan on dining out they yeah, the bills will get steep in a hurray. but, if you being cost conscious you can find cheap alternatives in the city or just BYOB your lunch/snacks.

if you plan a head and put in a little extra time you can keep your total costs to the same level as anywhere else. the trade off is more time/money for the NYC experience over say, St Louis (snore) or Philly (barf).

just kidding about St Louis and Philly (kinda sorta).

I loved Philly in 2011 and sure it is way better now.

With NYC I can save with no hotel but the NJ Transit/Path daily roundtrip tab will be $31 - well in 2 years probably more.

If you drive in with tolls & parking it will cost a lot more.

Hopefully the tickets will be the same as for other cities.

if you plan on dining out they yeah, the bills will get steep in a hurray. but, if you being cost conscious you can find cheap alternatives in the city or just BYOB your lunch/snacks.

Actually, restaurants in NYC can be surprisingly affordable, but as in any big city if you stay in the main tourist areas (right around MSG, 42nd street, etc) you can get fleeced. what's great about New York is the sheer variety available. If you are prepared to do a little homework, and maybe travel just a little off the main drag, there's plenty of good choices.

Super pumped for NYC.

If you do it right a tournament in New York doesn't have to cost too much more than a tournament in Philadelphia, or even St. Louis. People worried about food prices can just avoid eating at sit-down restaurants, but there are plenty of reasonably priced places to eat within a short subway ride or walking distance of literally anywhere in Manhattan.

I don't know about all of you but I'd be willing to pay a pretty hefty premium to NOT be marooned in Des Moines for a few days. Just thinking of ESPN coverage... "Live from Madison Square Garden in New York City" sounds a hell of a lot better than Des Moines, Iowa, or Oklahoma City.

Actually, restaurants in NYC can be surprisingly affordable, but as in any big city if you stay in the main tourist areas (right around MSG, 42nd street, etc) you can get fleeced. what's great about New York is the sheer variety available. If you are prepared to do a little homework, and maybe travel just a little off the main drag, there's plenty of good choices.

actually, that is precisely the point i was attempting to make. i do make quite a few typos tho.

anyway, bottom line is, no other venue is going to let you walk a few blocks to a korean karaoke hall where you can party until 6am. so basically new york city is the winner.

Super pumped for NYC.

If you do it right a tournament in New York doesn't have to cost too much more than a tournament in Philadelphia, or even St. Louis. People worried about food prices can just avoid eating at sit-down restaurants, but there are plenty of reasonably priced places to eat within a short subway ride or walking distance of literally anywhere in Manhattan.

I don't know about all of you but I'd be willing to pay a pretty hefty premium to NOT be marooned in Des Moines for a few days. Just thinking of ESPN coverage... "Live from Madison Square Garden in New York City" sounds a hell of a lot better than Des Moines, Iowa, or Oklahoma City.

How were you marooned in Des Moines? You came to town to watch a wrestling tournament that you spent 75% of your time at and then the rest of the time if you couldnt find cheap entertainment or a bar with cheap beer and food, then you werent trying.

I dont know about you, but when I'm watching a game on TV I dont keep watching it or turn the channel based on where the game is being played. I care about who is on the field or on the mat in this case.

The comments about being able to eat and drink reasonably in NYC are true. Particularly the area around Madison Square Garden is not the most expensive area by any means. Plenty of cheap place to go within a short walking distance. And you won't have to worry that all the fans are trying to cram into the same five places by the arena. Plus, if you want to treat yourself to a really good meal you can have any kind of food you can imagine. Tons of choice and everything within a walk or quick subway ride. It will be interesting to try once. Though I agree with those disappointed about Philly. Having the Xfinity Center was the last piece of the puzzle to make that venue ideal.

I was really hoping for Philadelphia again but if it was Pittsburgh, I still would of been pretty happy with those selections. As it is, how does PA get shut out? Philadelphia sold out in record time and broke the attendance record; PA has more Div I Programs and more NCAA qualifiers then any other state and the current 3 time team champion happens to reside there. St. Louis twice in four years is completely unnecessary, imo. The silver lining, for me at least, is that New York is the same drive for me as Philadelphia (2hrs) so no flying in 2016.

I was really hoping for Philadelphia again but if it was Pittsburgh, I still would of been pretty happy with those selections. As it is, how does PA get shut out? Philadelphia sold out in record time and broke the attendance record; PA has more Div I Programs and more NCAA qualifiers then any other state and the current 3 time team champion happens to reside there. St. Louis twice in four years is completely unnecessary, imo. The silver lining, for me at least, is that New York is the same drive for me as Philadelphia (2hrs) so no flying in 2016.

I pretty much echo these sentiments. Was really hoping for Pittsburgh in the new Consol Energy Center at least one of those four years. But, like FT, I will settle for our neighbor, which is the two hour drive to Cleveland. Maybe I'll finally meet Lakewood Steve.