Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyThompsonnum1

Nevada

Has CKLV or Reno done much if anything to help grow the sport of wrestling in the state? It seems to me that Nevada is the only state in the country that has major wrestling events come to it quite often (has had freestyle/greco events as well) where wrestling itself just isn't very big. Good wrestlers have come out of Nevada, like for example Gray Maynard, but they're once in a blue moon.

As far as I know Nevada doesn't have any college wrestling either. I think that a few schools may have NCWA club teams, but as far as I know there is no varsity wrestling in Nevada.

I find Nevada unique in this way, because unlike the other non-wrestling states, it actually has quite a bit of wrestling that takes place within it.

They have a number of D1 wrestlers right now... off the top of my head Empey (Cal Poly), Tyler Tate (BSU), Joey Lavelle (Missouri), Aciente (Utah Valley????) - No college programs there but they are producing some good wrestlers of late.

Ray Waters (Arizona State, 165) also went to high school in Las Vegas (Spring Valley).

No, there aren't any varsity wrestling programs in Nevada. To be fair, however, there are actually very few postsecondary institutions in Nevada to begin with. The only four-year institutions in the entire state with varsity athletics of any stripe are Nevada-Las Vegas and Nevada-Reno, and the only two-year institutions in the state with varsity athletics are the College of Southern Nevada and Western Nevada College (and in both cases, the only sports they sponsor are baseball and softball!).

holding events in Nevada is about the tournament hosts and not about the sport

they aren't building fan bases locally

if they wanted to build fan bases they would host duals and promote them well

Obviously you didn't read any of the previous posts ....

Obviously you didn't read any of the previous posts ....

http://mwolverine.com/Top_Wrestling_States.html

Nevada has been averaging a different all-American evry five years for the past 50 years how is saddoris or any other guy proof of an upward trend

there is no boost to the talent level the talent in a lot of states has risen as fast or faster look at texas and Georgia despite having less exposure to events

Ray Waters (Arizona State, 165) also went to high school in Las Vegas (Spring Valley).

No, there aren't any varsity wrestling programs in Nevada. To be fair, however, there are actually very few postsecondary institutions in Nevada to begin with. The only four-year institutions in the entire state with varsity athletics of any stripe are Nevada-Las Vegas and Nevada-Reno, and the only two-year institutions in the state with varsity athletics are the College of Southern Nevada and Western Nevada College (and in both cases, the only sports they sponsor are baseball and softball!).

Ironically enough both Southern Nevada and Western Nevada College have NCWA teams.

CKLV and Reno are for profit business ventures that are based outside of Nevada. They dont have a dog in the fight. Both do other things in their own states to help build and improve the sport of wrestling. If someone were to help grow the sport in the state of Nevada, it would be done by people at the grass roots level that have vested interest in the state of Nevada. CKLV and RTOC use Nevada because of cheap flights, cheap accommodations, and entertainment value.

They dont owe the state of Nevada anything. As wrestlers, we really need to stop looking to daddy bigbucks for a lifeline and roll up our sleeves at the ground level and do it ourselves. Complaining that NIKE and CKLV arent giving away money, time, and effort to do what fans and alumni wont is a pathetic strategy.

Ironically enough both Southern Nevada and Western Nevada College have NCWA teams.

Southern Nevada no longer has a team, and I was never aware of Western having one, and they arent listed here....

http://www.ncwa.net/teams?state=true

Southern Nevada no longer has a team, and I was never aware of Western having one, and they arent listed here....

http://www.ncwa.net/teams?state=true

That sucks about Southern Nevada. I wasn't aware of that. It seems like it wasn't that long ago that I was reading something regarding coach Steve Hart, but it must have been longer ago than I thought. I liked Hart's attitude and enthusiasm. It's a shame that it didnt' work out.

as far Western Nevada, I was thinking that they did have a club team. I was wrong.

FYI Philly to Circus circus in LV with air and car 3/12-3/16 $ 499. Circus inReno $785

Philly to St. Louis 3 star hotel car $584

Philly to Northwestern for Midlands stay in Rosemont near Ohare 12/27-12/30 $700

This was a quick search. Based on total package in addition to wrestling, I can't for the life of me get why folks choose other than Las Vegas. I live in DE about 100 miles from Philly so we would be staying over. Cost about $480 for 3 star, 3 nights. Choosing LV is what is known as a no brainer. The NCAA is known as brain less. Similar but not the same.

The NCAA will never host a championship in any sport due to legalized gambling on college sports in that state. They've made it clear. And I would never (again) stay at Circus Circus ... I stayed there last year and it was a pile of crap.

Ask for Vegas all you want (for any NCAA championship) ... it won't happen.

The NCAA will never host a championship in any sport due to legalized gambling on college sports in that state. They've made it clear. And I would never (again) stay at Circus Circus ... I stayed there last year and it was a pile of crap.

Ask for Vegas all you want (for any NCAA championship) ... it won't happen.

^^ what he said