Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

How do Taylor's Top10 Wins compare to the likes of Dake?

The only argument that needs to be made is whether you would rather have Dake on your team or Taylor. I think the answer is easily Taylor from a team point of view. I do not think even a dbag like Gonzo can argue that one.

Well, I think that depends on if it's a Cornell vs PSU dual, or a championship round.

Well Taylor has made the finals in every tournament he has ever wrestled in college, and usually bonusing his way through in the process. Even losing to Dake in the finals last year, Im pretty sure he outscored him for the tournament. Taylor will get you bonus, while Dake will win by dec to some turd half the people here never heard of until he held Dake to a decision. Ill take Taylor on my team over Dake always and forever.

Well Taylor has made the finals in every tournament he has ever wrestled in college, and usually bonusing his way through in the process. Even losing to Dake in the finals last year, Im pretty sure he outscored him for the tournament. Taylor will get you bonus, while Dake will win by dec to some turd half the people here never heard of until he held Dake to a decision. Ill take Taylor on my team over Dake always and forever.

Dake 22pts Taylor 19pts

Dake 26pts Taylor 29pts

Dake 22pts Taylor 24pts

Dake scored 23pts in 2010 so his career total is 93pts. Taylor might end up around 100pts. Not exactly sure where that stands all time, but I think it is top 5 maybe top 3 if it turns out that way.

apparently you weren't happy with how the comparison of AA's wrestled turned out, so you had to act like I was doing something wrong by making that list. the list is done for you. you can subjectively pick taylor's 10 best wins from the guys he has wrestled that were AA's. once you have the 10 picked; you can post the list, compare, and be happy that you proved someone on another thread was a moron. not that you were trying to prove your side of the argument, you were just curious to compare wins.

The whole point was for me NOT to be the one making Taylor's top10 list. I have been known to criticize his competition and was asking for an impartial or even a Taylor sided fan's perspective.

For some reason you seem to be taking offense to this. I am not trying to prove anyone is a moron. Several people on here seem to disagree that Taylor has had a relatively week schedule and said hatchery wouldn't be on his list if he included freestyle. Since this is a college forum I asked what his top10 college are. I truly am interested in how they compare. It doesn't have to be an argument.

Below is a list of the top 25 scorers at the 2013 NCAA's.

Logan Stieber 27

Edward Ruth 26

David Taylor 24

Jordan Oliver 24

Kendric Maple 24

Jesse Delgado 22.5

Anthony Nelson 22

Kyle Dake 22

Quentin Wright 22

Chris Perry 20

Derek St. John 20

Matthew Brown 20

Tony Ramos 20

Alex Dieringer 18.5

Nicholas Megaludis 18.5

Dustin Kilgore 18

Jason Chamberlain 18

Mitchell Port 18

Alan Gelogaev 17.5

Taylor Meeks 17.5

Robert Kokesh 16.5

Jason Welch 16

Matthew Wilps 16

Michael McMullan 16

Robert Hamlin 16

As noted above, Taylor outscored Dake by 2 points. This may be the only instance when a runner-up has scored more points than the champion in his weight class. Other interesting data includes:

Runner-up Brown scored as many points as champ Perry (20 points each).

Runner-up Ramos scored as many points as his teammate, champ St. John (20 points each).

You have a narrow view of things. You apparently don't understand the value of PR. Those extra 2 or 3 points do not compare to the PR Dake's accomplishments brought to Cornell. What was the biggest news coming out of the tournament last year? I'd suggest Dake beating Taylor for his fourth championship at four weights …. not Taylor getting an extra 2 team points. Sorry man, you need to see the forest, not a few trees.

The only argument that needs to be made is whether you would rather have Dake on your team or Taylor. I think the answer is easily Taylor from a team point of view. I do not think even a dbag like Gonzo can argue that one.

Why is that the "only argument that needs to be made"? Anywho, picking Taylor over Dake would all depend on the quality of competition involved. Maybe it's best to pick Taylor if your competition is mostly second and third tier wrestlers. If we are talking about a situation where this hypothetical competition consists of all time great wrestlers, competing on the big stage, Dake would easily get my pick.

You have a narrow view of things. You apparently don't understand the value of PR. Those extra 2 or 3 points do not compare to the PR Dake's accomplishments brought to Cornell. What was the biggest news coming out of the tournament last year? I'd suggest Dake beating Taylor for his fourth championship at four weights …. not Taylor getting an extra 2 team points. Sorry man, you need to see the forest, not a few trees.

Taylor is an invaluable recruiter and PR machine for Penn State wrestling. No joke. Young wrestlers around here want to be the next scoring machine, the next David Taylor.

