Sign in to follow this  
JasonBryant

New Division II program in New York

NICE, that Long Island wrestlers will have an option- depending upon ability to choose higher learning Institutions that not only fit their educational needs, costs, etc etc also, that allows them a choice to find their right level as to competitive ability. In the past 20 yrs many FINE wrestlers had ONLY the choice of Hofstra ($ 50,000 up) , Buffalo (8 hrs to the Arctic) or with the high academic entrance standards at Binghamton Univ. it made it nearly impossible for many. DIII seemed to be the only option usually, Cortland, Brockport. The BEST wrestlers- had to leave the State.

Starting to also believe that their might be a combined DI/DII/DIII NCAA Tourney in the not too distant future. Parity is the standard in most College Sports these days.

Husky,

Won't happen. Won't even be entertained. If you want to be a Division I champion, make the grades, select a school that can give you that goal and go for it. There have been so many changes now the requirements for D2 and D3 are way different. The NCAA won't add more qualifiers to accommodate either, so the biggest negative is taking away qualifying spots from D1 eligible athletes and giving then to non D1 wrestlers. That's a huge negative.

It's a tired point. It might have been cool back in the day, but if you want that to happen, it's going to cost some d1 kids an opportunity to make the show.

Husky,

Won't happen. Won't even be entertained. If you want to be a Division I champion, make the grades, select a school that can give you that goal and go for it. There have been so many changes now the requirements for D2 and D3 are way different. The NCAA won't add more qualifiers to accommodate either, so the biggest negative is taking away qualifying spots from D1 eligible athletes and giving then to non D1 wrestlers. That's a huge negative.

It's a tired point. It might have been cool back in the day, but if you want that to happen, it's going to cost some d1 kids an opportunity to make the show.

To make it happen the NCAA would have to give its blessing in the first place so I do not see why if they would agree to the mega tournament they wouldn't add a couple more qualifiers to each weight class. Either the NCAA would be behind the push or they wouldn't.

Giving the lower division champs a shot would help wrestling as a sport in my opinion. And since there is only 1 guy from each division that would be able to enter it wouldn't mean this huge influx of new guys who are circumventing the harsh D1 qualifying process.

(

Going the D1 route would always give you the best shot at reaching the podium of the D1 tournament even if they allowed ONE guy from each lower division back in.

Husky,

I remember talking to Dave Icenhower many years ago about this. He said that most D3 coaches were in favor of it because they did not like competing with Trenton State who at that time was fielding D1 level wrestlers. Back in the day Coach Icenhower's teams dominated Division 3. I also knew D1 coaches who did not like being denied having a wrestler earn the "prized All American status" because they got beat by a D3 or D2 wrestler.

It was definitely good for wrestling when all levels could attend the D1 tournament. I understand the unfairness of a D2 or D3 athlete competing in the tournament who were not earning the same academic standing as a D1 grappler. That is a very easy fix though; just require the D2 & 3 kid to make the same grades as everyone else.

Unfortunately Jason is correct that this is a tired point.

Four years ago a certain Long Island guy mentioned Stony Brook U - and people scorned and joked about his suggestion . He also. criticized the principles in having an unaffordable Long Island DI Institution such as Hofstra. Still, many passed judgement on the JV Quitter. He mentioned wrestling showcases in MSG. He asked why the NYS Tourney had only Section Champs.?????? Anyone else see a pattern .

Some sit quietly on their throwns because they believe they should be there- others think, shake their head and :roll:

Four years ago a certain Long Island guy mentioned Stony Brook U - and people scorned and joked about his suggestion . He also. criticized the principles in having an unaffordable Long Island DI Institution such as Hofstra. Still, many passed judgement on the JV Quitter. He mentioned wrestling showcases in MSG. He asked why the NYS Tourney had only Section Champs.?????? Anyone else see a pattern .

Some sit quietly on their throwns because they believe they should be there- others think, shake their head and :roll:

And some posters have been thrown off their self-appointed thrones because they were so annoying.