Sign in to follow this  
LImartin

When THEY talk about "GREATs"

side note: How productive Brentwood , HS was in the late 60s/ early 70s. Adams, Galea, Antonacci all going to Iowa St.

Don’t forget Ray Miro who wrestled for the University of Rhode Island. Ray went on to have a distinguished coaching career. He is referred to as “cradleman.”

Don’t forget Ray Miro who wrestled for the University of Rhode Island. Ray went on to have a distinguished coaching career. He is referred to as “cradleman.”

Look at the date of the message you responded to.

Wonder what Llmartin is up too? I think he was perma-banned a long, long time ago.

Edited by TobusRex

Carl Adams was my college coach at Boston U.  He is one of the most stand-up and genuine humans I have ever met, not to mention being able to bruise you with an arm drag or knock you dizzy with a snap down to this day.  I should send him the first couple pages of this thread, he would be tickled by it.  His stories of putting it down on Gable for a minute in practice, and then crawling with his fingernails while Gable was pulling him backwards by his foot for a half hour beatdown on top were hilarious.  If I remember correctly, he was 5th in the world on a blow out knee before having to hang em up after some surgeries.  Truly unreal athlete, who went from one of the scariest dudes you could come across, to the most friendly warm-hearted dude imaginable somewhere around the time he had kids.  His son Tony just signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming season.

Carl Adams was my college coach at Boston U.  He is one of the most stand-up and genuine humans I have ever met, not to mention being able to bruise you with an arm drag or knock you dizzy with a snap down to this day.  I should send him the first couple pages of this thread, he would be tickled by it.  His stories of putting it down on Gable for a minute in practice, and then crawling with his fingernails while Gable was pulling him backwards by his foot for a half hour beatdown on top were hilarious.  If I remember correctly, he was 5th in the world on a blow out knee before having to hang em up after some surgeries.  Truly unreal athlete, who went from one of the scariest dudes you could come across, to the most friendly warm-hearted dude imaginable somewhere around the time he had kids.  His son Tony just signed with the Jacksonville Jaguars this upcoming season.

unfortunately, Tony failed his physical and has yet to officially sign a contract

HOW tough was Suffolk County sectional you ask?

1979 National Freestyle Jr. Champ Rudy Isom never made it to the NY State Tournament , as he had future NCAA champ Chris Edmonds (Tennessee) and his finals opponent Pete Capone ( Hofstra) blocking him.

Rudy was no fluke....he was 2nd in the Eastern Nationals as a senior in high school - to Louie Chiaparelli and also AA'd once in college. He won over 40 matches one year at UW-Madison.

Rudy hailed from North Babylon.

Actually, Rudy was defeated by Rick Nardelli from Huntington in the Sectionals and did not get a chance to wrestle Edmonds or Capone at State. Rudy was a great friend through HS and behind. Haven't seen him since I moved to Florida. John Iannuzzi, Rudy Isom, and myself were 1979 Jr. National finalist and trained in the Fifth Avenue wrestling room with Jumper Leggio.

Actually, Rudy was defeated by Rick Nardelli from Huntington in the Sectionals and did not get a chance to wrestle Edmonds or Capone at State. Rudy was a great friend through HS and behind. Haven't seen him since I moved to Florida. John Iannuzzi, Rudy Isom, and myself were 1979 Jr. National finalist and trained in the Fifth Avenue wrestling room with Jumper Leggio.

"Snuzzi" was undoubtedly the largest and strongest 126 lber (lifting-wise, at least) that I've ever seen.