Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

When THEY talk about "GREATs"

When they talk about GREATS many forget about Carl Adams- when I talk about GREATs he is one of the first that comes to mind.Watched him in High School and remember many of his achievements as a wrestler. 2X NCAA Champ/ 3X USA FS Champ and named by Sports Illustrated as the " Middle weight of the Decade".He wrestled in a time that IMO this was forgotten- when things were just ROUGH- competition was DEEP- and wrestling talent was INCREDIBLE . A time forgotten and an arena many have NEVER seen.

Tip my hat to Mr Carl Adams !!!

Without a doubt, Carl Adams was a beast and I remember him well, having been at ISU for his jr and sr years.

Adams was an ncaa champ his last two years. Though not placing as a soph, he won the Big 8, beating the ncaa champ Mike Grant in B8 finals, and was 5th as fr.

ISU had some real talent then, and I enjoyed seeing not just Adams, but his teammates Phil Parker, Ben Peterson, Chris Taylor, Pete Galea, Rich Binek, and others. Pete Galea used a cradle more than anyone else back then. Galea once pinned Chuck Yagla, the guy who defeated Lee Kemp in OT, preventing Kemp from being the first 4 time champ. ISU's Kelly Ward lost to Kemp 10-8 in ncaa finals Kemp's sr year.

Here's a trivia question for you LiMarty:

Even though he won the 158# ncaa title as a jr, Adams did suffer a loss in a dual meet that year, getting pinned.

Any idea who pulled that off? (hint: the guy was a real thorn in ISU's side)

I posted on Carl Adams match w Stan Dziedzic at the 1972 NCAA championships in the recent thread on Legendary Matchups. Here is the post:

Going back further - Stan Dziedzic and Carl Adams at 158 in 1972. Both defending champs. Contrasting styles - Adams explosive on his feet and Dziedzic a hammer on the mat. Dziedzic was generally favored as he was really pounding people with big scores. In the actual match Adams had two takedowns and the pivotal moment was the whistle to start the period when he was on bottom (pretty sure the second) as it was thought that once he broke you down you were in trouble. But Adams did a sit out and escaped immediately and that was it. Adams got a third takedown at the buzzer on a desperation shot. I think the final was 7-3. Then Stan beat Carl for the Olympic team ultimately. Two all-time greats.

^^^I think Larry Owings went up two weights and beat Carl Adams in a dual meet. Anyway, Galea had an incredible cradle set-up. From top position, he'd reach back and pull up opponents' far ankle and opponent would react by starting to stand out with near leg and zap, Galea would throw a cradle. Called the Galea Cradle. That's the best I can describe it and defer to someone with better description of it.

When I answered Schalles I didn't think it fit the point about Iowa St. - of course that makes sense. But I do believe that Wade Schalles pinned Carl Adams in a college match. Our high school coach also teaches picking up the near ankle and then cradling when he steps up on the outside leg.

Carl Adams was a great, but the match i'll always remember is true freshman Jeff Callard beating him solidly in the Big 8 finals handily. Callard was riding with a few seconds left waving to the crowd in Gallagher Hall. Two weeks later Adams wins his secind title, Callard doesn't AA.

^^^luchador&daler, Got it - lift opponent's ankle and he step out/up with other leg and then throw cradle. I recall that Schalles, Dziedzic and Adams used to go at it in freestyle and all three were excellent. I watched Schalles and Dziedzic wrestle a lot of college matches against a lot of opponents - but off the top of my beetle brain, I think Schalles and Adams wrestled each other in freestyle.

Just a note, we PSAC fans thought Dziedzic was going to go 150 at the 1972 NCAA's - he wasn't a big 158 pounder and had a bit of a "go" with Clarion's Les Bressler that season in the PSAC finals at 158. We were suprised when we got to the NCAA's that year at Maryland, got brackets, and saw Dziedzic listed at 158. We then thought the PSAC's had a shot at winning both 150 and 158, but Carl Adams wrestled fabulously in the 158-pound finals that year. I can only recall Dziedzic losing two bouts his Slippery Rock career - one his soph year at the NCAA's (semi finals I think) and then his senior year in the NCAA finals. I think Stan went NCAA third, first and second. Fred Powll did a good job coaching Dziedzic in college at SRU. Powell might have coached Dziedzic a bit out at Indiana State, before Dziedzic transferred to SRU. Good years for the PSAC's.

When I was first learning to wrestle, I came across the Carl Adams Instructional VHS tapes from the 80's...man, I must have watched those things a thousand times.

I have seen Carl as an instructor several times in the last 20 years, and I have to say that in addition to being a great competitor, he is an equally skilled teacher/clinician.

