Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

Ref disqualifies wrestler

Can a ref DQ a wrestler without issuing a single penalty or misconduct?

Last night at a high school dual meet, a ref disqualified a wrestler in the 3rd period for doing the "5-on-2" hold aka the "grip'n'rip". I had never seen a ref do that before, and it shocked me, so I want to ask if anyone knows if the ref has this kind of power, and if the DQ was justified. Here's what happened:

The home team wrestler is up by 10 or 12 by the end of the second period and is blatantly and repeatedly grabbing the away team's wrestler's genitals as well as "checking the oil". At the start of the third period, the losing wrestler complains to the ref and the ref issues a verbal warning (but no caution, penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct etc.) to the wrestler engaging in the behavior. By 30 seconds into the third period, the winning wrestler continues the behavior to the boos and jeers of the away team crowd. The ref blows the whistle, waves his hands in the air, and raises the losing wrestler's hand with over 1:00 on the clock. The ref doesn't issue a single penalty, or caution, and only explains that the wrestler "kept doing that after I told him not to."

I don't want to condone this kind of wrestling, but I really don't understand how the ref can DQ a wrestler with such a minimal explanation. If I'm reffing a match and I don't want that stuff happening, I'll verbally warn the wrestler, then start issuing penalties. Why take the match into your own hands?

TL;DR- can the ref just DQ a wrestler at any point during the bout?

edit: spelling

It's called flagrant misconduct. Of course, he can.

According to the NFHS Ref Signal chart, the ref did do the the "flagrant misconduct" signal. I had never seen that before and it didn't register until gimpeltf responded.

Thanks for the responses.

Maybe I'm just ignorant as all heck, but can anyone tell me why some wrestlers "check the oil?" Is that to humiliate, or does it actually serve some kind of holding purpose?

Baffles the heck out of me. :?:

As I understand it (never experienced it in my career), it's an attempt to throw the other wrestler off and bother him enough to momentarily not score. Some people will argue that if it's between losing the Big Match X and goosing a guy, that the latter sounds preferable.

Maybe I'm just ignorant as all heck, but can anyone tell me why some wrestlers "check the oil?" Is that to humiliate, or does it actually serve some kind of holding purpose?

As I understand it (never experienced it in my career), it's an attempt to throw the other wrestler off and bother him enough to momentarily not score.

Wow! I wonder if they ever thought about just talking smack as a way to do the same but less "intrusive?"

I could get into my opponent's head when I boxed, simply by talking smack and getting them so ticked off they they left themselves wide open. :)

Maybe the "5-on-2" and the "bowling ball butt drag" should be put into the rulebook as points of emphasis, though it might be difficult to get the accompanying demonstration photos...yikes!

As it stands right now, "5-on-2" and the "oil check" fall under the ref's discretion. The rules explicitly prohibit biting, striking, gouging, etc., but leave the door open with "including, but not limited to:"

If we don't want this in wrestling, just itemize it. "Groping," "probing," "inappropriate touching"

This thread makes me sick. If somebody checks my oil they are getting their teeth knocked out. Atleast until im 50 when the doc checks my prostate. At that time i will request a skinny beautiful woman in her 20's to do the dirty work. Not a 62 year old fat sausage fingered old man that grunts when hes in there like ive had nightmares about.

Can a ref DQ a wrestler without issuing a single penalty or misconduct?

Last night at a high school dual meet, a ref disqualified a wrestler in the 3rd period for doing the "5-on-2" hold aka the "grip'n'rip". I had never seen a ref do that before, and it shocked me, so I want to ask if anyone knows if the ref has this kind of power, and if the DQ was justified. Here's what happened:

The home team wrestler is up by 10 or 12 by the end of the second period and is blatantly and repeatedly grabbing the away team's wrestler's genitals as well as "checking the oil". At the start of the third period, the losing wrestler complains to the ref and the ref issues a verbal warning (but no caution, penalty, unsportsmanlike conduct etc.) to the wrestler engaging in the behavior. By 30 seconds into the third period, the winning wrestler continues the behavior to the boos and jeers of the away team crowd. The ref blows the whistle, waves his hands in the air, and raises the losing wrestler's hand with over 1:00 on the clock. The ref doesn't issue a single penalty, or caution, and only explains that the wrestler "kept doing that after I told him not to."

