Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

I would like to properly eat crow!

I don't think anyone has been more vocal about how good Retherford is, and can be, than I have been, but this still surprises even me. I would have picked Steiber by a decision. Retherford has trouble with a lower tier guy one week, then beats the best guy in the country the next week. Once this guy gets used to being a true freshman wrestling men he's going to be very special. By March I think Retherford will be firing on all cylinders and the sky will be the limit. I will take Steiber in the rematch but if Retherford beats him again I will not pick against ZR again.....ever.

I knew Retherford was as good as they get for a freshman and I was the only one to predict that he wouldn't give up bonus points to Stieber in the prediction thread. I also said he would be the most physically strong kid Stieber would face this year. Great match by Retherford, but due to Stieber's size he will most likely be to big to beat on the 3rd day of NCAAs for anybody. If anybody can beat him though it will be Retherford, he will only get better this year and he has all the confidence he needs now.

I don't think anyone has been more vocal about how good Retherford is, and can be, than I have been, but this still surprises even me. I would have picked Steiber by a decision. Retherford has trouble with a lower tier guy one week, then beats the best guy in the country the next week. Once this guy gets used to being a true freshman wrestling men he's going to be very special. By March I think Retherford will be firing on all cylinders and the sky will be the limit. I will take Steiber in the rematch but if Retherford beats him again I will not pick against ZR again.....ever.

Just a quibble, but I don't think ZR had that much trouble with a lower tier guy last week. First of all, Bright is very talented on his feet and got the early TD on ZR and it looked his strategy was to keep it tight until the 3rd. Retherford also had a TD that was clearly before the buzzer on replay in the 2nd, probably a coaching mistake by Cael not to challenge (not sure if it was available - should have been). Never really thought that he was in danger of losing that match even though it was so close in score. Really good job of match managing by a talented kid in Bright.

As far as ZR, he's stamped himself among the top at 141. Thought Stieber controlled it early and Zain controlled it from about 1:50 left in the 2nd on. Also got in on Stieber's legs at least 3 times.

One of the bigger upsets in recent memory. As a PSU fan, I was just hoping he didn't get pinned or teched. I've watched Zain since his Freshman year in high school, so, I know how talented he is. However, I didn't think he was anywhere near ready to pull off this big of an upset this soon in his career. Thanks for proving me wrong, Zain !!!!! My Mom and I were watching in the basement and when Zain got the 2, we were jumping in cheering in a manor usually reserved for Steelers' super bowl wins. Those kind of upsets remind me why I love this sport so much.

I have no idea what or even if I predicted anything in the prediction thread, but I did think Stieber would win. Stieber has been beating senior world class wrestlers, so why would anyone pick an 18 yr old true freshman?

Now that it is over I think it is safe to say that Zain wrestled a very smart and TOUGH match. Logan would have turned almost everyone in the country in the first period, but Zain fought it off. Then Zain fights off a couple of shots that Logan almost always converts.

Then the ride. THE RIDE! That is the ride of the year for me. Logan is the guy who is supposed to kill guys from the top, but its Zain that rides him. Amazing.

The Ryan tries to get Logan some rest and it still doesn't matter. Zain almost had him in regulation time, then gets him in SV. Wow.

I think Zain has to be ranked #1 now. Don't know if they will, but he deserves it.

There is no question where he should be ranked now. Undefeated and with an uncontroversial win over the lb-for-lb (former) best wrestler in college has to be #1. I can see the case for Port #1, but is a flawless record with a heads-up win over Stieber less valuable than last year's results?

I don't think Retherford will beat Stieber again, but based on today, he is the clear new #1 in my eyes.

Just a quibble, but I don't think ZR had that much trouble with a lower tier guy last week. First of all, Bright is very talented on his feet and got the early TD on ZR and it looked his strategy was to keep it tight until the 3rd. Retherford also had a TD that was clearly before the buzzer on replay in the 2nd, probably a coaching mistake by Cael not to challenge (not sure if it was available - should have been). Never really thought that he was in danger of losing that match even though it was so close in score. Really good job of match managing by a talented kid in Bright.

As far as ZR, he's stamped himself among the top at 141. Thought Stieber controlled it early and Zain controlled it from about 1:50 left in the 2nd on. Also got in on Stieber's legs at least 3 times.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I simply meant he didn't beat him badly. Sorry for not being more clear in my original post.

tOSU as a team was flat flat flat....looked like they had just gotten off the bus. I'll wager they fare better as a team come Big Ten, to a man.

Except Kenny Courts. He got his ass kicked, but he was wrestling Ruth. He got the first TD and it was like a breath of fresh air. The rest of the Buckeyes wrestled like they would've gotten beat by PSU's second stringers if they rewrestled with new line-ups. Pathetic effort.

I owe a beer for the result of the LS ZR match. I made the bet with the disclaimer that I hope ZR wins, but I don't see it happen. Almost doubled down that I wouldn't have been surprised in LS got bonus. I don't mind paying out on this one.