Sign in to follow this  
OUcat

Best coaching gigs in college wrestling

If every coaching job was open how would you rank them? A few things I looked at. Prestige, history, recruiting, AD support...

1. Iowa

2. Ok. State

3. Ohio State

4. Penn State

5. Oklahoma/Minnesota

Without your entering your rationale for each selection, this seems like a silly exercise. I suspect that many would rank PSU, Minny, and Oklahoma ahead of Ohio State. What caused you to rank Ohio State as #3? They've never won the NCAAs, so I'd want to see how you support their placement before I explained why I felt differently.

Wouldn't the best job be the one where you get multiple contract extensions reguardless of your wrestler development and team record. :) Or is that just the easiest one.

If that's the criteria then it would have to be Mich St.

1.Iowa

2.Oklahoma St.

3.Minnesota

4.Penn St.

5.Oklahoma

6.Iowa St.

7.Ohio St.

8.Cornell

9.Missouri

10.Illinois

I factored in prestige, ability to recruit, expectations, pay, past success, and a few other things.

I really like Gonzo's list, but I would put Minnesota number one, mainly because they are the only D1 wrestling program in the state of MN. Iowa and OK ST will always have to recruit against in state teams in IA ST and OK. I think that (and that I am a huge MN fan) gives MN a very slight edge IMO. It will be interesting to hear who all puts their name in the hat for the Job when J Rob steps down. Obviously Eggum is a front runner, but if they open it up to a national search and interview process will we see Morgan, Kish, Russell, Hahn, Schwab, etc. throw their name in the discussion?

Wouldn't the best job be the one where you get multiple contract extensions reguardless of your wrestler development and team record. :) Or is that just the easiest one.

If that's the criteria then it would have to be Mich St.

With Indiana in 2nd place

Lehigh would have to be on the list. Great support from the administration and alumni; fully funded and endowed program; excellent recruiting and history; plus perhaps one of the best stand-alone wrestling facilities in the nation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am from Minnesota and personally I think Cornell is the #1 job in College wrestling. Maybe not from a prestige standpoint that clearly is Iowa as #1, Oklahoma St #2 and then MN as #3. I pick Cornell just from watching years of videos from flo, they have great cooperation from administration. The administration were at the NCAA banquet afterwards. I like MN wrestling but am not blinded by bias many of our fans are thinking every guy in the lineup will finish top 5 this year. I also do not think at Cornell that Koll would get his throat cut from just one subpar year on his standards, lets say they finish 15th this year, at Iowa you would be GONE, at MN the fans would be calling for JRob to pack in the crutches and hit the dusty trail to where he came from and OKst fans I am not sure but they seem to have Smith's back pretty good IMHO. Penn St has been a short term success but the school seems all in.

I understand that Ohio State doesn't have the tradition of some other wrestling programs. Quite frankly, it's a school that's underachieved in terms of wrestling accomplishments. But that has been due to the failure of past AD's to care enough to hire a real top notch coach.

Right now, it is a powerhouse university with one of the wealthiest athletic departments in the nation's best wrestling conference. The state has some of the best high school talent and programs in the country. And if Iowa State doesn't kick out Bobby Douglas when Russ Hellickson was removed, Cael Sanderson would have been the head coach.

It is a great gig.

I understand that Ohio State doesn't have the tradition of some other wrestling programs. Quite frankly, it's a school that's underachieved in terms of wrestling accomplishments. But that has been due to the failure of past AD's to care enough to hire a real top notch coach.

Right now, it is a powerhouse university with one of the wealthiest athletic departments in the nation's best wrestling conference. The state has some of the best high school talent and programs in the country. And if Iowa State doesn't kick out Bobby Douglas when Russ Hellickson was removed, Cael Sanderson would have been the head coach.

It is a great gig.

Exactly

I have to say, if you throw out legacy (which it is always a tough act to follow the last great coach), Ohio State should be the top program if you are looking for potential. tOSU is the largest University that offers wrestling and the Athletic Dept. has deep pockets. It should be the best gig in the sport, potential wise. Ask Urban Meyer. #SleepingGiant.

"It should be the best gig in the sport, potential wise. Ask Urban Meyer."

Well the difference is Urban Meyer has two national titles and Tom Ryan has zero. That makes a difference with recruiting. Tom Ryan seems like a great coach, but it doesn't seem obvious that he can consistently out recruit Cael Sanderson or Tom Brands or John Smith because the athletic department is rich. Penn State and Iowa have pretty decent wrestling budgets too, which is the only budget that really matters.

"And if Iowa State doesn't kick out Bobby Douglas when Russ Hellickson was removed, Cael Sanderson would have been the head coach."

So what? It says more about Cael Sanderson's coaching/recruiting ability than it does about Ohio State. If Gable coached at Penn State twenty years ago, I'm sure they would have racked up some titles. Besides, when Cael took the Penn State gig a few years ago, plenty of people were questioning whether he would take the next step and win a title ever.

Ohio State is a great gig. I just don't see the argument it's the best. Top 5? Sure, depending on your criteria.

