Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Should David Taylor even show up at NCAA's?

Considering he is the favorite against everyone he has lost to, why should he even wrestle when he hasn't lost to anyone currently in his weight class? I think he should just weigh in each day collect a forfeit and receive the Hodge, outstanding wrestler and the new NCAA version of the Hodge. Intermat will name him wrestler of the year and he can go on to beat Howe, Dake and Burroughs to win the World team trials prior to winning the World Championships. Although, I am not sure he should have to wrestle these matches either.

In all honesty, I now see why there was so much angst back when Metcalf was around. Being from Michigan I always cheered for Metcalf and had the tinted glasses when Metcalf was painted in a God-like fashion. All the non stop Taylor love has made me see the light.

Taylor is amazing, but in the end will at most be ONLY a 2x champ. That is the same as Metcalf. I ask all of you crazed Taylor fans to remember back to what side you were on during all the Metcalf craziness and try not to be hypocritical. If you couldn't stand the Metcalf praise try to realize that the Taylor praise has the same effect.

Considering he is the favorite against everyone he has lost to, why should he even wrestle when he hasn't lost to anyone currently in his weight class? I think he should just weigh in each day collect a forfeit and receive the Hodge, outstanding wrestler and the new NCAA version of the Hodge. Intermat will name him wrestler of the year and he can go on to beat Howe, Dake and Burroughs to win the World team trials prior to winning the World Championships. Although, I am not sure he should have to wrestle these matches either.

In all honesty, I now see why there was so much angst back when Metcalf was around. Being from Michigan I always cheered for Metcalf and had the tinted glasses when Metcalf was painted in a God-like fashion. All the non stop Taylor love has made me see the light.

Taylor is amazing, but in the end will at most be ONLY a 2x champ. That is the same as Metcalf. I ask all of you crazed Taylor fans to remember back to what side you were on during all the Metcalf craziness and try not to be hypocritical. If you couldn't stand the Metcalf praise try to realize that the Taylor praise has the same effect.

Who is your pick to upset Taylor?

The really weird part of all these Taylor threads is that I have never seen anyone actually criticize the guy. He is universally admired.

Agree. Great wrestler and student, good kid, and also a phenomenal ambassador for the sport. Pretty good guy to have as the face of the program for Penn State too.

I don't have one. Barring an injury or illness, I have him tied with Ruth as the lock of the tournament. This post wasn't to point out he will lose at NCAA's it is to point out the level of craziness and the near worship-like pattern that has formed on here that nearly mirrors that of Metcalf. Even Taylor's losses are treated on here in nearly the same way. His losses were flukes or ignored and he is automatically the favorite in a rematch and is going to wreck someone he has lost to before.

I honestly believe a ton of people on here STILL believe Taylor is better than Dake and would pick Taylor to win again.

The really weird part of all these Taylor threads is that I have never seen anyone actually criticize the guy. He is universally admired. Some PSU fans simply can't stomach the thought of him not being placed above everyone else with his credentials.

I agree, he seems like a great guy and his passion for the sport is easy to admire. If it weren't for the Bubba Jenkins fiasco, which is in NO way Taylor's fault, I probably would be a fan. Sanderson ruined Taylor for me.

This post wasn't to point out he will lose at NCAA's it is to point out the level of craziness and the near worship-like pattern that has formed on here that nearly mirrors that of Metcalf. Even Taylor's losses are treated on here in nearly the same way. His losses were flukes or ignored and he is automatically the favorite in a rematch and is going to wreck someone he has lost to before.

I honestly believe a ton of people on here STILL believe Taylor is better than Dake and would pick Taylor to win again.

Sounds like you are really upset at Penn State fans. Can you link the posts that led you to make this thread? They must have been pretty bad for you to make this thread.

I don't have one. Barring an injury or illness, I have him tied with Ruth as the lock of the tournament. This post wasn't to point out he will lose at NCAA's it is to point out the level of craziness and the near worship-like pattern that has formed on here that nearly mirrors that of Metcalf. Even Taylor's losses are treated on here in nearly the same way. His losses were flukes or ignored and he is automatically the favorite in a rematch and is going to wreck someone he has lost to before.

I really don't think it would be crazy to pick Taylor over Dake. Both matches were close.

I think Dake is better and would pick him but I wouldn't consider someone crazy for picking Taylor.

I'm sure there are people who will pick Dake to beat JB come the Trials.

This post wasn't to point out he will lose at NCAA's it is to point out the level of craziness and the near worship-like pattern that has formed on here that nearly mirrors that of Metcalf. Even Taylor's losses are treated on here in nearly the same way. His losses were flukes or ignored and he is automatically the favorite in a rematch and is going to wreck someone he has lost to before.

Sounds like you are really upset at Penn State fans. Can you link the posts that led you to make this thread? They must have been pretty bad for you to make this thread.

