Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

When THEY talk about "GREATs"

Lay off Marty. Did he say DT wouldn't be a good college wrestler? Yes. Did he promise to stop posting? Yes. But who really wants him to leave? He brings a little drama to the board and he backs his region like no other. You sound like a bunch of children.

Lay off Marty. Did he say DT wouldn't be a good college wrestler? Yes. Did he promise to stop posting? Yes. But who really wants him to leave? He brings a little drama to the board and he backs his region like no other. You sound like a bunch of children.

I don't know if anyone can stop these noble crusaders.

Stove_Pipe wrote,

"I recall that Schalles, Dziedzic and Adams used to go at it in freestyle and all three were excellent. I watched Schalles and Dziedzic wrestle a lot of college matches against a lot of opponents - but off the top of my beetle brain, I think Schalles and Adams wrestled each other in freestyle."

Below is an excerpt from a book I wrote that may help sort out the [Adams, Schalles, Dziedzic] record. I'm fairly certain Wade never beat Carl.

................................As I mulled over what to do, I remembered a similar circumstance before the 1976 Olympic trials.

Sports Illustrated ran a story by Herman Weiskopf entitled, “Working His Way Up from the Bottom.” In the article Weiskopf ordained Wade Schalles, one of my opponents, to make the Olympic team as “the United States’ best hope for a wrestling gold medal at the Montreal Olympics.” Though I viewed Carl Adams a tougher opponent, Schalles was certainly a formidable foe. Schalles held the NCAA record for the most pins and had just won the prestigious Tbilisi tournament in the Soviet Republic of Georgia. His style of wrestling was remarkably unique. It required his opponents to be keenly prepared. In retrospect, this is something I appreciate.

In his story, Weiskopf conceded that Schalles needed to “outwrestle Carl Adams, two time NCAA Champion and Stan Dziedzic, an NCAA titlist” to make the team and stated “Schalles has split 14 bouts with Dziedzic.” Shortly before the edition went to press, Sports Illustrated, as practice requires, called to confirm the accuracy of the text.

The more Weiskopf described the content, the more agitated I became. The U.S. team most likely would have a returning Olympic champion, Ben Peterson, a world champion, Lloyd Keaser, and an Olympic silver medalist, John Peterson; yet Sports Illustrated’s self-anointed experts were going to decree that Schalles, who had never made a world or Olympic team, was “the United States’ best hope for a gold medal.”

When Weiskopf turned to verifying the content, he said, “Schalles claimed the two of you have split evenly in fourteen matches.”

I said, “You may want to check the record; that’s not correct.”

He responded, “Sports Illustrated would proceed and run the story as is.”

“Go ahead,” I said. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Why?”

“Because Schalles isn’t going to make the team,” I stated emphatically, and hung up.

Now as I approached retirement, I felt that same compulsion to speak out, but for completely different reasons. In 1976, I didn’t care if Sports Illustrated ran the story. I just wanted the satisfaction of telling Weiskopf, “I told you so.” This time, in contrast, I wanted Lehman’s senior executives to take action and address the problem. Yet more important, I wanted to avoid saying, “I told you so.”

I posted earlier about having this memory that Schalles had pinned Adams. I remember reading in AWN that Adams had been pinned and being surprised. It appears it was the Owings pin I was recalling. I have had it confirmed directly that Adams was 2-0 lifetime against Schalles.

Jerry Garcia got it right when he said "what a strange trip it has been"....lol. Im done defending myself about a "bet" on a Wrestling Forum...lol.

I will always support OBJECTIVITY and I will always point out BIAS and SUBJECTIVITY. So, please get over the assumption that I will "honor" any bet that I made on this Board. THERE IS NO HONOR IN POSTING ON A FORUM....too funny !!! Then again , when all of you expose your real names and all of you do your own personal inventory- as I have done for countless years on Wrestling Forums...too funny!!!!.

Lets keep to the topic....GREATs.

Jerry Garcia got it right when he said "what a strange trip it has been"....lol. Im done defending myself about a "bet" on a Wrestling Forum...lol.

I will always support OBJECTIVITY and I will always point out BIAS and SUBJECTIVITY. So, please get over the assumption that I will "honor" any bet that I made on this Board. THERE IS NO HONOR IN POSTING ON A FORUM....too funny !!! Then again , when all of you expose your real names and all of you do your own personal inventory- as I have done for countless years on Wrestling Forums...too funny!!!!.

The honor is not in posting on a forum, but rather in honoring a bet and your word. Do you really need such simple concepts explained to you?