I don't want to condone this kind of wrestling, but I really don't understand how the ref can DQ a wrestler with such a minimal explanation. If I'm reffing a match and I don't want that stuff happening, I'll verbally warn the wrestler, then start issuing penalties. Why take the match into your own hands?

TL;DR- can the ref just DQ a wrestler at any point during the bout?

edit: spelling

Sounds like flagrant misconduct and a well deserved loss.

Its pretty hard to turn the corner on a shot when a guy has his arm halfway up your ass. Im with WildTurkey on this one. Even in practice, if a guy checks my oil, Im throwing punches. There is no reason why sodomy in a sporting match should be dealt with in any way other than violence.

This thread is yet another that has caused me to laugh. I agree with the sentiment that if someone puts finger/hand/arm/whatever up my ass, we're throwing right there.

My brother had a guy try it in his first collegiate match. My brother's response was to knee him in the side of the head, knocking him out cold.

Ban, I thought you liberals were ok with this stuff?

We are, especially in sports!

It's only in the privacy of our own homes that us them there libruls have a problem with it cause it ain't natral, and how Sarah Supreme Court Rulings Palin says when quoting the Bible, "its gross." (Note the missing apostrophe ;) )

My brother had a guy try it in his first collegiate match. My brother's response was to knee him in the side of the head, knocking him out cold.

As it should be.......... also if a TEAM is doing this they are being coached to do it......coach should be fired

had a guy grab and squish my family jewels once.......... that was a BAD mistake by him.... made him hurt for nearly the rest of the match..........then pinned him with a few seconds left.

This is potentially sexual assault. This is also not the best thing for the sport's image. What would you think if a basketball player sodomized his opponent so that he could have a better chance of making a three pointer? There should be no tolerance for this sort of thing.

This is probably not the best thing for the sport's image. What would you think if a basketball player fingered his opponent's butt for a better chance of making a three pointer? It's also potentially sexual assault. There should be no tolerance for this sort of thing.

Why would he want his opponent to have a better chance of making the 3 point shot? I digress...

Anyway, I don't think that we have to worry about this "image problem" outside of the sport. Being that many of us in the sport are not even aware of it, I would be certain that outsiders to the sport would have ZERO idea that this occurs, and nor is it publicized.

Anyway, I don't think that we have to worry about this "image problem" outside of the sport. Being that many of us in the sport are not even aware of it, I would be certain that outsiders to the sport would have ZERO idea that this occurs, and nor is it publicized.

Several dads with years of wrestling experience needed me to explain what happened, and it was flagrant. Is this more common now than it was in c. the Dark Ages?

This is probably not the best thing for the sport's image. What would you think if a basketball player fingered his opponent's butt for a better chance of making a three pointer? It's also potentially sexual assault. There should be no tolerance for this sort of thing.

Why would he want his opponent to have a better chance of making the 3 point shot? I digress...

In 2010 it was publicized in CA as well as other media outlets in the U.S.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=7830788

In 2010 it was publicized in CA as well as other media outlets in the U.S.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?id=7830788

OK, one case. Aside from that, I haven't heard a thing about it making much national headway in the news.

There was a kid, I believe in PA, that was hit for flagrant misconduct after his state finals match. He lost because he repeatedly didn't follow the referee's position starting procedure. You can't hear what he said but you can sort of read his lips and he was less than happy with the ref.

The thing is in that case all his tournament wins are vacated as well as loosing his placement so he lost his second place finish for swearing at the ref.

So in short he was DQ'd from a tournament after his last match was already done.

Agree with most on here.

No place in the sport for the "5 on 2" or "oil check".

Had my oil checked in practice as a freshman in college and threw back some elbows immediately.

Got the 5 on 2 my senior year in a scramble, kid scored on me and ref definitely saw it. 3rd period the kid shot a Hi C on me so I scooted the corner and more than evened the score in that game.

Kids that do this are plain scumbags and their coaches should pull them.

If they are teaching it, then capital punishment is necessary.