Sign in to follow this  
TBar1977

PSU vs. Iowa

I agree that Moore's best position to creatively stall is bottom. That's what he did before with Taylor.

As for Iowa fans not pushing for stall calls, I don't think it will matter. They'll have pushed for stalling in all the other weights so hard that stalling will be on the refs mind. He may even things out by dinging Moore.

I have no doubt Moore will be dinged for stalling. My point is that I do not see him in ANY danger of being DQ'd for stalling. I just do NOT see a ref calling 5 stallings against an IOWA wrestler at Carver Hawkeye.

I actually agree with that, but Taylor isn't stupid either. Taylor will play take down and let him back up if he has to, and he can tech him that way too. Maybe its only a major if Moore can stay out on the edge all match.

Remember, it is only a 5 pt tech if he gets back points. At some point he is going to have to dedicate some time to turning Moore. I would NOT bet that Taylor doesn't get the tech but I think there are several factors in the dual that lead me to believe Moore has a good chance to keep it to a major. If it were the NCAA tournament I would put money on Taylor getting the tech.

Great article about the Penn State - Iowa wrestling rivalry including footage of the controversial ending to the 1993 NCAA 150 final between Troy Sunderland and Terry Steiner.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sbn ... fSTBVXw.01

Gotta love the third man rushing onto the mat to influence the officials at the end. :lol: Nothing at all shaky about that.

Great article about the Penn State - Iowa wrestling rivalry including footage of the controversial ending to the 1993 NCAA 150 final between Troy Sunderland and Terry Steiner.

Gotta love the third man rushing onto the mat to influence the officials at the end. :lol: Nothing at all shaky about that.

I was at the 1993 NCAA's. Yes, a very controversial match at 150.

Other great matches included Cary Kolat losing to TJ Jaworsky at 6-4 at 134, and true freshman Lincoln McIIravy coming from behind to beat Gerry Abas 16-15 at 142.

Then, of course, there was Kevin Randleman and Rex Holman, both of Ohio State, winning at 177 and 190.

Some interesting facts from the Hawkeye site:

The Hawkeyes are 24-0 in December duals since Tom Brands was named head coach

Six Hawkeyes in the probable lineup have a combined 85-0 record inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena. They include Cory Clark (4-0), Tony Ramos (28-0), Josh Dziewa (5-0), Derek St. John (27-0), Mike Evans (20-0), and Sammy Brooks (1-0).

Junior Mike Evans, who is 20-0 all-time inside Carver-Hawkeye Arena, has scored bonus points in each of his 11 matches,

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/m-w ... 13aac.html

I believe the third man was just a representative from the scorer's table sent out to tap the ref with a towel to let him know when time had expired.

a2ac45cb-3763-4965-bfd4-7bc3c697c636_zps2eabf9bb.png

The indeed was indeed controversial but - even if Sunderland had won - PSU would still have finished as the runner-up to Iowa. However, that would have given each team one champion each and Terry Stiener would not have won the MOW award.

BTW, unless they edited out some of the third period, it appeared that the stalling warning was also questionable. However, the second stalling call (when the point was awarded) was appropriate, IMO.

From that clip it looked like Sunderland had a head lock in still moving with the momentum from the winning takedown. Looked like a very questionable call... especially since the ref initially signaled that there was no takedown but then changed it after the match was over.

Mega dec Clark- 3-0 PSU

Ramos dec Gulibon- 3-3

Retherford dec Dwieza 6-3 PSU

Kelly dec Beitz 6-6

St John dec Vollrath/DA- 6-9 IOWA

Taylor major Moore- 10-9 PSU

Evans dec Brown- 10-12 IOWA

Ruth major Lofthouse- 14-12 PSU

McIntosh dec Brooks/Burak- 17-12 PSU

Telford dec Lawson- 17-15 PSU

- If Clark beats Mega, which is possible, Iowa wins the dual. Nico needs to set the tone for PSU, and keep the crowd quiet.

- Wrestling at Iowa is a huge advantage for the home team, just watch last years dual.

- I would 100% wrestle Andrew Alton at 149, easy pin or major for PSU.

- I would NOT wrestle DA.

- Gulibon needs to not get pinned. I believe he makes it competitive with Ramos.

- I like Retherford to win, but would not be surprised for an upset for Iowa.(I need to stop doubting the TF) :D

- I am shaky on MM winning. He has not looked as good as some think IMHO.

- This is an awesome dual and I can not wait for saturday night!!!

From that clip it looked like Sunderland had a head lock in still moving with the momentum from the winning takedown. Looked like a very questionable call... especially since the ref initially signaled that there was no takedown but then changed it after the match was over.

This.

Ramos dec Gulibon- 3-3

- Gulibon needs to not get pinned. I believe he makes it competitive with Ramos.

Is Gulibon wrestling? I think that the conventional wisdom says that Connoway will wrestle.

Not sure what I'd do if I were Cael. Seems like Gulibon's biggest problem is his lack of power, which makes it hard to get out on bottom and makes him a lousy matchup with the powerful Ramos. But then again, Conaway is a small 133lber too and he got pinned by Ramos last year. I dunno. If I were Cael I'd throw Gulibon at him as I think he's more likely to do something shocking than is Conaway. Either way the bonus predictions for Ramos at this weight are justifiable whoever he faces.

The matches that are going to decide the dual are at 149 and 197. If Iowa is going to win, it needs to win those two. I would say in order for Iowa to win, in order of importance.

-149/197

If they can pick up wins at 74, 97 and 49, all they'd need is bonus from Ramos or St. John to win it. I don't see Telford losing to Lawson.

Figure it goes like this

125- PSU

133- Iowa

141- PSU

149-Iowa

157- Iowa

165- PSU

174- Iowa

184- PSU

197- Iowa

285- Iowa

Penn State would need pins from Taylor and Ruth to be in this one if it goes that way. If Clark can upset Megaludis, then Iowa wins this one.

Cornercoach - I don't think your prediction is mathematically possible. If there is only one bonus point then there can only be 31 points scored. Either both teams will win five matches in which case the max score in your scenario is 16-15 or if Iowa wins six matches they could win 18-13. They can't win by 3. You would need more bonus. A plausible scenario for Iowa to win by 3 would be an 18-15 score where Iowa wins six by regular decision but Penn St. wins four and gets three bonus points. In fact, that is not a ridiculous prediction. Not that I'm predicting it. I'll say Iowa 20-14 with absolutely no conviction whatsoever. It is interesting, and great, how many toss-up matches there are.

+1

It's match day!!! Is anyone else fired up for this one? The two best in the nation! So many great individual matchups. It has been war every time these two have met recently! All of my friends are coming down to the man cave/my basement. If Iowa pulls this one out the neighbors may call the law for disturbing the peace. Go Hawks! Go "good wrestling", as I know we will see some tonight from both teams, and that's what our sport needs!

Ps. Wish I could be there. One of you Hawk fans do me a favor and go crazy x2 in my place.

It's match day!!! Is anyone else fired up for this one? The two best in the nation! So many great individual matchups. It has been war every time these two have met recently! All of my friends are coming down to the man cave/my basement. If Iowa pulls this one out the neighbors may call the law for disturbing the peace. Go Hawks! Go "good wrestling", as I know we will see some tonight from both teams, and that's what our sport needs!

Ps. Wish I could be there. One of you Hawk fans do me a favor and go crazy x2 in my place.

I'm so fired up, I'm in Minneapolis waiting for my flight to Cedar Rapids (and, eventually, the drive from there to Iowa City).