I'll give it a try, off the top of my head:

Taylor quality wins:

Fittery

DSJ

Caldwell

Evans

Welch?

Kokesh

Abdurakhmanov

Dake quality wins: (not as familiar with Dake)

Reece Humphrey?

Montell Marion

Taylor

Molinaro

Don Vinson?

Caldwell

DSJ

that's all i can think of and prob missed a lot. Dake has the more impressive list.

----

Taylor never wrestled Welch.

There are different spins on the question.... if you limit it to wins, you needn't mention Taylor losing to Jenkins or Dake. If you want to tally bonus, Taylor shines.

Just my 2 cents, which echoes what several others have said:

Dake had tougher opponents.

Taylor scores more bonus pts and was the more exciting guy to watch.

You need to stop living under a rock and understand how much Taylor does for PSU recruiting. Taylor is a top talent of his generation. You act like Dake winning 4 titles is somehow going to overshadow Taylor and Cael. I think it is you that needs to see the whole forrest my friend.

Why is that the "only argument that needs to be made"? Anywho, picking Taylor over Dake would all depend on the quality of competition involved. Maybe it's best to pick Taylor if your competition is mostly second and third tier wrestlers. If we are talking about a situation where this hypothetical competition consists of all time great wrestlers, competing on the big stage, Dake would easily get my pick.

This isnt some hypothetical monster mini tournament scenario. This is a typical college wrestling season, in a typical situation. Taylor is the better wrestler to have on your team for team scoring purposes, and you have no data to support otherwise. You want to pick Dake to win a big match, I dont really care. Doesnt change the fact that over the course of the season, and 2 of the 3 NCAA tournaments they wrestled in together, Taylor has outscored Dake. I will take Taylor on my team.

2 of the 3? I'm not following. Dake won titles two years Taylor was runner-up. Are you excluding one of those?

Last year Taylor outscored Dake in team points at the NCAA tournament.

Do the youngsters favor Taylor over Ruth? It seems that Taylor gets a lot more praise than Ruth. It seemed like this even before Ruth's latest run in with the law.

Not to take anything at all away from Ruth, but let's just say that the autograph lines are a mile long for Taylor.

This isnt some hypothetical monster mini tournament scenario. This is a typical college wrestling season, in a typical situation. Taylor is the better wrestler to have on your team for team scoring purposes, and you have no data to support otherwise. You want to pick Dake to win a big match, I dont really care. Doesnt change the fact that over the course of the season, and 2 of the 3 NCAA tournaments they wrestled in together, Taylor has outscored Dake. I will take Taylor on my team.

All of that and more. Taylor has influenced other wrestlers at Penn State to attempt to score in bunches like he does, so others have become higher bonus point scorers because of his influence. It is EASY to spot in how the style of the other wrestlers has changed. Matt Brown is a great example of this. He is now playing the cat and mouse take them down let them back up game. That is the Cael Sanderson-David Taylor influence right there.

Taylor has made everyone around him a better wrestler, which is what everyone around him says when asked. No wonder the young guns around here want to be like Taylor.

WTF!!! Dake has graduated already. How long are we going to keep debating who was the better wrestler?

The first criteria in any tiebreaker I've ever seen is head-to-head. Dake is 5-0 against Taylor so far. That's pretty dominating and I think at this point in their careers...end of story.

Let Taylor enjoy his senior season, appreciate how very good he is and his amazing talent. He's the best college wrestler in the country right now and will win the Hodge again. Appreciate that and find something else more current to debate than Dake/Taylor. PSU fans and fellow Dake-haters will never believe, no matter how many times Dake beats him that Dake is better, so let's move on.

Let's talk about Steiber - Retherford!

2 of the 3? I'm not following. Dake won titles two years Taylor was runner-up. Are you excluding one of those?

Shuck, what he's referring to is that Taylor scored more team points than Dake did in 2 out of the last 3 NCAA tournaments.

2013: Dake-22 points, Taylor-24 points

2012: Dake-27 points, Taylor-30.5 points

2011: Dake-23 points, Taylor-19.5 points

Note: In 2010, Dake scored 24 points during Taylor's redshirt year.

Shuck, what he's referring to is that Taylor scored more team points than Dake did in 2 out of the last 3 NCAA tournaments.

2013: Dake-22 points, Taylor-24 points

2012: Dake-27 points, Taylor-30.5 points

2011: Dake-23 points, Taylor-19.5 points

Note: In 2010, Dake scored 24 points during Taylor's redshirt year.

Ah, OK. So I went off to find a site with a history of NCAA champions to see if the runner-up got any credit. I came across http://www.wrestlingstats.com/ncaa/home.htm. A little outdated unfortunately. Anyway, I got distracted. Look at all those Cowboys!