Sign in to follow this  
cornercoach

Blubaugh

while doing a clinic at a multi story motel,Doug went up to his 10th floor room during the break. He fell asleep standing up,leaning against the elevator wall, due to his narcolepsy. Rode up and down for 30 minutes before someone was brave enough to wake him up.

he said he took a group of wrestlers to Russia to compete one year. The russian athletes were housed right next door to the venue,ground level, while the American's were 8 miles away, on the 5th floor of their hotel. The day after they arrived, Doug said their elevator broke down and they had trouble getting a ride to the venue. He said the "damn russians were trying to wear us out before we could get to the arena".

h

I probably have as many Blubaugh stories as anybody.

I have previously posted some -- but I will post some other when I get a chance.

The last time I saw him, he was going home from the Big Tens and fell asleep -- and got into an accident -- in Southern Illinois. He called me -- and I went down there and picked him up. He stayed with me for a while (in the Chicago area) -- and we told each other a lot of stories about the good old days.

What a great guy! And what a great coach! -- I think if there were a ranking of assistant coaches -- he would first -- all time. He told me he regretted every day when he left his job at MSU to become head coach at Indiana.

In the next years, I'm going to (try to) write a book about Doug -- and our (mildly bizarre) '67 team.

Thanks for posting this.

Best -

DA

I probably have as many Blubaugh stories as anybody.

I have previously posted some -- but I will post some other when I get a chance.

The last time I saw him, he was going home from the Big Tens and fell asleep -- and got into an accident -- in Southern Illinois. He called me -- and I went down there and picked him up. He stayed with me for a while (in the Chicago area) -- and we told each other a lot of stories about the good old days.

What a great guy! And what a great coach! -- I think if there were a ranking of assistant coaches -- he would first -- all time. He told me he regretted every day when he left his job at MSU to become head coach at Indiana.

In the next years, I'm going to (try to) write a book about Doug -- and our (mildly bizarre) '67 team.

Thanks for posting this.

Best -

DA

A book I would read in a heartbeat.

Good Story --

Do you know any details -- who won -- etc. --

I heard (from Doug) that Habibi followed him around for a while -- wanting a re-match. Doug apparently said "NO way -- nobody's taking my Gold Medal away from ME!"

Do you know any other details about Blubaugh in Indiana?

He told me some things -- but I'm trying to get some others.

Merry Christmas!

Best -

DA

Good Story --

Do you know any details -- who won -- etc. --

DA

They were at two different weight classes so didn't actually compete against each other. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which team won, but historically Bloomington had the better team much of that time.

I don't have too many Blubaugh I.U. stories, but I'm sure a few people do. I do know he ran a very nice Summer Camp for a number of years (actually out in a woodland area not on a campus) which I've heard had some great stories associated with it.

I am replying to The Ohio State, above. I have written a book about our 1967 team. I told you a few years ago I would write it for the 50th year anniversary of our championship. (You said you would read it in a heartbeat.) It actually took 3 years and 10 drafts. It's called A Spartan Journey (and subtitled Michigan State's 1967 Miracle on the Mat). Writing the book was a very fun journey itself. The book is dedicated to Doug Blubaugh, with a lot of commentary about him and his relationship to Grady, our head coach, and all the wrestlers -- especially me. And it is written, more or less, autobiographically. It already has accumulated a lot of nice testimonials. You can go to my facebook page or 67Spartanbook.com to see some of the testimonials or to buy the book. You can also contact me at daa2000@aol.com if you have any questions. Also, If you want to know more about the book itself you can go to YouTube and write in my name -- Dale Anderson wrestler -- and you will see some interviews I have done about the book. Most of the major wrestling publications have discussed the book. Hopefully everyone who reads it will enjoy it!

