Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Honest Pick'em: TaylorvsDake, TaylorvsHowe

I am taking some heat for grouping a majority of PSU/Taylor fans in a worship-like fashion similar to the "Godcalf" craze.

I would like an honest answer from all of you PSU/Taylor fans on who you would pick in the 2 matchups above and why. I think Howe gets disregarded WAY too easily and I really think he may even be better than Dake. I know this may get me flack but that is the point of this post. To BE HONEST!

Please fire away!

I am taking some heat for grouping a majority of PSU/Taylor fans in a worship-like fashion similar to the "Godcalf" craze.

I would like an honest answer from all of you PSU/Taylor fans on who you would pick in the 2 matchups above and why. I think Howe gets disregarded WAY too easily and I really think he may even be better than Dake. I know this may get me flack but that is the point of this post. To BE HONEST!

Please fire away!

You start the other thread out of thin air, and now this one too? Please tell me what any Penn State fan can write that will make you happy? You write the post.

I think that if David Taylor wrestled both Kyle Dake & Andrew Howe at the same time, the score would be Taylor 42, Dake/Howe 0......................Da MagicMan

:D

Throw in a few escape points for Dake/Howe.. Taylor will be sure to run a takedown/let-up clinic! :D

He could choose that route, but, I just figured he would want to add extra embarrassment by just continuously turning both of them for back-points at will. Then, when they both try to pin themselves, to avoid the continuous beating, Taylor uses one arm on each to lift one shoulder off the mat so that the beat-down can continue...........................Da MagicMan

Not sure if you mean free or folk but in either style I'd take Dake to beat Taylor 100 times out of 100. I'd take Taylor against Howe 50 out of 100.

I feel for you in regards to the "heat" you're taking. Taylor is a phenomenal talent and when he gets to the senior level he will not be a Penn St. wrestler to me but an American. I will cheer for him hard. I have no problem with Taylor's style or talent level. He is very good. My knock on Taylor always has been the competition he's seen in folkstyle. Not his fault but it is what it is. I think the best guy he's beat is DSJ and he's beat very, very few great talents. I don't want to rile up my Lehigh buddies, as they are great fans, but Hatchett is not the greatest win a guy could have on his record. The few times Taylor has been challenged he's lost. Like I've said a thousand times, Taylor is Askren/Varner and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Please fire away!

You start the other thread out of thin air, and now this one too? Please tell me what any Penn State fan can write that will make you happy? You write the post.

Actually, I started this thread SPECIFICALLY for you. You stated what I have said is over the top. I wanted to ask everyone to honestly answer the question. There is no hidden motive. I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to answer me honestly and see whether or not my opinion was warranted. You are seeming to take offense for me giving the board an opportunity to prove me wrong. Are you afraid it will prove me right? Otherwise, there is no reason for you to respond to this post the way you did!?

Actually, I started this thread SPECIFICALLY for you. You stated what I have said is over the top. I wanted to ask everyone to honestly answer the question. There is no hidden motive. I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to answer me honestly and see whether or not my opinion was warranted. You are seeming to take offense for me giving the board an opportunity to prove me wrong. Are you afraid it will prove me right? Otherwise, there is no reason for you to respond to this post the way you did!?

Taylor will tech fall both of them 100 times in a row. Everyone knows this. :lol:

There, now you have some bulletin board material to complain about.

Not sure if you mean free or folk but in either style I'd take Dake to beat Taylor 100 times out of 100. I'd take Taylor against Howe 50 out of 100.

I feel for you in regards to the "heat" you're taking. Taylor is a phenomenal talent and when he gets to the senior level he will not be a Penn St. wrestler to me but an American. I will cheer for him hard. I have no problem with Taylor's style or talent level. He is very good. My knock on Taylor always has been the competition he's seen in folkstyle. Not his fault but it is what it is. I think the best guy he's beat is DSJ and he's beat very, very few great talents. I don't want to rile up my Lehigh buddies, as they are great fans, but Hatchett is not the greatest win a guy could have on his record. The few times Taylor has been challenged he's lost. Like I've said a thousand times, Taylor is Askren/Varner and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I think Caldwell gets severely underestimated on these boards. He'll most like end up as a 4 time All-American going 5-2-3-2, That is an incredible accomplishment by any standard. He almost upset Burroughs when he was just a Sophomore (Burroughs has not lost a single match in any style since then) and is the last person to beat Howe in a folkstyle match to my knowledge. If it wasn't for the 3 headed hydra that is Taylor, Dake and Burroughs, Caldwell could realistically be going for his third national championship right now. The fact that Taylor makes him look mediocre does not mean that he actually is mediocre, it just means that Taylor really is that good.

