Sign in to follow this  
cangemi

iowa gilman

Was at Endiboro came away think Gilman looked the best

How good is clark then?

How will they get GIlman in.line up , too good to ride bench

Anyone know the plan?

Frank

I say put Ramos at 141. He beat a easy top 5 probably top 3 Carter while weighing in for 133.

Gilman's is so poised in matches I've seen Id rather call it arrogance.

Gilman made 121lbs this summer for a freestyle tourney. Sucks to have to sit with two guys you can't beat ahead of you.

Over the years I've come to tip my hat to people who can actually do that. I never, cannot, nor will understand how someone is able to do that and not transfer to a school where you can instantly be in the lineup, assuming that the person isn't going to that school mainly for academics.

Homey wasn't going to sit when I played sports, and if I did, I would have (1) transferred or (2) quit.

Off the top of my head: champions Alger, Dresser, Terry Brands, Terry Steiner, Darrell Weber, Jesse Whitmer, and of course, the two VTU champs, Metcalf and Borshel, who gave up a year. All of these,and a number of others who became AAs, did not seem to suffer much by having to sit for a year or more.

Gilman made 121lbs this summer for a freestyle tourney. Sucks to have to sit with two guys you can't beat ahead of you.

Over the years I've come to tip my hat to people who can actually do that. I never, cannot, nor will understand how someone is able to do that and not transfer to a school where you can instantly be in the lineup, assuming that the person isn't going to that school mainly for academics.

Homey wasn't going to sit when I played sports, and if I did, I would have (1) transferred or (2) quit.

I'm with you on this one. Wrestling practices are too hard to do six days a week and then never get the opportunity to put on the singlet and wrestle against another school. Even a college wrestler getting to go to open tournaments is better than the high school JV guy who never gets to wrestle because there are so few JV matches now, or, even worse, being third on the depth chart and never ever getting to wrestle.

Don't ask me how I know this to be true.

the only reason to leave, wrestling related, is that your training situation is not getting you to be the best wrestler you can be. any athlete who is in a great training situation and "leaves to get in another line up" is never going to reach his potential and is a hack. hack maybe too strong. how about a stupid child or poorly misguided.

a lot of people just don't get what drives certain athletes. maybe this kid wants to be the best in the world someday? getting to wrestle in a dual meet or at ncaa's is not a prerequisite for that goal.

Off the top of my head: champions Alger, Dresser, Terry Brands, Terry Steiner, Darrell Weber, Jesse Whitmer, and of course, the two VTU champs, Metcalf and Borshel, who gave up a year. All of these,and a number of others who became AAs, did not seem to suffer much by having to sit for a year or more.

Came into this thread specifically to post Whitmer's name. hell of a story.

the only reason to leave, wrestling related, is that your training situation is not getting you to be the best wrestler you can be. any athlete who is in a great training situation and "leaves to get in another line up" is never going to reach his potential and is a hack. hack maybe too strong. how about a stupid child or poorly misguided.

a lot of people just don't get what drives certain athletes. maybe this kid wants to be the best in the world someday? getting to wrestle in a dual meet or at ncaa's is not a prerequisite for that goal.

I can't totally agree with that. There are situations where a kid just can't hack it. or is switching up for the wrong reasons. But these guys are 18-22 year olds and they only get 5 years to wrestle 4. And in the case of wrestling, they are likely paying a bulk of the cost of attending school themselves. If a guy is never going to see the starting lineup, or have to sit for 2-3 years and then hope they aren't hurt or get over-recruited the 1-2 years they have on varsity, then I can't hold it against them if they choose to go somewhere they'll actually see the mat.

These kids devote their whole lives to wrestling, why hold it against them if they transfer in order to see the starting lineup? Most of the time both sides come out ahead. The kid gets his shot and the school gets some scholarship money that was sitting on the bench freed up.

Or maybe the only thing he's wanted to do since he started wrestling was be an Iowa Hawkeye.

Won't be the first and won't be the last to do something similar for a school they've always wanted to be a part of.

I think you nailed it, because he might be the starter as a Husker, and turned down that opportunity. Anyone know if he ever faced Lambert, or Morgan? I assume he and McCrystal have met in high school?

I can't totally agree with that. There are situations where a kid just can't hack it. or is switching up for the wrong reasons. But these guys are 18-22 year olds and they only get 5 years to wrestle 4. And in the case of wrestling, they are likely paying a bulk of the cost of attending school themselves. If a guy is never going to see the starting lineup, or have to sit for 2-3 years and then hope they aren't hurt or get over-recruited the 1-2 years they have on varsity, then I can't hold it against them if they choose to go somewhere they'll actually see the mat.

These kids devote their whole lives to wrestling, why hold it against them if they transfer in order to see the starting lineup? Most of the time both sides come out ahead. The kid gets his shot and the school gets some scholarship money that was sitting on the bench freed up.

it depends on the kid's goals. i believe that a kid with gilman's talent should have 1 goal and that is to be the best in the world and put himself in the place where he thinks that is most likely to happen.

wouldn't you agree that taking yourself out of that place just to get into a line up puts you farther away from what you have devoted your whole life to? depends on a wrestler's goals.

Not necessarily. If Iowa were the Iowa of old, sure, it would be hands down the best place to train to maximize your potential. But today, there are several non-Iowa choices that provide a top-notch training environment for aspiring senior world-level wrestlers. I'm not sure Gilman would be that much worse off, or worse off at all, by transferring to, say Ohio State or Minnesota, where he would get comparable training situations and the benefit of being able to start.

It is also important to keep in mind that if you want to be the best competitor out there, you have to, well, compete. You can train all day and all night, but if you don't compete, you will not maximize your potential. So much of wrestling is mental, and the very act of competing when something is at stake, again and again and again, is as important as the actual training itself.

By the way, I'm not arguing Gilman should transfer, since it appears that with Ramos's graduation, there will be room for him next year. But if he had no shot of starting next year or the following, transferring would be a very reasonable choice.

I say put Ramos at 141. He beat a easy top 5 probably top 3 Carter while weighing in for 133.

I have mixed feelings on this. I get where you are coming from and see your point. However, I just don't think you do that to a guy like Ramos. He's a senior and he has ate, slept and breathed Iowa wrestling for the last 5 years now. Not only that, but he has presented himself as an outstanding individual as well with a high sense of dignity and class. While other Hawkeye wrestlers on the past have chosen to get into trouble and make poor decisions, here is a guy that our wrestling youth can look up to. He deserves to be put in a position where he has the best chance of winning a national title. That position is at 133 lbs. For the team race, yes, putting him at 141, allowing both Gilman and Clark to be in the lineup would be best. However, it'd also dramatically decrease his chances for an NCAA title. Wrestling is funny like that I suppose. Sacrifices do need to be made at time by the individual for the betterment of the team. However in this particular case, I'd leave Ramos at 133 because biased as I am, I want to see him win an NCAA title.

There have been a lot of "quitters" in our sport-all sports, for that matter-that went on to achieve big things.

What some call a "quitter" I usually call "smart." ;)

In war they all that "cut and run." ;)

Well, yes, when Ronnie Ketchup IS A Vegetable Reagan cut and run from Lebanon during the 80's they never fought again, did they?

In the examples that I'm speaking of, many of these wrestlers quit one team to wrestle on another team, which is not really cutting and running.