Sign in to follow this  
sockobuw

new weights

Do we need a new post to discuss all of the rule changes?

Scoring, match protocol

1) 10 pt tech FS, 8 pt GR

good change. The 7 pt tech was just too fast (though it did encourage guys to get after it- hopefully that doesn't chage).

2) No more 2x3 pt 1x5 pt ends the match

Excellent change. The 2x3 rule was awful.

3) 1pt exposure bonus point is gone

Meh. It does simplify the scoring, which is good, I guess.

4) "Throws" are worth 4 points. (What counts as a "throw?)

My understanding is that this relates to all feet-to-back manoevers. If, so this is a good change. It didn't make sense for a TD + turn to be worth more than a takedown with exposure. I will miss the old 5 which no longer exists in freestyle, but again this simplifies the scoring which I support.

Tournament procedures

1) Still 1 day format, start time moved up to 10am

A no brainer. The late starts were rediculous.

2) 30 min rest period mandatory

Good. I wrestled with the 15 minute breaks and it could be pretty tough.

3) I assume repechage remains unchanged

I think they are considering expanded wrestkebacks but haven't changed things yet.

http://www.flowrestling.org/article/238 ... ic-Weights

My rule by rule comments are enclosed in the quote box...

Overall, great changes. FILA always seems to have at least one dumb change, in this case the jump betyween 74-86 kg (the old 76, 85 or even 74,84 makes much more sense). Also it's too bad they haven't adressed the annoying criteria. However, these are huge steps in the right direction. Hopefully an improved product leads to improved popularity of wrestling, which is the best hope for getting Olympic weights increased IMO.

armspin - good analysis of the rules. I agree with your breakdown.

I'm ok with the one day format too, now with these new provisions. Yes, the new rules look much, much better, and hopefully they will create a lot more action on the mat and less confusion with the refs and fans.

As we all know, it was probably next to impossible to market international wrestling during the "clinch" era. Low scoring, boring match after boring match, with many matches ending with the ridiculous and inconsistent clinch causing so many controversial endings.

Now, if we start to get exciting, aggressive wrestling with consistent and objective officiating, there's no reason that this great sport can't be marketed and promoted successfully around the world.

IMO, Fila and the IOC have a "gold-mine" of opportunities if everything's done correctly. And like I said so many times already, I'd love to see the 10 weight classes back eventually, with a 300+ unlimited weight class. Why are the biggest and strongest men in the world excluded from international wrestling? Wouldn't it be great to see what "giant" each country comes up with every year? You don't think that would sell if marketed correctly?

The comparison was to boxing. I understand what you're saying, but you're not getting what I'm saying.

I was replying to the poster about why boxing had 10 and not wrestling. Well, boxing doesn't have "one handed boxing" and "two handed boxing" -- we have three disciplines in two different styles of wrestling with two genders.

Boxing has one ... in two genders.

A hand-to-hand exposure is still 1 point.

I'd rather have all turns worth 2 points and the 1 point bonus, than no 1 point bonus and 1 point hand-to-hand. In my meager Cadet/Junior FS career, I made a living on holding a high-gut for the full 5 count to get the bonus point and a chance to do it again. It seems that the changes to continuous turns and no bonus point obsolete the high-gut.

Granby Troll wrote,

I'd rather have all turns worth 2 points and the 1 point bonus, than no 1 point bonus and 1 point hand-to-hand. In my meager Cadet/Junior FS career, I made a living on holding a high-gut for the full 5 count to get the bonus point and a chance to do it again. It seems that the changes to continuous turns and no bonus point obsolete the high-gut.

1. The proponents of no-bonus pt argue, the purpose remains to turn and pin one's opponent. Holding him/her for 5 seconds promotes inactivity in their view and makes wrestling less dynamic. The viewing audience doesn't want to wait for the 5 count to end, they prefer to let wrestling continue.