I am of the opinion that being the best wrestling job in the USA should have defined criteria: 1. Fully funded program 2. Local recruiting base 3. administration support 4. fan support 5. campus atmosphere (is it a college town or a college located in a major city 6. academics

The major problem that the Iowa & Oklahoma schools have is that the local talent base is not as deep as it may have been several years ago.

The top academic schools like Cornell & Lehigh must pass on some great wrestlers that are not a good academic fit for the school. It's difficult to win a national championship when you can not recruit all of the best high school wrestlers in the country.

I do see your point though. Ohio State has enough factors that you could win a title there. I think there are only maybe a half dozen programs capable of winning a national title right now. Once you are among those top few teams, I think it's hard to define best. Who the coach is makes a big difference at that point. I think cbg has pretty good criteria. If Ohio State could lure Jordan Burroughs there in a few years, that could change the game for them. Lots of kids might want to wrestle for him like Cael, John Smith, and Gable before him. If he takes the reigns at Nebraska some day, or at Rutgers in his home state of Jersey, that could also make things interesting.

Of course Tom Ryan is still young enough and has gotten pretty good results that he might be able to do it too. It's impressive to me that J Robinson and Bobby Douglas were able to put together championship teams without the international accolades of the others.

I do see your point though. Ohio State has enough factors that you could win a title there. I think there are only maybe a half dozen programs capable of winning a national title right now. Once you are among those top few teams, I think it's hard to define best. Who the coach is makes a big difference at that point. I think cbg has pretty good criteria. If Ohio State could lure Jordan Burroughs there in a few years, that could change the game for them. Lots of kids might want to wrestle for him like Cael, John Smith, and Gable before him. If he takes the reigns at Nebraska some day, or at Rutgers in his home state of Jersey, that could also make things interesting.

Of course Tom Ryan is still young enough and has gotten pretty good results that he might be able to do it too. It's impressive to me that J Robinson and Bobby Douglas were able to put together championship teams without the international accolades of the others.

1. Salary

2. Fully Funded

3. Modern Facilities

3. Commitment to wrestling by AD

4. Commitment to wrestling by community (attendance/club membership)

5. RTC Affiliation

I leave history off the list because it's a mixed bag. Helps with recruiting, community support, but also creates high expectations that could quickly lead to problems if they are not being met.

Don't forget MSU's head coaching position....Great salary, fully funded, job security and you can sit on your ass and not do anything. You don't have to win anything, or show any signs of improvement, but you will still have your job no matter what. Just show up for matches and you are set. Heck, you don't even have to look like your interested, just show up and your set.

Seriously, how the heck does Minkel keep getting away with this? I really do feel bad for MSU fans. You have had some assistant coaches who could have helped things, but the head coach is so inadequate that they can't do what they want to do, and ultimately Minkel just drags them down with him and the rest of the program. Equally responsible is the AD, who lets it happen year after year.

^^Navy head caoching position - hard to beat. Good pay and benefits, 60 gung-ho guys in room on full rides, solid program, wrestling safe for next 100 years (ain't going to be cut), and, as far as I know, no obligation to run camps for the Naval Academy, thus YOU HAVE TIME TO RUN YOUR OWN SUMMER WRESTLING CAMPS and, if you're good at it, make a lot of camp money. Also, very pleasant area of the country to live in.

I was amazed at how tough ISU was with Cael in his developmental stages as a coach. He's the real deal. I've followed my favorite team since 1970, and witnessed the Hawk Dynasty of the 80's and all I can say is wow! What a beautiful combination of recruiting and Coaching we are seeing at this time in Pennsylvania.

What amazes at least a few of us is why did it take so long? Pennsylvania has long been somewhat like the USSR. If you could put all the "stans" back in Rusky land you would have what is happening in Pennsylvania. Someone, finally came just a little closer to centralizing the talent in and out of state.

It is amazing that both MSU and IU have gone so long without making any changes. One would wonder if it comes down to the funding put forth towards the program. It is not like either has a stable of experienced assistants bringing in much money or the travel schedule draws a lot of cash from the universities.

Maybe the AD's are happy with what they have when it al comes down to the dollars. Bring in a higher level coach and the cost of the program will go up. Wonder how Costanzo or Schwaub would do at either of these two schools. Both of these guys have more assistants on staff than MSU and IU, which would mean more cash from the University

At this point Minn, could get more guys to walk on then go to either of these two schools on any type of scholarship

Coaching gigs are only as good as the win-loss record of the program, and that includes ALL college sports.

Their pay, support, and longevity are dependent on that.

The following data suggests this is not true of all programs:

Year W L T Big Ten NCAA Coach

1992 6 12 0 9th 60th Tom Minkel

1993 5 9 0 9th 12th Tom Minkel

1994 11 4 0 6th 28th Tom Minkel

1995 14 4 0 2nd 3rd Tom Minkel

1996 15 6 0 3rd 7th Tom Minkel

1997 9 12 0 8th 21st Tom Minkel

1998 9 10 0 7th 13th Tom Minkel

1999 6 11 1 8th 22nd Tom Minkel

2000 10 5 1 4th 14th Tom Minkel

2001 8 8 0 7th 14th Tom Minkel