Oh no, I got caught bullying poor marty. I promise never to do it again. Unless promises on a message board are exempt from the "keep your word" rule. I do feel safe knowing someone is watching the boards to call out subjective statements at every turn. Perhaps I will show this to my psych class as a case study in mental illness.

Ironic would be a good way to describe that statement you just made.

There is IRONY when an OBJECTIVE overview that in the last two years in an All Star match between NJ/NY - NY came away with wins- and - ranked NJ wrestlers were beaten by wrestlers who have never even been mentioned on any Rankings sheet. The SUBJECTIVITY comes when cretons just matter a factly suggest that New Jersey is a better wrestling State. I just say at WHAT WEIGHT and can you give me a name ?? Same goes for D.T vs K.D.....Dake was an underling out of High School and got lucky winning his first NCAA Title...?? LMFAO....more IRONY that he is going for his fourth NCAA Title..lol...He did beat Taylor didnt he ???

Funny, Cornell will have 4 NYS wrestlers in starting rolls- and NJ's Rutgers seems to like New York wrestlers too- add a few at Edinboro.....Buffalo/ Hofstra/ seem to be NY Top heavy. So, I see no IRONY....just being OBJECTIVE.

Lastly, about honoring a POST- and the frame work around a posted bet....If, the Queen had balls she'd be King. If, I was so inclined to make a posted bet as I did....again, then dont read my posts and /or post on them. That is the real IRONY that the NJ clowns continue to post....lol.

I definitely have bias toward NYS wrestlers and the yearly dismissal of them in Rankings. NO DOUBT!!!. Though, I remain OBJECTIVE. David Taylor fans seem to want him to wrestle Dake...every week until he beats him. :roll:

Kyle Dake can and should win his fourth NCAA Title...yet, he canT even be in the same conversation with THE BEST EVER High School wrestlers from New York State. Is that SUBJECTIVE or OBJECTIVE ???

There is IRONY when an OBJECTIVE overview that in the last two years in an All Star match between NJ/NY - NY came away with wins- and - ranked NJ wrestlers were beaten by wrestlers who have never even been mentioned on any Rankings sheet. The SUBJECTIVITY comes when cretons just matter a factly suggest that New Jersey is a better wrestling State. I just say at WHAT WEIGHT and can you give me a name ?? Same goes for D.T vs K.D.....Dake was an underling out of High School and got lucky winning his first NCAA Title...?? LMFAO....more IRONY that he is going for his fourth NCAA Title..lol...He did beat Taylor didnt he ???

Funny, Cornell will have 4 NYS wrestlers in starting rolls- and NJ's Rutgers seems to like New York wrestlers too- add a few at Edinboro.....Buffalo/ Hofstra/ seem to be NY Top heavy. So, I see no IRONY....just being OBJECTIVE.

Lastly, about honoring a POST- and the frame work around a posted bet....If, the Queen had balls she'd be King. If, I was so inclined to make a posted bet as I did....again, then dont read my posts and /or post on them. That is the real IRONY that the NJ clowns continue to post....lol.

Link? Names?

Examples of unranked NY wrestlers beating ranked NJ wrestlers would be nice. Not to mention objective.

All those NY wrestlers were ranked in the state.

You said unranked NY wrestlers who never sniffed a ranking sheet beating ranked NJ wrestlers.

Piccininni beat Buttita, not ranked in the nation.

Zupan is ranked #10 in the country......Lol

Locke, the guy who went 51-0 last season in NY and was the number 1 guy at his weight?

This proves unranked NY wrestlers beat ranked NJ wrestlers?

I am eagerly awaiting some more of this objective analysis.

I will ask it in the form of a Question...On National Ranking's sheet were those wrestlers ranked above some New Jersey wrestlers and /or were they even Honorable mentions Nationally ???

See IMO- I dont think you will find 20 kids in the USA / in Folkstyle to beat these wrestlers. This is a yearly event. So, to think wrestlers who beccome NCAA Champs /AAs from New York State seem to get less ink. This is OBJECTIVE.....The SUBJECTIVITY comes from not wrestling head to heads.

this is my point.

In other words, you were talking out of your ass again. You claim the NYS kids weren't ranked, and were beating ranked NJ kids. You're given the facts, that you were overstating it again, and you change the direction. Deflection, my man. That's all you know.

Perhaps if you weren't so overbearing, and gave credit as easily as criticism, you'd be taken more seriously. That NJ team was very young, right down to a middle school kid wrestling a NYS state champ. Not to take away from the NY team, they performed well and deserved to win. How many of those NY kids will be back this year? I'm guessing the majority of the NJ kids will be back, and perhaps they'll practice a little to stay in shape prior to the event. I'd like to see NJ get Ashnault, Miller, Clagon all in the lineup this year.