2. As to the 1 pt for hand-to-hand: It's agreed, indeed it's simpler to score all turns as 2 pts; but, it diminishes the primary goal of the sport--determine the best wrestler. The proponents emphasize: It would be simpler if all dbl back, single twist vaults in gymnastics were scored 9.98. It would be simpler if all baskets in basketball were scored 2 pts. Yet everyone understands that the marginal difference in the perfection of the vault 9.98 vs 9.99 for example or the additional point for a basket shot from outside the 3 pt line requires more skill and differentiates among the competitors. Likewise they continue, a gut-wrench, cross-ankle turn or crotch-lift in wrestling where the opponent is forced across his/her back is executed better than one where the opponent goes hand-to-hand and not to recognize and reward the difference will promote sloppy wrestling.

1. The proponents of no-bonus pt argue, the purpose remains to turn and pin one's opponent. Holding him/her for 5 seconds promotes inactivity in their view and makes wrestling less dynamic. The viewing audience doesn't want to wait for the 5 count to end, they prefer to let wrestling continue.

2. As to the 1 pt for hand-to-hand: It's agreed, indeed it's simpler to score all turns as 2 pts; but, it diminishes the primary goal of the sport--determine the best wrestler. The proponents emphasize: It would be simpler if all dbl back, single twist vaults in gymnastics were scored 9.98. It would be simpler if all baskets in basketball were scored 2 pts. Yet everyone understands that the marginal difference in the perfection of the vault 9.98 vs 9.99 for example or the additional point for a basket shot from outside the 3 pt line requires more skill and differentiates among the competitors. Likewise they continue, a gut-wrench, cross-ankle turn or crotch-lift in wrestling where the opponent is forced across his/her back is executed better than one where the opponent goes hand-to-hand and not to recognize and reward the difference will promote sloppy wrestling.

SD,

Thanks for the reply. This forum beat you up a little bit this year over the whole "pass-behind" situation, but I'm glad to see you back and active.

Also, thanks for explaining the logic behind the changes. I dislike the elimination of the 1pt bonus as a fan and former wrestler; even though it's boring, I admire the skill behind executing and maintaining exposure for a 5 count. The 1pt hand-to-hand does give more prestige to a full 2pt exposure, but it's confusing and antithetical to the recent push of "Simpler = Better" as far as rules go.

Just slight nit-picking.

Granby Troll wrote,

1) i wouldnt call holding someone on their back against their will for an extended period of time inactive or less dynamic wrestling. just MHO.

2) the same degree of difficulty argument can be used to justify an infinite number of rule changes, including holding someone on their back for 5 seconds as opposed to 1 or less. the argument for rules simplicity is more persuasive in this instance. again, just MHO.

i'm with granbytroll on the rules here. the explanations sounds more like justifications than cogent arguments. appreciate the time spent iterating FILA's stance tho.

Boxing has 10 weight classes…. the one style answer made me say, duh… I know boxing has 1 style vs two for wrestling (plus women's freestyle, but there is also women's boxing with maybe 4 weight classes). Track has a dozen events… 100M 200M 400m 800m 1600 m etc.. plus hurdles, relays etc.. Marathon, steeple chase, walking etc… ugh. Gymnastics, has the team, the All-Around, plus individual events, all held as separate events. Plus Rythmic Gymnastics…. WTF? How do they do this? Why not include the individual gymnastic events medals based on individual performance during the team competition? Enough is enough… What I am saying is the argument of styles is b.s. because track, gymnastics, swimming all have different events/styles, plus team events or relays etc…

Wrestling has 3 events. Freestyle, Greco, Womens Freestyle… Why the ridiculous limit on weight classes…?

Wonder if we'll see Taghavi at this new weight. Would have been perfect for Ramazan Shahin. I bet Goudrazi would love a non-Burroughs weight class, but I doubt he could make 70 kg.

I wonder if any of the smaller 97's will try to drop to 86 kg.

Goudarzi is probably done wrestling. Too bad. Burroughs had his number, but he was a stud.