When I answered Schalles I didn't think it fit the point about Iowa St. - of course that makes sense. But I do believe that Wade Schalles pinned Carl Adams in a college match. Our high school coach also teaches picking up the near ankle and then cradling when he steps up on the outside leg.

------

daler, Stovepipe was correct, it was Larry Owings. He was wrestling up two weight classes at 158# and pinned Adams. Adams went on to finish as ncaa champ that season and Owings was back at 142#, finishing 2nd to Darrell Keller of Okla St by 16-12.

ISU had another stud try to best Owings, when their 134#er Phil Parker bumped up to 142# to take on Owings, but lost a close decision. I think ISU was 0-3 vs Owings (Gable got his revenge during Olympic trials '72).

"...I can only recall Dziedzic losing two bouts his Slippery Rock career - one his soph year at the NCAA's (semi finals I think) and then his senior year in the NCAA finals..."

I believe there was a Dziedzic from Slippery Rock who took third at 160 lbs in the 1968 frosh Plebe Tourney, losing only in the semis to a Brown wrestler (who then took the championship over Harvard's Faller). Not Stan?

When they talk about GREATS many forget about Carl Adams- when I talk about GREATs he is one of the first that comes to mind.Watched him in High School and remember many of his achievements as a wrestler. 2X NCAA Champ/ 3X USA FS Champ and named by Sports Illustrated as the " Middle weight of the Decade".He wrestled in a time that IMO this was forgotten- when things were just ROUGH- competition was DEEP- and wrestling talent was INCREDIBLE . A time forgotten and an arena many have NEVER seen.

Tip my hat to Mr Carl Adams !!!

I have to agree....but as great as he was, Carl Adams really came into his own as a senior in high school, when he won state. Prior to that Adams did not place in state as a sophomore and junior and their was another athlete, Craig Scholl from neighboring Lindenhurst high school that was at least as good. In fact the two of these great warriors each won 2 out of 4 matches against each other, except Adams always won the more important match ups. Unfortunately for Scholl he had a debilitating shoulder injury he was never able to fully overcome.

^^^I didn't mean to get this sidetracked onto Stan Dziedzic, but when I noted Stan only had two loses during his Slippery Rock days, that would be 117-2 for the three seasons (1970, 1971, 1972) that he was eligible to compete for Slippery Rock. As I recall, Dziedzic initially enrolled in college out at Indiana State (Terre Haute) and I never saw him wreste when he was out at Indiana State or compete prior to the 1970 season. I just meant those three Slippery Rock varsity season.

Also, we had mentioned that Stan dropped the 7-4 (?) decision to Carl Adams in the 1972 NCAA's at the Univ of Maryland. I think the East-West All-Star matchwas held a week after the 1972 NCAA Tournament and, as I recall, Dziedzic and Carl Adams met again, that time with Dziedzic edging Adams 2-1.

Dziedzic, Adams and Schalles all were fabulous folkstyle and freestyle competitors.

^^^Yeah, I remember Ventimiglia wrestling for Lock Haven. Another Island Trees guy who wrestled for Lock Haven was an excellent lower weight wrestler was Donnie Fay. Another Long Island good college grappler was Paul Brodmerkle, who started for LHU early 1970's. One of my favorite Long Islanders was NCAA champ Ken Melchior, who won the NCAA's at 118 back in 1968. I think Kenny was the onlyest wrestler from an east college to win the NCAA's that year. Back then Lock Haven used to recruit out of Long Island.

I think Carl Adams squeeked out a victory against his Nassau Co. opponnent...Gary Ventimaglia ...5-4 (??)

Long Island was just RIDICULOUSLY talented.

I'm pretty sure the score was 5-1.

Stovepipe - Not to nitpick you but when Ken Melchior won the nationals it was at 115. And yes Island Trees had some great wrestlers in that era and into the late 70's. We at Farmingdale had some truly epic duals with them and also the North Shore tournament was several times decided by a point or two. Both teams had a great tradition, great coaches, and great individuals, several of whom from Farmingdale went on to substantial DI success. Island Trees coach, Ted Peterson, who was much revered, passed away from Lou Gehrig's disease and Farmingdale coach Irv Apgar is in the Long Island chapter of the Hall of Fame.

Coach Paul Gillespie , when asked " Who was the best wrestler(s) you have Coached and Who do you think was the best wrestler you've seen in Nassau County".

Best he Coached: Al Palacio and Jon Masa

Best in Nassau Co,: Michael Macchia/ Island Trees.

Some wrestlers CONTINUE to raise their ability with maturity...Adams, McCoy, Gadson, Edmunds , Dake etc. etc. Good- to Very Good. IMO- very good HS wrestlers ,even better when they got to College and beyond.