• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cornercoach

cornercoach

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,133 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

while doing a clinic at a multi story motel,Doug went up to his 10th floor room during the break. He fell asleep standing up,leaning against the elevator wall, due to his narcolepsy. Rode up and down for 30 minutes before someone was brave enough to wake him up.

he said he took a group of wrestlers to Russia to compete one year. The russian athletes were housed right next door to the venue,ground level, while the American's were 8 miles away, on the 5th floor of their hotel. The day after they arrived, Doug said their elevator broke down and they had trouble getting a ride to the venue. He said the "damn russians were trying to wear us out before we could get to the arena".

h

#2 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:44 AM

I probably have as many Blubaugh stories as anybody.

I have previously posted some -- but I will post some other when I get a chance.

The last time I saw him, he was going home from the Big Tens and fell asleep -- and got into an accident -- in Southern Illinois. He called me -- and I went down there and picked him up. He stayed with me for a while (in the Chicago area) -- and we told each other a lot of stories about the good old days.

What a great guy! And what a great coach! -- I think if there were a ranking of assistant coaches -- he would first -- all time. He told me he regretted every day when he left his job at MSU to become head coach at Indiana.

In the next years, I'm going to (try to) write a book about Doug -- and our (mildly bizarre) '67 team.

Thanks for posting this.

Best -

DA

#3 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:36 AM

I probably have as many Blubaugh stories as anybody.

I have previously posted some -- but I will post some other when I get a chance.

The last time I saw him, he was going home from the Big Tens and fell asleep -- and got into an accident -- in Southern Illinois. He called me -- and I went down there and picked him up. He stayed with me for a while (in the Chicago area) -- and we told each other a lot of stories about the good old days.

What a great guy! And what a great coach! -- I think if there were a ranking of assistant coaches -- he would first -- all time. He told me he regretted every day when he left his job at MSU to become head coach at Indiana.

In the next years, I'm going to (try to) write a book about Doug -- and our (mildly bizarre) '67 team.

Thanks for posting this.

Best -

DA

A book I would read in a heartbeat.

#4 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:39 AM

I always thought it was interesting that the high school team Blubaugh's son was on from Bloomington, IN (while dad coached IU) competed against the team Habibi's son was on from New Albany, IN (his family migrated to US and lived there for awhile).

#5 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

Good Story --

Do you know any details -- who won -- etc. --

I heard (from Doug) that Habibi followed him around for a while -- wanting a re-match. Doug apparently said "NO way -- nobody's taking my Gold Medal away from ME!"

Do you know any other details about Blubaugh in Indiana?

He told me some things -- but I'm trying to get some others.

Merry Christmas!

Best -

DA

#6 MadMardigain

MadMardigain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 8,474 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Good Story --

Do you know any details -- who won -- etc. --

DA

They were at two different weight classes so didn't actually compete against each other. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which team won, but historically Bloomington had the better team much of that time.

I don't have too many Blubaugh I.U. stories, but I'm sure a few people do. I do know he ran a very nice Summer Camp for a number of years (actually out in a woodland area not on a campus) which I've heard had some great stories associated with it.

#7 DAA

DAA

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 748 posts

Posted 31 October 2016 - 11:30 AM

I am replying to The Ohio State, above. I have written a book about our 1967 team. I told you a few years ago I would write it for the 50th year anniversary of our championship. (You said you would read it in a heartbeat.) It actually took 3 years and 10 drafts. It's called A Spartan Journey (and subtitled Michigan State's 1967 Miracle on the Mat). Writing the book was a very fun journey itself. The book is dedicated to Doug Blubaugh, with a lot of commentary about him and his relationship to Grady, our head coach, and all the wrestlers -- especially me. And it is written, more or less, autobiographically. It already has accumulated a lot of nice testimonials. You can go to my facebook page or 67Spartanbook.com to see some of the testimonials or to buy the book. You can also contact me at daa2000@aol.com if you have any questions. Also, If you want to know more about the book itself you can go to YouTube and write in my name -- Dale Anderson wrestler -- and you will see some interviews I have done about the book. Most of the major wrestling publications have discussed the book. Hopefully everyone who reads it will enjoy it!

Best

DA

• keoniluke likes this

#8 TheOhioState

TheOhioState

Gold Member

• Members
  • 2,334 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:57 AM

I am replying to The Ohio State, above. I have written a book about our 1967 team. I told you a few years ago I would write it for the 50th year anniversary of our championship. (You said you would read it in a heartbeat.) It actually took 3 years and 10 drafts. It's called A Spartan Journey (and subtitled Michigan State's 1967 Miracle on the Mat). Writing the book was a very fun journey itself. The book is dedicated to Doug Blubaugh, with a lot of commentary about him and his relationship to Grady, our head coach, and all the wrestlers -- especially me. And it is written, more or less, autobiographically. It already has accumulated a lot of nice testimonials. You can go to my facebook page or 67Spartanbook.com to see some of the testimonials or to buy the book. You can also contact me at daa2000@aol.com if you have any questions. Also, If you want to know more about the book itself you can go to YouTube and write in my name -- Dale Anderson wrestler -- and you will see some interviews I have done about the book. Most of the major wrestling publications have discussed the book. Hopefully everyone who reads it will enjoy it!

Best

DA

Hi, Dale:

I missed your Oct. 2016 reply and just saw it today.  Ordered the ebook version, and I've now got it on my tablet.  Looking forward to reading it!

-TheOhioState

#9 KingK0ng

KingK0ng

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 11:26 AM

Coach Blubaugh was recently voted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame.

Oklahoma connection: Born in Ponca City and spent his final years in Tonkawa before being killed in a 2011 motorcycle accident. A talented high school wrestler who went on to compete at Oklahoma State from 1955-57. Also member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity on campus.

Claim to fame: Compiled a 27-3-1 record at OSU, including an individual NCAA title in 1957 and three NCAA team titles. Won gold at the 1960 Rome Olympics by defeating previously unbeaten Iranian champion Emam Ali Habibi. Totaled more than 400 career victories. Head wrestling coach at Indiana from 1973-84.

Former OCU coach David James was also join him in this years class along with others

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users