Sign in to follow this  
madcat11

Stieber vs. Retherford

Was impressed by Rethenford strategy. It was a great coaching there.

Without that coaching I don't think Zein could beat Logan.

Congrats to him.

Logan will lick his wounds and take from there. It will be very interesting next time they face off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steiber with one of his regular tds maybe a minute in, worked the bar half for a while, running it over got called PD, retherford escaped, retherford then rode the hell out of Steiber in the 2nd, chose neutral 3rd went to OT due to Retherfords RT, and he got the TD.

Of note Retherford in on the legs many times during the match.

I just woke up to this upset.... Can anyone give a decent breakdown of the match?

Steiber with early takedown. Retherford with an escape. Lots of handfighting for the rest of the 1st, LS carries action for the most part although Retherford did get to his legs once (prelude of things to come). Gets SW on Retherford (questionable). 2-1 LS

Steiber takes bottom. Almost escapes early. Retherford gets the legs in and starts working. SW on Steiber (questionable). Retherford working him really hard on top and gets RT. Tide is turning.

3rd period Retherford takes neutral. Nothing really happens although both got to legs once and were fought off. Last 30 seconds you can see we are going to OT at 2-2.

SV: Retherford with a great low single shot. Almost gets the far ankle right away to finish it, but Steiber in a split to keep him at bay. Retherford keeps it, works hard around front with Steiber still in split, about 30 seconds at this secures other leg for TD.

My pbp notes from fight on state post

--------------------------------------------

141 #8 Zain vs #1 Steiber

This is my VISION QUEST moment folks....

who knows what I mean? HA.

1st

LS TD 2-0

ZR esc 2-1

108 remaining

ZR took a shot & ZR got a stall warning

wtf horrible call per Byers

2nd

ZR on top

ZR has LS on his BELLY

crowd going wild

LS cannot get out

trying to crank him over

stall vs LS

crowd loving it at Rec Hall

48 sec RT ZR

Zain rides him 2 min

RT 107 ZR

Per Byers Ryan has been all over the refs

trying to review this for a hand lock on ZR

even though 3rd period started

LUNG TIME OUT FOR LS

What Bs eh on Ryans part Greg?

3rd

ZR takes neutral

Per Byers there is NO CALL

and now LS has his breath back

ZR on shot Left leg

ZR trying to step in behind

125 remaining

LS trying to fight it off on wrist

off the mat

57 sec left

2-1 LS

ZR has RT

ZR on wrist

head snap trades

going to OT

LS tired

SV

Crowd on their feet

ZR shoots

left leg

30 sec left

ZR TD

ZAIN WINS

My pbp notes from fight on state post

--------------------------------------------

141 #8 Zain vs #1 Steiber

This is my VISION QUEST moment folks....

who knows what I mean? HA.

1st

LS TD 2-0

ZR esc 2-1

108 remaining

ZR took a shot & ZR got a stall warning

wtf horrible call per Byers

2nd

ZR on top

ZR has LS on his BELLY

crowd going wild

LS cannot get out

trying to crank him over

stall vs LS

crowd loving it at Rec Hall

48 sec RT ZR

Zain rides him 2 min

RT 107 ZR

Per Byers Ryan has been all over the refs

trying to review this for a hand lock on ZR

even though 3rd period started

LUNG TIME OUT FOR LS

What Bs eh on Ryans part Greg?

3rd

ZR takes neutral

Per Byers there is NO CALL

and now LS has his breath back

ZR on shot Left leg

ZR trying to step in behind

125 remaining

LS trying to fight it off on wrist

off the mat

57 sec left

2-1 LS

ZR has RT

ZR on wrist

head snap trades

going to OT

LS tired

SV

Crowd on their feet

ZR shoots

left leg

30 sec left

ZR TD

ZAIN WINS

Personally, the whole Ohio State team looked flat & gassed...Their "get up & go" got up and went! Penn St looked very fresh...Ruth basically sat on Courts and slept most of their match and still majored him...

