Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

141 Rankings This Week

I'm not expecting everyone to put ZR at #1 - there will be some Port #1s out there I think. I am expecting CP to do it, however, Zain's win is by far the best the best of Port or Dardanes. Dardanes' win over Stieber 3 years ago didn't really happen according to the NCAA, lol. Plus, Stieber was #1 P4P, another lol (just poking fun CP).

I'm not expecting everyone to put ZR at #1 - there will be some Port #1s out there I think. I am expecting CP to do it, however, Zain's win is by far the best the best of Port or Dardanes. Dardanes' win over Stieber 3 years ago didn't really happen according to the NCAA, lol. Plus, Stieber was #1 P4P, another lol (just poking fun CP).

Stieber didn't have the resume when Dardanes beat him that he has now. Zain basically beat a MUCH better Stieber than the version Dardanes beat, plus Zain beat a wrestler much better than anyone Dardanes has beaten this year.

1. Stieber (gets one free pass on previous accomplishments; 2x Champ; defeated last 141 Champ)

2. Port (Undefeated; Returning Finalist)

3. Dardanes (Undefeated; 2x AA)

4. Retherford

Understand what you are saying, but not a nfan of this type of ranking. Zain is unbeaten and he just knocked off Stieber, so imo he should be ranked ahead of him.

You can put Retherford at the top spot if you would like. It doesnt really matter. I personally think Logan should stay number 1, I think he is by far the best wrestler in the country at this weight and top 3 overall. One bad day doesnt sway my opinion. I think Stieber wins by major next time they wrestle.

Retherford is undefeated. He beat Flo's #1 PFP Steiber. He has a world title (Steiber never did that). I'd say Zain is #1.

Just curious... when was the last time Retherford lost?

tsirtsis beat him at junior world trials

Retherford is undefeated. He beat Flo's #1 PFP Steiber. He has a world title (Steiber never did that). I'd say Zain is #1.

Junior world trials last summer to Jason Tsirtsis at 145lbs. Keep in mind that Zain could have made 133 this year, so both Jason and Logan are physically bigger and stronger than Zain. Today's win is a testament to Zain's efficiency in translating technique into power.

I think it's impossible to rank just based on what has transpired so far this season. Otherwise, you can't just knock Stieber down a spot or two, you have to drop him all the way down to 5th and that is crazy, imo.

Note, I only knock him to 2nd behind one wrestler, the guy who is both undefeated and who beat him.

Junior world trials last summer to Jason Tsirtsis at 145lbs. Keep in mind that Zain could have made 133 this year, so both Jason and Logan are physically bigger and stronger than Zain. Today's win is a testament to Zain's efficiency in translating technique into power.

To be fair, Stieber could've made 133 too. It would've been a very tough cut, but he was at 132 for freestyle this summer and obviously won his two titles at 133, and he's still undecided as to 132 or 145 for freestyle going forward. And it's not like Zain wouldn't have suffered getting down to 133 either.

I agree that Stieber is physically stronger, but I don't think he's bigger. He got to around 150, give or take a couple, at his heaviest, according to an interview he did this summer.

wrestlingnerd, I can agree with what you posted. I would add that this is still Logan's 4th year wrestling in college while Zain is still 18 years old, so I think the difference in pure strength should be on par with what you'd expect in this situation. Jason for sure is a bigger guy than both of them.

The thing with Zain that I was trying to point out is that he isn't just a bigger stronger kid than anyone. Just a great technician.

Logie Bear is a beast, probably one of the strongest wrestlers lb-for-lb, so yes, I agree he is stronger, maybe significantly so. I was just pointing out that he doesn't have a size advantage over Retherford.

Retherford is not only a great technician, but a great tactical wrestler too. Or maybe it was good preparation by the coaches. Either way, his ability to freeze Stieber from the feet by locking up Stieber's lead hand for as long as he did was one of the keys to his win. I was really surprised Stieber let him do that for so long.

I was very impressed with Logan while hevwas still in hs, and he has proven to be almost as good in college. I figured Zain would make an impact at 141 this year, just notvthis big this quick. Next time I doubt Logan lets him up, he did this time thinking he could take Zain down again quickly. A strong leg rider is next to impossible to escape from. So next time i think Logan will make several adjustments, but Zain now has confidence knowing, not thinking he can beat Logan, and that is invaluable.

Right now Port, retherford, stieber, dardanes is my ranking.

To be fair, Logan lost to the guy at jr worlds final, who would win Olympics soon after.

I expect Logan to learn from this and do better next time. He lost to Cody Brewer offseason then tech fall him next time. He lost to Chris Dardenes and Jordan Oliver during redshirted freshman year then beat them next time.

In all, I think the loss would motivate Logan to do better this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logie Bear is a beast, probably one of the strongest wrestlers lb-for-lb, so yes, I agree he is stronger, maybe significantly so. I was just pointing out that he doesn't have a size advantage over Retherford.

Retherford is not only a great technician, but a great tactical wrestler too. Or maybe it was good preparation by the coaches. Either way, his ability to freeze Stieber from the feet by locking up Stieber's lead hand for as long as he did was one of the keys to his win. I was really surprised Stieber let him do that for so long.

I had four keys to his win.

1. your comment about the hands

2. The dominating full 2nd period leg ride (which he is known for but probably shocked Logan)

3. choosing neutral, which was just smart on his part

4. changing direction on the single leg in SV from a pull to push while stepping over and around in front and driving thru

Most freshman aren't going to finish that shot in OT or SV on a top ranked wrestler, let alone one as good as Stieber.

I'm a PSU fan & obviously very excited @ Retherford's performance vs. Stieber . . .

BUT. . .

I could see Stieber turning Retherford in their next match which obviously cld make for a whole different story.

i guess if you had to seed the B1G tournament right now you'd have to give Zain the top seed over Steiber. but i prefer rankings that would tell you would the favorite would be in a neutral setting, so subjective vegas odds. i still would put steiber #1, and i think thats an obvious call.

but if a meaningless ranking puts zain #1, eh, whatever, makes things interesting too.