Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

new weights

the new weights make for some interesting decisions at the bottom and seem to cater to the upperweights by staying with the weight class they have been competing in.

57kg/ 125.4: right away this seems ideal for simmons getting the extra 2kgs. maybe even cejudo will feel more comfortable at the weight and interrupt an mma career (where he is competing at 125 for Legacy) to wrestle for rio. I can't imagine any of the other big hitters at 60kg would be able to make 57kg. McDonough has to like the change, but I don't see him competing with Delgado and Garrett in the future in FS.

65kg/ 143: probably helps oliver making the weight a little lower, but not much change. can any of the 60kg guys make the jump? I don't think so.

74kg/ 162.8: this weight will be absolutely loaded domestically because of the increase above. none of the heavy hitters will be able to move down and 86kg is a long way up. I think we will see more 174lb college guys drop here because of the 2kg increase above.

86kg/ 189.2: you would think this would hurt gavin because he doesn't have a huge frame. Herbert I think would be okay if he returns. the change hurts ruth and probably helps wright, though I don't think 84kg would have been such a bad cut for him. this change for London might have been enough to keep cael around.

97kg: zero impact

125kg: zero impact

seems odd that FILA would widen the lower and upper bounds while eliminating a weight class. you'd think they'd narrow the total band. so raise the bottom, which they did, but then also lower the top, not expand it.

97 and 125 should see no competitive different from 96 and 120. the other 4 remaining classes all get marginally more difficult as more wrestlers get squeezed into fewer classes. 97 actually probably gets marginally easier as a few more guys will be able to make the cut to 86 yet very few people will make the cut to 97 that werent already cutting to 96.

so the 2 upper weights do nothing if not get easier; some more guys at the very low end of the spectrum are effectively cut from competition, and the already brutal middle weights get even more brutal. not too much you can do with just 6 weight classes tho.

Sorry guys, I can barely get myself to read this post it disgusts me so much.

This is totally wrong what the IOC and FILA did to the mens' weight classes. Borderline criminal in my mind.

Would love to see the women wrestlers come out and support an increase in weight classes for the men.

One more thing, and I said this before. How cool would it be to have Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor (or Howe, etc) all in Team USA's starting lineup. Never gonna see that with these weight classes.

And for that matter, I'm sure most countries will have to leave some of their superstars home.

Thanks for trashing the sport IOC and FILA! (Well at least the men's version of the sport.)

I think this is smart. FILA changed everything and they are going to get the bugs out, not in time for 2016, but by 2020 I think we will see the Olympic weights at 8. The IOC sounded like they were tired of the old regime at FILA pretty much ignoring them. If we can run a couple of worlds and an Olympics under the new set and it runs smoothly and isn't a disaster, we'll get those 2 weights back.

I think this is smart. FILA changed everything and they are going to get the bugs out, not in time for 2016, but by 2020 I think we will see the Olympic weights at 8. The IOC sounded like they were tired of the old regime at FILA pretty much ignoring them. If we can run a couple of worlds and an Olympics under the new set and it runs smoothly and isn't a disaster, we'll get those 2 weights back.

i like your thinking on the non-Olympic year weights. it leads me this question. if they do increase the number of competition spots, or decide to go to smaller brackets and more weight classes; do they use the 8 weights they now have for worlds or go back to the 8 weights from 2000?

57, 61, 65, 70, 74, 86, 97, 125 2015

54, 58, 63, 69, 76, 85, 97, 130 2000

56, 60, 65, 71, 78, 86, 96, 130 my best solution to 8 weights

56, 60, 65, 71, 78, 86, 96, 130 my best solution to 8 weights

thats about what i'm thinking. anything that at least looks like that is good for me. start at 55 or higher and increased by 8-11% until HWT.

the jump from 74 to 86 is way to high (16%) if they keep all the other weights the same IMO. 70 to 74 is a 6% increase.

I'm in agreement with 2td2nf. This crap makes me want to puke. This is just like Title 9, but on a global scale. We do away with opportunities for men, who have (as a majority) trained longer and harder than women, but we cater to the women, because it appears to be fair. All around the world there are far fewer women wrestlers, and most of them have not been training wrestling their entire lives. At first glance, having the same number of weight classes like equality, but when anybody with half a brain looks at the situation and at the numbers that matter, they must see that it is ludicrously unfair to men, and as 2td2nf said: borderline criminal. Thanks Fila and IOC.