Best

DA

I am replying to The Ohio State, above. I have written a book about our 1967 team. I told you a few years ago I would write it for the 50th year anniversary of our championship. (You said you would read it in a heartbeat.) It actually took 3 years and 10 drafts. It's called A Spartan Journey (and subtitled Michigan State's 1967 Miracle on the Mat). Writing the book was a very fun journey itself. The book is dedicated to Doug Blubaugh, with a lot of commentary about him and his relationship to Grady, our head coach, and all the wrestlers -- especially me. And it is written, more or less, autobiographically. It already has accumulated a lot of nice testimonials. You can go to my facebook page or 67Spartanbook.com to see some of the testimonials or to buy the book. You can also contact me at daa2000@aol.com if you have any questions. Also, If you want to know more about the book itself you can go to YouTube and write in my name -- Dale Anderson wrestler -- and you will see some interviews I have done about the book. Most of the major wrestling publications have discussed the book. Hopefully everyone who reads it will enjoy it!

Best

DA

Hi, Dale:

I missed your Oct. 2016 reply and just saw it today.  Ordered the ebook version, and I've now got it on my tablet.  Looking forward to reading it!

-TheOhioState

Coach Blubaugh was recently voted into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame.

Oklahoma connection: Born in Ponca City and spent his final years in Tonkawa before being killed in a 2011 motorcycle accident. A talented high school wrestler who went on to compete at Oklahoma State from 1955-57. Also member of the Tau Kappa Epsilon fraternity on campus.

Claim to fame: Compiled a 27-3-1 record at OSU, including an individual NCAA title in 1957 and three NCAA team titles. Won gold at the 1960 Rome Olympics by defeating previously unbeaten Iranian champion Emam Ali Habibi. Totaled more than 400 career victories. Head wrestling coach at Indiana from 1973-84.

Former OCU coach David James was also join him in this years class along with others

They were at two different weight classes so didn't actually compete against each other. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which team won, but historically Bloomington had the better team much of that time.

I don't have too many Blubaugh I.U. stories, but I'm sure a few people do. I do know he ran a very nice Summer Camp for a number of years (actually out in a woodland area not on a campus) which I've heard had some great stories associated with it.

I grew up about 15 minutes outside of Bloomington and went to that camp.  Was one of my faves

Doug stayed with me a few times when he did camps in Ohio, mid to late 90's. He would fall asleep during a clinic sometimes during the middle of a move and just sort of fall over. A grateful and gentleman of a house guest too. Pleasure to have gotten to know him a bit. 

We were attending the Dan Gable Classic in 1999. The USA was wrestling Iran. There was a large contingency of Iranian media, presa, and fans. The Iranian press saw Dan Gable at the end of the gym. A crowd of about 50 Iranians gathered around Gable. We went down to check out the action. We walked down with an older gentleman who we were sitting by. The older gentleman was Doug Blubaugh. As we stood with Doug watching the Iranian reporters interview/mob Gable. One of the reporters, probably about 30 years old, caught a glimpse of Doug Blubaugh out pf his peripheral vision. The Iranian reporter turned and said, "Blubaugh?" At that point every Iranian's ears perked up and turned to Doug. Doug nodded yes. The Gable interview/mob was over. They were so excited to see, meat, speak to the man that defeated their legend. The magnitude of their knowledge and appreciation for the sport and man was incredible. I will never forget this.

Attended Blubaugh's camp in the Mid 80s as well.  There was a father who still competed on the Open circuit (i.e. he'd enter the Masters Division at AAU Nationals, not like Olympic level or anything). He was about the same size as Coach Blubaugh, maybe a little bigger but he was in his early 30s and in great shape and it was my understanding he did pretty well on the open circuit (though I have no idea what his credentials were if any). One day after all the youth kids were having matches, they decide to have this guy and Blubaugh have a match. Blubaugh was early 50s I think- and tbh looked even older than that.  I'm thinking no way can this guy still go, he's looking old enough to be the other guy's father. The result was a Blubaugh pin in like 17 seconds lol.

Edited by Cradle1