This would be a much better pick'em without the Taylor vs Dake part... but anyhow I think Taylor vs Howe right now today at a catch weight (around 170) would be 6 (maybe 7)/10 in favor of Taylor. Dake vs. Taylor would be 8/10 in favor of Dake. Maybe worse. There's something about Dake that Taylor can't seem to overcome no matter how close...

I like Caldwell too. He's a local kid for me. I still think DSJ will have a better resume when it's all said and done. I'm not sure where you're quibble is with my post. I'm sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Better resume sure... DSJ will always be a national champ where as that is an unlikely scenario for Caldwell. I do think Junior/Senior Caldwell is significantly better than Freshman DSJ though and may even be better than Junior/Senior DSJ.

I guess my main point is that it's unfair to say Taylor has weak competition when his competition only looks weak by comparison. The fact that Caldwell looks pedestrian compared to Taylor, while Ramos still looks like a monster even when facing Stieber may say more about Taylor and Stieber than Ramos and Caldwell.

Not trying to take a shot at Iowa boys here, but it's tough to mention Taylor without comparing him to Stieber these days.

Please fire away!

Though it may be quite some time before your mind has calmed enough to appreciate the irony, you are coming off as infinitely more obsessed about Taylor than the PSU fans you accuse.

Please fire away!

Though it may be quite some time before your mind has calmed enough to appreciate the irony, you are coming off as infinitely more obsessed about Taylor than the PSU fans you accuse.

Funny you say that, since I am a huge proponent of irony. I have been aware of such and these posts are intended in kind. That and I am bored..........

I have to add that infinitely more obsessed is impossible. First off infinitely more obsessed would only be theoretically possible if the other was ZERO obsessed. Even then it would require a level of obsession even Rolling Stones' roadies couldn't achieve. Did I mention I was bored........

This might not be worthy of a discussion had Andrew not blown out his hamstring AND his ACL.

Taylor has been fortunate injury-wise, although I'm super impressed that he keeps nailing that

Cael-esque head-shove/cross ankle pick time and time again.

I'm seeing at least a couple of kids at the Wisconsin state tournament working that move successfully- quite the rage.

Andrew looked pretty good against Perry though....hoping he stays healthy.

This would be a much better pick'em without the Taylor vs Dake part... but anyhow I think Taylor vs Howe right now today at a catch weight (around 170) would be 6 (maybe 7)/10 in favor of Taylor. Dake vs. Taylor would be 8/10 in favor of Dake. Maybe worse. There's something about Dake that Taylor can't seem to overcome no matter how close...

I see both matches slightly closer, with Taylor vs. Howe @ 170 a toss-up and Dake a slight favorite over Taylor (1 or 2 points). However, I wouldn't be surprised by other outcomes (favoring any one of them).

He beat a great talent in Steve Fittery, who by the way took down DSJ to the tune of 13-1 in the 3rd place match.

I'd give Taylor a healthy advantage over Howe to be honest. People keep pointing out that Howe whooped him in freestyle YEARS ago, but folkstyle is a different animal. Once Taylor got behind on Howe he got a little aggressive in neutral since that was his only chance to make up the lost ground. In folk style, Taylor would beat Howe on the mat. If he couldn't tilt Howe, he would still be able to ride the heck out of him and wear him down.

Gonzo you are such a broken record of misinformation presented under the façade of reasonableness. The few times he's been challenged he lost? How about by Steve Fittery? How many times do I need to review the facts with you that this wrestler wrecked Jason Welch (fall), DSJ, and Adam Hall? Or that Tyler Caldwell guy he majored, yes clearly he's not any good. Or Howe in freestyle, or Trent Paulson or Nick Marable for that matter, or the guys he had to beat to win a Bronze Medal this summer in freestyle at University Worlds (one of whom I am thinking was the defending champ). You act like Hatchett is the 2nd best win of his life, which is priceless. You can't undo all of these other great wins, simply but repeating over and over again that DSJ is his best win and implying that Hatchett is his 2nd best win just because they met in the finals one year. Hatchett isn't in his top ten wins if we count freestyle.

OWA-What state is Taylor from again? If you don't like my opinion perhaps we should not be friends. You can't undo Bubba Jenkins either. I have an opinion and you have an opinion. I could care less what you think of my broken record. If you don't like it, don't listen to it.