One more thing. They might have things fixed and worked out by 2020 or 2024, but how many of our wrestlers will be willing to stay that long. Most of the wrestlers currently on the senior level will be past their prime, or needing to feed a family by then. For a lot of wrestlers 2016 is going to be their best chance at Olympic glory, and for some their only opportunity.

The complaining is a bit much IMO. No one likes the 6 weight thing but that's what the IOC wants, and this has been known for a while. FILA did a pretty good job spreading the weights out and putting in non Olympic weights (except for the odd 74-86 kg jump).

Also, some of the stupider rules (match ending throws, 7 pt tech) have been removed, for freestyle at least. Al this is good news.

Finally, it's not FILA's fault that Dake, Taylor and Burroughs are the same sixe. The 74/76 kg weight has been around forever. Perhaps someone wants to cut to 70? Russia has 4 world champions just at 60 k6.

Well, I'll admit, I complained quite a bit on this topic. But c'mon, probably every country got hosed on the weight class eliminations.

I just happened to use the "American example" with JB, Dake, Taylor and Howe. You used the "Russian version" at 60 kg.

Do we need a new post to discuss all of the rule changes?

Scoring, match protocol

1) 10 pt tech FS, 8 pt GR

2) No more 2x3 pt 1x5 pt ends the match

3) 1pt exposure bonus point is gone

4) "Throws" are worth 4 points. (What counts as a "throw?)

Tournament procedures

1) Still 1 day format, start time moved up to 10am

2) 30 min rest period mandatory

3) I assume repechage remains unchanged

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/238 ... ic-Weights

Outstanding changes! More rest time between matches, expanded repechage matches, eliminating silly 7 point techs and throws ending matches. Two point takedowns, no clinches, it's looking like wrestling again! Love the rule changes!!

Like everyone else, I'm outraged and disgusted by 6 weights in the Olympics. Looking on the bright side, at least were still in the Olympics, and we've got people making logical changes for the betterment of the sport. I love that they do 8 weights in non Olympic years, and hopefully that too is a step in the direction of adding more weights to the Olympics once again.

Do we need a new post to discuss all of the rule changes?

Scoring, match protocol

1) 10 pt tech FS, 8 pt GR

good change. The 7 pt tech was just too fast (though it did encourage guys to get after it- hopefully that doesn't chage).

2) No more 2x3 pt 1x5 pt ends the match

Excellent change. The 2x3 rule was awful.

3) 1pt exposure bonus point is gone

Meh. It does simplify the scoring, which is good, I guess.

4) "Throws" are worth 4 points. (What counts as a "throw?)

My understanding is that this relates to all feet-to-back manoevers. If, so this is a good change. It didn't make sense for a TD + turn to be worth more than a takedown with exposure. I will miss the old 5 which no longer exists in freestyle, but again this simplifies the scoring which I support.

Tournament procedures

1) Still 1 day format, start time moved up to 10am

A no brainer. The late starts were rediculous.

2) 30 min rest period mandatory

Good. I wrestled with the 15 minute breaks and it could be pretty tough.

3) I assume repechage remains unchanged

I think they are considering expanded wrestkebacks but haven't changed things yet.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/238 ... ic-Weights

My rule by rule comments are enclosed in the quote box...

Overall, great changes. FILA always seems to have at least one dumb change, in this case the jump betyween 74-86 kg (the old 76, 85 or even 74,84 makes much more sense). Also it's too bad they haven't adressed the annoying criteria. However, these are huge steps in the right direction. Hopefully an improved product leads to improved popularity of wrestling, which is the best hope for getting Olympic weights increased IMO.

Wonder if we'll see Taghavi at this new weight. Would have been perfect for Ramazan Shahin. I bet Goudrazi would love a non-Burroughs weight class, but I doubt he could make 70 kg.

I wonder if any of the smaller 97's will try to drop to 86 kg.

I hate the continued reduction of weight classes. There will be more tweeners that won't get to compete and all of us miss out on more great matches. Also, what is the logic with 6 weight classes when boxing has 10 weight classes?