Sign in to follow this  
GranbyTroll

70kg weight class

My guess is that the goal is still Olympic Gold and these weights will be significantly weaker because of this.

i think most everybody is expecting that. i'm hoping FILA can somehow hold a world championships for those 2 weights during Olympic years to keep things consistent and still award 8 "world" medals a year, as if i'm understanding it correctly, every other tournament and FILA event EXCEPT the olympics will include those weights.

i would think the goal would be to make sure both those weights are full and competitive during the non olympic years to help bolster the case for getting olympic years back up to 8 classes.

Metcalf and Oliver will have to move to either 61 or 74 for Olympic years, so I could see one of them bumping up to 70kg to adjust to a heavier weight.

Also, everyone behind Burroughs who isn't named Howe will try to drop down to 70 to make the team for 2014.

Metcalf and Oliver will have to move to either 61 or 74 for Olympic years, so I could see one of them bumping up to 70kg to adjust to a heavier weight.

Also, everyone behind Burroughs who isn't named Howe will try to drop down to 70 to make the team for 2014.

I thought 65 was the olympic weight and 61 was for the world years only. I would think both Oliver and Metcalf stay at 65.

I thought 65 was the olympic weight and 61 was for the world years only. I would think both Oliver and Metcalf stay at 65.

My mistake. Then does this change only effect our plethora of 74kgers who could drop to 70 for this year?

I would honestly be shocked if either Dake or Taylor drop down to 70kg. That would represent an additional 9 lbs of weight cut from what they ALREADY cut to get to 163.

I just don't see either of them going this route...besides they both want to be the first to beat Burroughs anyway.

Dake weighs about 170 give or take a pound or two. He could definitely make 154 no problem with international weigh-in rules. But when has he ever shied away from competition? His goal is Olympic gold, and I see no way he moves down unless he doesn't make the 2016 team, which is not for a few years.

I think Taylor has a similar mind set, and for him, I do think the extra 9 lbs would make for a rough cut.

I think it'd benefit Dake because he would get that experience of going to a world championships and that could only benefit him. Worst case scenario, suppose that Dake and Burroughs (assuming they both make the team) win worlds leading up to the Olympics. Then what? Would be a very interesting OTT that year.

I don't see dropping to 70 in non Olympic years as running away. You drop down, make a world team gain that valuable experience you wouldn't otherwise have gotten by sitting at home or going as an alternate. Then in the Olympic year challenge for the spot.

I could probably see Taylor bumping down before anyone, but then again his height would make his presence amongst the likely shorter competition even more awkward. The lighter weight would definitely compliment his offense-heavy style.. so as long as he maintains that style. I think Dake's hyper-competitiveness will solidify him at 74kg. The recent one-handed win over Tsargush definitely helps with confidence.. as if Dake wasn't already brimming with it. Howe is probably staying at 74kg as well..

Which college guys would you all say are qualified to fill in these new weights?

I could probably see Taylor bumping down before anyone, but then again his height would make his presence amongst the likely shorter competition even more awkward. The lighter weight would definitely compliment his offense-heavy style.. so as long as he maintains that style. I think Dake's hyper-competitiveness will solidify him at 74kg. The recent one-handed win over Tsargush definitely helps with confidence.. as if Dake wasn't already brimming with it. Howe is probably staying at 74kg as well..

Which college guys would you all say are qualified to fill in these new weights?

Wonder what Tsargush weighs? He's got freakish strength but has a pretty slight build, he might like a fresh start at a new weight,

I wonder how set-in-stone these weights are now... 74 could be easily moved to 76 kg. Makes much more sense IMO, the current 70 to 74 to 86 kg jump is just bizarre.

Low 170s on a good day. Russians are not big weight cutters. He ain't going 70.

Will be interesting to see if Makhov comes back with an extra 11 pounds available to him. He and Gatsalov could be a good Russian final.

Dake is a machine. I see him at 70 and taking names.

I see Deron Winn at 86.

I don't see dropping to 70 in non Olympic years as running away. You drop down, make a world team gain that valuable experience you wouldn't otherwise have gotten by sitting at home or going as an alternate. Then in the Olympic year challenge for the spot.

This is my point. It's in Dake's best interest to make the World Team this year, and 70kg seems like his best shot. He gets to compete.

Hold a special wrestle off for non olympic weights after the world team is established for the non olympic weights. It eliminates any loss of ego for running from Burroughs etc., and allows for the best team to be put on display.

Hold a special wrestle off for non olympic weights after the world team is established for the non olympic weights. It eliminates any loss of ego for running from Burroughs etc., and allows for the best team to be put on display.

This is what they do for Women's weights, isn't it?

Dake had both hands against Tsargush and beat him. It was a great win. Then he lost to Gadzhiev and Aliev.

I think Canada will do this, Apparently the non Olympic weighs aren't getting any funding.