Re: Logan Steiber will win the Hodge this year

Postby PRyan2012 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:53 am

Taylor would own Howe. Own him! He moved up to avoid Taylor. Howe is not a big 165. I would want to go out with a title also. I don't fault Howe for that. David Taylor unless he somehow losses wins the Hodge again. No one is even close. Actually the closest guy is probably at 157 in St John.

PRyan2012

Silver Member

Silver Member

I really don't think it would be crazy to pick Taylor over Dake. Both matches were close.

I think Dake is better and would pick him but I wouldn't consider someone crazy for picking Taylor.

I'm sure there are people who will pick Dake to beat JB come the Trials.

Between the All Star Classic, regulation matches and Freestyle Dake is 5-0. I really wouldn't have an issue with people picking Taylor to win, my isssue is the FIRST part I stated in that people still disregard the 5-0 mark and would call Taylor the FAVORITE!

This is another post exaggerating the PSU love for David Taylor. A large percentage of PSU fans gave Kyle Dake all the credit he deserved for beating Taylor three straight times. However, people like the OP want to focus on the very few who still didn't give the proper credit.

Is it really that difficult to figure out why Taylor gets so much love. His wrestling style is very entertaining. He is constantly trying to score, and has gotten bonus points in almost all of his career victories. I think most wrestling fans enjoy that. Penn State fans, of course, are going to love his style. Add in the fact that he is a good student and a good ambassador for the sport, and why would the love surprise anyone ?

Kyle Dake beat David Taylor three times, and deserved all of the accolades he got for doing so. He proved to be the better wrestler. Bubba Jenkins pinned Taylor on the big stage. Anyone trying to tell you what would happen if either match-up occurred again is speculating. We only have facts to go by. Taylor lost lose matches and his record and legacy will show that. I also believe that Taylor will go down as one of the biggest point scorers for his team in NCAA Championship history, all while only winning two titles (if he wins again this year). Considering that his team is searching for a 4th championship, I think that is a solid accomplishment, if it pans out that way.

IMO, for someone to defeat Taylor, they would have to physically beat him up in the match. This would accomplish 2 things, it would potentially slow him down and also get him out of his game plan. Not saying this is something that would be easy to do, but it would be accomplished in neutral and on top.

Everyone though Steiber was a lock for the Hodge, and he was ridden like a rented mule. Additionally he was beat on his feet in overtime, which is probably a toss up as one of his strongest positions.

The only other way would be to catch him, in similar fashion to Bubba. He likes those singles, is anyone sneaky enough to catch him in a spladle? I am sure no one though Metcalf would be out of position enough to be spladled, but it happened. Maybe I shouldn't have said out of position. A better description may have been, Metcalf sat on the head inside single to long. Head inside single finishes need to be crisp/smooth and quick. BUT, even when they are, someone who is really good at a spladle could catch one.

In any case, anything can happen. Only sure things in life are death and taxes....

Taylor would own Howe. Own him! He moved up to avoid Taylor. Howe is not a big 165. I would want to go out with a title also. I don't fault Howe for that. David Taylor unless he somehow losses wins the Hodge again. No one is even close. Actually the closest guy is probably at 157 in St John.

PRyan2012

Silver Member

Silver Member

You went off on an entire fanbase. Where are the other posts that made you mad?

This is another post exaggerating the PSU love for David Taylor. A large percentage of PSU fans gave Kyle Dake all the credit he deserved for beating Taylor three straight times. However, people like the OP want to focus on the very few who still didn't give the proper credit.

Is it really that difficult to figure out why Taylor gets so much love. His wrestling style is very entertaining. He is constantly trying to score, and has gotten bonus points in almost all of his career victories. I think most wrestling fans enjoy that. Penn State fans, of course, are going to love his style. Add in the fact that he is a good student and a good ambassador for the sport, and why would the love surprise anyone ?

Kyle Dake beat David Taylor three times, and deserved all of the accolades he got for doing so. He proved to be the better wrestler. Bubba Jenkins pinned Taylor on the big stage. Anyone trying to tell you what would happen if either match-up occurred again is speculating. We only have facts to go by. Taylor lost lose matches and his record and legacy will show that. I also believe that Taylor will go down as one of the biggest point scorers for his team in NCAA Championship history, all while only winning two titles (if he wins again this year). Considering that his team is searching for a 4th championship, I think that is a solid accomplishment, if it pans out that way.

Are you sure I am exaggerating the Majority's stance? Are you sure your outlook is not in the Minority? Obviously, I cannot speak for all the PSU fans who do not post on here, and my post IS NOT for them. This post is for those who give this site more than a glancing interest. My posts are mainly to spark up a good conversation on the sport I am very passionate. I may stir the pot but I am truly interested in the responses I get.

PRyan2012

Silver Member

Silver Member

You went off on an entire fanbase. Where are the other posts that made you mad?

Sorry, that was the post that broke the proverbial Camel's back! I really don't feel like going through post after post over the last year to find, MANY, man-love posts for Taylor. We BOTH know they are here. If I get the interest to do so I might, but you know there have been many posts like the one above.

