Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

When THEY talk about "GREATs"

I had one of Carl Adams' books....helped me IMMENSELY with my stance.

When I was first learning to wrestle, I came across the Carl Adams Instructional VHS tapes from the 80's...man, I must have watched those things a thousand times.

I have seen Carl as an instructor several times in the last 20 years, and I have to say that in addition to being a great competitor, he is an equally skilled teacher/clinician.

Badger ,

Growing up on Long Island in Suffolk Co. early '70s- Brentwood HS was also, known as Brentwood University -Graduating classes were well over 3000. All Sports in general...during this period you had INCREDIBLE Talent just from this one school- Many athletes "street tough" never making it to College. Truly, some of the BEST High School athletes that I have ever seen or been associated with. Brentwood mid '70s was broken up into two different schools -Ross/Sonderling.

JMO- You get white-black and hispanic kids all in ONE Wrestling Room- and watch how the competition percolates. This was typical of the Brentwood HS Wrestling Room.

HOW tough was Suffolk County sectional you ask?

1979 National Freestyle Jr. Champ Rudy Isom never made it to the NY State Tournament , as he had future NCAA champ Chris Edmonds (Tennessee) and his finals opponent Pete Capone ( Hofstra) blocking him.

Rudy was no fluke....he was 2nd in the Eastern Nationals as a senior in high school - to Louie Chiaparelli and also AA'd once in college. He won over 40 matches one year at UW-Madison.

Rudy hailed from North Babylon.

Badger ,

Growing up on Long Island in Suffolk Co. early '70s- Brentwood HS was also, known as Brentwood University -Graduating classes were well over 3000. All Sports in general...during this period you had INCREDIBLE Talent just from this one school- Many athletes "street tough" never making it to College. Truly, some of the BEST High School athletes that I have ever seen or been associated with. Brentwood mid '70s was broken up into two different schools -Ross/Sonderling.

JMO- You get white-black and hispanic kids all in ONE Wrestling Room- and watch how the competition percolates. This was typical of the Brentwood HS Wrestling Room.

and to think if, you just mix in a little Nassau Co- which is anywhere from 10 mins- to 30 mins west...You had guys named Destefanis - Palacio- Hunte- and so on.

I played Football against Bobby Isom/ North Babylon

Cool.

Rudy stuck Kenny Monday to win the Jr. Nationals that year.

He also defeated NCAA runnerup Mark Schmitz along the way.

I think Bobby is a relative? Have to ask Rudy now.

and to think if, you just mix in a little Nassau Co- which is anywhere from 10 mins- to 30 mins west...You had guys named Destefanis - Palacio- Hunte- and so on.

I played Football against Bobby Isom/ North Babylon