• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 gg121and2

gg121and2

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:48 AM

I might be one of the very few people to see Randy Lewis wrestle live 30 years apart. His "comeback" a couple of years ago in Waterloo is one of my treasured wrestling moments. All competition stopped when he wrestled and everyone gathered around from the youngest competitors to Lincoln McIlravy. At some point in his second match the gentleman standing next to me said, "He doesn't shoot much anymore." My reply - "He never did."

Then when Moza Fay teched him - the respect that Moza - and then the crowd - showed him gave me goose bumps.

#2 gg121and2

gg121and2

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

His Gold Medal match - no ball draw here.

#3 gg121and2

gg121and2

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 616 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

Lewboo vs Burley

#4 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:03 AM

I was there when Lewboo broke the national high school consecutive pin record. It was a pretty big deal. It was a frosty freezin snowy night in Rapid City, SD.
His teammates hoisted him by the shoulders off the mat....pretty cool.
I was in the stands...just a frosh at the time.

Can't even remember who he stuck, and I'll guess it was probably a cradle (happened in 1976 so my memory wanes). He was pretty pumped, as you can imagine.

Our team was pretty tough and twice consecutive state champs at the time.

#5 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 04:24 AM

So you all know that the Great One is getting married, don't you?

That's the biggest upset since Caldwell over Metcalf.

8-)

Congrats, Randy!

#6 fatoldlion

fatoldlion
  • Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:52 PM

... el&list=UL

Ricky Dellagatta v. Randy Lewis in the 62 kg final of the 1984 Final Olympic Qualifier in Iowa City.

Final score 20-10 Dellagatta.

Lewboo defaulted the next match.

The rest is history!

#7 JasonBryant

JasonBryant

I love the Goonies.

• Members
  • 8,778 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 01:38 PM

Everybody loves Lewboo stories!

Don't work here no more. Happy now?

www.mattalkonline.com

#8 jstock

jstock

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 05:28 AM

Lewboo stories are great as well as stories from other very accomplished wrestlers. The shame is that fans of the sport seem to drive these guys away from the forum with stupid comments. Could you imagine the posts that would be written if Cael, Brands, JRob, JSmith and many others would have to read if they posted on this forum? It's just a damn shame because we could learn so much from them.

#9 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

I like this story....I copied and pasted it from another site...

Here's one told by Randy from a while back:

In my senior year in Dec. of 1980 we wrestled a dual meet against Syracuse, Gene Mills was a returning NCAA champion and had already won Tibilisi and made an Olympic team. He was up against Mark Trizzino at 126 pounds. I was the next wrestler up for us at 134 pounds. Gable and J. were getting Trizzino ready to wrestle Mills, and Trizzino was up for the challenge. In the first 5 seconds, Trizzino double legs Mills and picks him and gets the takedown. He then looked over at our corner, and gives J. and Gable a wink and a thumbs up!!! Our whole team saw it, and I started giggling. Mills immediately reversed Trizzino, and then kept tilting Trizzino, and ended up on top for most of the rest of the match. Mills ended up winning 27-3. As a downtrodden Trizzino shook hands and started walking off the mat with his head down, I was just coming out on the mat for the next match. Right as Trizzino was ready to pass by me, I leaped in front of him and he looked up. I looked right in his eyes, winked and gave him the thumbs up. I was still laughing as my match started.

#10 pawrestler

pawrestler

Bronze Member

• Members
  • 399 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

I like this story....I copied and pasted it from another site...

Here's one told by Randy from a while back:

In my senior year in Dec. of 1980 we wrestled a dual meet against Syracuse, Gene Mills was a returning NCAA champion and had already won Tibilisi and made an Olympic team. He was up against Mark Trizzino at 126 pounds. I was the next wrestler up for us at 134 pounds. Gable and J. were getting Trizzino ready to wrestle Mills, and Trizzino was up for the challenge. In the first 5 seconds, Trizzino double legs Mills and picks him and gets the takedown. He then looked over at our corner, and gives J. and Gable a wink and a thumbs up!!! Our whole team saw it, and I started giggling. Mills immediately reversed Trizzino, and then kept tilting Trizzino, and ended up on top for most of the rest of the match. Mills ended up winning 27-3. As a downtrodden Trizzino shook hands and started walking off the mat with his head down, I was just coming out on the mat for the next match. Right as Trizzino was ready to pass by me, I leaped in front of him and he looked up. I looked right in his eyes, winked and gave him the thumbs up. I was still laughing as my match started.

Laughing so hard at this story!

#11 Matburn155

Matburn155

Silver Member

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

Hahahaha Epic!

#12 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 08:29 AM

Lewboo comes from a highly athletic pedigree. His little sis was a state champion gymnast ( recorded a 9.5 on the vault once) and actually won several events if not the all-around. His big brother is one heckuva golfer, and very quick witted.

Randy's dad was state champ in the pole vault some years back, and an avid tennis player. These 2 stories are about Larry Lewis....

So I come by Lewis' house in the summer when Randy was home- he was always at Iowa for the most part- to work out with him, since I summered in Rapid City lifeguarding and chasing around, taking it easy from the U of Wisconsin wrestling program grind. Now mind you, I'm in the prime of my life too, and about as strong as I'll ever be. Larry and I are walking near his house on the golf course, and out of the blue he challenges me to a footrace of about 60 yards....I chuckle and say " ok"... we get going and about at 30 yards he pulls away- he's about 44 years old at the time.
At first I as pretty embarrassed, but then I recalled to mind that a state champion pole vaulter has to be a speed demon of sorts, so I had to brush it off.

Another day Larry jukes me again...this time a weight curling contest. I'm about as jacked as a 142 lber not named Scott Trizzino can be..so again I find great humor in this.. the bar has about 80 lbs and I'm to go first, since I'm youngest. Well, I rip off a decent number...can't really remember, maybe 20 and set it down confidently, knowing that Larry is in over his head.

Larry Lewis is a very strong-minded individual, however. He had the next rep number in his head and willed himself to best me by about 5 reps. While Larry was laughing, I was speechless.

Randy has written about it before how his Dad influenced him mentally....and its pretty amazing how such positive thinking will win the day.
  • xander likes this

#13 BigApple

BigApple

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

I'd heard the Trizzinovstory, but not the Larry Lewis stories. Thanks.

#14 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Geeze Warren!

#15 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Glad you liked it.

Its embarrassing to get schooled by a 40 something when you are in the prime of your life.

Maybe 40 something IS the prime of one's life? or I'm that slow. or Larry was that fast. or some of both.

#16 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:30 AM

Glad you liked it.

Its embarrassing to get schooled by a 40 something when you are in the prime of your life.

Maybe 40 something IS the prime of one's life? or I'm that slow. or Larry was that fast. or some of both.

#17 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I hope to brush up on my remedial reading, Warren. Again my apologies!
( see inbox)
Steve

#18 BigApple

BigApple

Gold Member

• Members
  • 5,980 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:04 AM

When i type on my Ipad i have to remenber to stop after each word or they run together. I always enjoy your posts.

#19 BadgerMon

BadgerMon

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,068 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

I found this blog to be a good read:

http://wrestlingforgable.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users