Sign in to follow this  
OUcat

Best coaching gigs in college wrestling

Coaching gigs are only as good as the win-loss record of the program, and that includes ALL college sports.

Their pay, support, and longevity are dependent on that.

The following data suggests this is not true of all programs:

Year W L T Big Ten NCAA Coach

1992 6 12 0 9th 60th Tom Minkel

1993 5 9 0 9th 12th Tom Minkel

1994 11 4 0 6th 28th Tom Minkel

1995 14 4 0 2nd 3rd Tom Minkel

1996 15 6 0 3rd 7th Tom Minkel

1997 9 12 0 8th 21st Tom Minkel

1998 9 10 0 7th 13th Tom Minkel

1999 6 11 1 8th 22nd Tom Minkel

2000 10 5 1 4th 14th Tom Minkel

2001 8 8 0 7th 14th Tom Minkel

2002 5 12 0 8th 34th Tom Minkel

2003 10 7 0 T-3rd 18th Tom Minkel

2004 2 12 0 10th 34th Tom Minkel

2005 7 6 1 8th 20th Tom Minkel

2006 4 10 0 8th 18th Tom Minkel

2007 3 11 0 9th 29th Tom Minkel

2008 4 13 0 11th T-28th Tom Minkel

2009 6 10 0 11th T-25th Tom Minkel

2010 8 8 1 7th T-18th Tom Minkel

2011 9 9 0 11th 43rd Tom Minkel

2012 3 11 0 10th T-37th Tom Minkel

2013 4 14 0 12th T51st Tom Minkel

The exception never disproves the rule to us scientific folks. However, and barring retirement, I'll bet that MSU eventually replaces him, with reasons given "no longer a winning program," or something to that tune.

Scientific folks don't use absolutes like "all" when there are counter-examples to their hypotheses. You should have formed your statement as a general rule, not presented it as one that is universally valid.

I said all college sports, not all coaches in college rasslin.

However, the rasslin example could also be used as well, as, in time, Minkel will be released due to the program not winning, and I'll also bet that his pay is significantly less than the Big 10 coaches who are having winning records, thus still proving my point that I initially made.

In addition to MSU and IU, I would add Wisco to the list of great coaching gigs in which you don't have to do anything and get to keep your job.

Hasn't IU only been really struggling in just the past few years though? Regarding Wisconsin, they've sure produced a lot of high finishing AA's during Davis' tenure though, right?

I just look at the talent that WI has had in the room and the lack of being a power in the conference is greatly underperforming. There has been great individuals that have come through, but those are the rare talents that would be good no matter where they went, however, it seems that talent is not developed there.

^^^I assume one of the very best Div I head wrestling coach jobs would be Navy. Good pay and benefits. Wrestling room with 60 gung-ho guys on full rides. No contractual obligation to run Navy wrestling camp, which gives the coach time to run his own camps, which can be excellent source of income. Navy probably will have wrestling for the next century. The Annapolis area is part of the land of pleasant living.

^^^I assume one of the very best Div I head wrestling coach jobs would be Navy. Good pay and benefits. Wrestling room with 60 gung-ho guys on full rides. No contractual obligation to run Navy wrestling camp, which gives the coach time to run his own camps, which can be excellent source of income. Navy probably will have wrestling for the next century. The Annapolis area is part of the land of pleasant living.

that would be a sweet gig

nothing like spending the summer out on the waters of annapolis

I've never made such an asinine claim that Colon couldn't be beaten some in the field at 133. You, by contrast, DID say that about Ramos.

Neither have I said that Ramos couldn't be beaten. I said that out of a specific list of people given by another poster, none had shown anything to indicate they have a shot at beating Ramos. Looking back on the post I will say that I missed where he put Graff on the list, because Graff clearly had shown he had a real shot at beating Ramos. But nowhere did I say that Ramos could not be beaten.

Just as I predicted and pointed out, here comes the Marstellar hate from PSU fans (not all, just some), and he hasn't even put on an Orange singlet. I hope you realize how bad you are making PSU, and the good and descent fans look. You are dragging them down with you with crap like this.

Just as I predicted and pointed out, here comes the Marstellar hate from PSU fans (not all, just some), and he hasn't even put on an Orange singlet. I hope you realize how bad you are making PSU, and the good and descent fans look. You are dragging them down with you with crap like this.

Scientific folks don't use absolutes like "all" when there are counter-examples to their hypotheses. You should have formed your statement as a general rule, not presented it as one that is universally valid.

Inasmuch as wrestling is a college sport, it necessarily falls under your rubric of "all college sports."

Apparently, Vak is right that you're indeed a "Sith," which I understand is a species of aliens native to the planets Korriban and Ziost, who are enslaved and ruled by the exiled Dark Jedi from the Galactic Republic. That seems to be the most logical reason for your nonsensical posts.

Inasmuch as wrestling is a college sport, it necessarily falls under your rubric of "all college sports."

Apparently, Vak is right that you're indeed a "Sith," which I understand is a species of aliens native to the planets Korriban and Ziost, who are enslaved and ruled by the exiled Dark Jedi from the Galactic Republic. That seems to be the most logical reason for your nonsensical posts.

Really? You provide just one example of a coach who broke the rule that I spelled out, and I speak nonsense?

Once Minkel is released from his job and told it was for "performance reasons," guess who's back to sitting cool again? 8-)

Really? You provide just one example of a coach who broke the rule that I spelled out, and I speak nonsense?

One example is all that is needed as you claimed the rule was universally valid.

Once Minkel is released from his job and told it was for "performance reasons," guess who's back to sitting cool again? 8-)

I give up...Indigo, maybe?