Steiber with one of his regular tds maybe a minute in, worked the bar half for a while, running it over got called PD, retherford escaped, retherford then rode the hell out of Steiber in the 2nd, chose neutral 3rd went to OT due to Retherfords RT, and he got the TD.

Of note Retherford in on the legs many times during the match.

Just realized you may be talking about shots from neutral, but I wanted to emphasize how well Zain uses legs from top.

Zain gets legs in crazy fast all the time. Every guy, every match, they can't seem to get from underneath of him. He gets the legs in and they just can't get out.

I never thought I'd see Zain come close to turning Stieber, but he wasn't really that far off. Zain was also the better guy in neutral today.

Personally, the whole Ohio State team looked flat & gassed...Their "get up & go" got up and went! Penn St looked very fresh...Ruth basically sat on Courts and slept most of their match and still majored him...

Maybe so, but remember, PSU is top notch, again.

This happens in sports all the time - one team just gets ignited (in this case, by the Zain win) and puts away the other team, especially with a home crowd.

I'm sure tOSU will bounce back and not look "as flat" as today. Just a great day for PSU and their fans.

Maybe so, but remember, PSU is top notch, again.

This happens in sports all the time - one team just gets ignited (in this case, by the Zain win) and puts away the other team, especially with a home crowd.

I'm sure tOSU will bounce back and not look "as flat" as today. Just a great day for PSU and their fans.

Zain certainly raised the roof but let's give some props to Nico, too for going out and lighting it up for bonus to get the crowd into it and the momentum going.

Man that was some Carver Hawkeye, Dan Gable-esque magic going on. I didn't have a dog in the fight, obviously being an Iowa fan, but that reminded me of so many classic Iowa matches. After the underdog Retherford rode Stieber out I began to feel a very familiar tingle go up my spine. Then when he got in on a single leg in OT I was jumping up and down, and for the first time rooting for one of PSU's wrestlers. I just love to see a huge underdog come in and upset a NC in dramatic fashion.

FILA, take note. Matches like these are why you need OT instead of criteria.

Stieber has a history of having wierd losses here and there, but he didn't look particularly bad IMO. Just got beat. I don't really know Retherford, but maybe the lesson here is that a cadet world title is a big freaking deal. Anyone got details- or video- of his matches in that tournament?

BTW I didn't realize you could body triangle in folkstyle. Retherford had his legs locked around Stieber's wasit forever and I thought that was illegal.

That was an awesome match! I was screaming watching that match, I could not believe it. And of course my nephew texts me while he is there watching it live to rub it in, he is a PSU freshman who actually met Zain and wrestled a bit with him this summer. He whooped him up, but my nephew said he was a down to earth guy who is really cool.

I could be wrong, and without checking, I believe Zain beat NIck Roberts( who wrestled Megaludis) in the semis of PA states when Zain was a freshman. I think Roberts was a returning state champ and Zain pulled off the upset then too.

I have crazy feeling Dwieza is gonna beat Zain next weekend at Iowa, don't ask me why.

"I have crazy feeling Dwieza is gonna beat Zain next weekend at Iowa, don't ask me why."

It may or may not happen, but if it does, we know why, it'd be a case of one tough PA kid beating another tough PA kid. Happens all the time in PA. And you're right, it was Nick Roberts who Zain beat at PIAA's as a freshman.

I am slightly concerned about a let down Saturday night for the team and Zain in particular. Road duals in the BIgTen are tuff enough, then throw in 15 thousand Hawks fans and it can get down right intimidating for anyone, not to mention a true freshman. That being said, Retherford has already shown poise well beyond his years and I don't expect him to have the deer in the headlights look. Matchup wise, I like how things set up. Dwieza isn't great on his feet and needs to make things happen on the mat where he is a bit unorthodox. ZR is so fundamentally sound, I think he can frustrate him and capitalize on some mistakes.