No problem. I was referring to the posters on this site. Very few PSU fans weren't giving Dake his due. There were a few, but, most were giving the credit that was earned. I still run into the occasional PSU fan who will still insist that Taylor should have won one of those matches, so, your claims aren't baseless, just a bit exaggerated. No big deal.

Sorry, that was the post that broke the proverbial Camel's back! I really don't feel like going through post after post over ................

OK, so one guy makes a superlative post and this is enough to cause you to go off on an entire fan base?

Let me show you a few of his other posts. You might notice a trend. The guy talks in superlatives about everyone. So holding one of his posts against all Penn State fans seems irrational to me.

Re: Mr. Burroughs should retire now, here's why...

He is the best ever. Sorry John Smith guys but Burroughs is the best period. Smith had like 5 losses his first 3 years kinda like Sanderson but Smith did win always when it counted. My opinion is he is our greatest freestyler ever. What he has done weighs more to me than having 3 more titles with 10...

by PRyan2012 Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:16 a

Re: If Mr. Nelson wins another HWT title he will become...

If he wins another title he will be like Jake Rosholt and getting teched and pinned at the next level. Sorry but this is true.

by PRyan2012 Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:17 am

Re: LOL at wrestling making up paper champions

Jadidi is a cheater and a baby. Just like Leipold he should have no title. If you cheat you should be banned for life. Now back to that match. Angle clearly never stalled like Jads did. Jads was sitting on his arse the last minute sucking air and should have been penalized a point after the ref over...

by PRyan2012 Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: Adam Coon

By the end of the season he will maul Nelson! Looking at a Rowlands/Mocco type career. Has he lost yet?

by PRyan2012 Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:34 am

Re: Junior World Championships

Snyder is great! He is going what in college. 197? He seems like our next Lt Heavy at the senior level. Maybe a bit early to say he can be a world champ but that russian he beat is really good-he trains with Gadisov.

And btw, MSU, let's not forget that PRyan's post that you fpound so objectionable was in a thread started by one of your cronies with THIS post that you had no problem with:

Logan Steiber will win the Hodge this year

Can I get an AMEN?

Post by scribe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:29 am

And btw, MSU, let's not forget that PRyan's post that you fpound so objectionable was in a thread started by one of your cronies with THIS post that you had no problem with:

Logan Steiber will win the Hodge this year

Can I get an AMEN?

Post by scribe » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:29 am

One of my cronies? LOL, I don't think scribe and I have had any form of communication whatsoever. I have no issue with someone posting Stieber would win the Hodge or saying Taylor would. I honestly think Taylor will. I simply think Taylor wins EVERY Fantasy matchup on here while wrestlers who I actually think are better like Dake and Howe get considerably less respect than they deserve. I will start a post that asks ALL to be COMPLETELY honest in who they think is better and who they would pick if Taylor wrestled Dake or Howe.

Also, I am sorry if you feel like I lumped you into a category. You seem to be the most reasonable PSU fan on here.

I probably shouldn't have used the word cronies, but just so you understand it was used solely to denote what I consider posters who seem to always find something wrong with Penn State, one of their wrestlers, or their fans. While you read posts and see over the top fandom for Taylor, some of us Penn State fans read posts and see over the top bashing of all things Penn State.

I can see how you would view some posts as over the top, because I see them. Can you see the other side?

I think its because of the scope of what Taylor is doing - besides Dake, Howe and Burroughs, who has he not mauled domestically? Dake, Howe and Burroughs all had close matches with the non-elite in their NCAA careers, while Taylor isn't even touched by someone who isn't a threat at the World level. The closest to him, Caldwell, was majored 10-0.

On top of being a great ambassador for the sport - everyone here on campus knows him and his accomplishments and holds him to an extremely high regard - its hard not to cheer for him. That being said, I don't see how he wins every fantasy match-up vs Dake, nor how he is favored against any of the three elites. He's a combined, what, 1-7 against them? With time, maybe, but as of right now - I see where you're coming from, MSU. Your Metcalf comparison is very appropriate.

Taylor should certainly show up.

How else we he be able to be in the pictures the Team takes after winning their 4th National Championship (well, he could be photoshoped in, but that's not quite the same)?

Poor, poor, MSU. His alma mater's wrestling team is so horrendous, that he's projecting on the opposite side - the team that has won 3 years in a row.

He claims to be an admirer of the Iowa program, yet there are no posts to prove how much he liked them prior to Penn State going on its run.

But, overall, it's good for the board that he has appointed himself sheriff of calling out all things Nittany Lion wrestling on this site. At least he can mainitain his wrestling dignity in some manner.

Once Penn State fails to win Nationals, and it will happen soon, he may focus his angst and desperation elsewhere. He won't have a need for posting more fantasy match ups or the depth of other teams in similated dual match ups and how they're favored over Penn State.