Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Penn State 24 Iowa 12

Penn State wins 7 of 10 matches. When is the last time Iowa lost by 12 or more at Carver? Are Hawk fans starting to think of Brands as Zalesky II? Will Iowa's two top rated recruiting classes ever be able to compete at a high level? How long will Gonzo and MSU be in hiding? Does Vak know the dual didn't end at 133? Inquiring minds want to know.

Some of the regular bashers over over in the Gulibon thread. I guess you take what you are given, and that's about it for them right now. :)

Good win for Penn State. It's funny, although I was entertained by the dual, I can't say that I was impressed with a single wrestler from either team. Well, Retherford was okay after the slow start.

Nope, not impressed. Taylor just majors a kid who stalls the whole match. And Ruth only major the number 2 kid in the country that weight. Not impressive.

Good win for Penn State. It's funny, although I was entertained by the dual, I can't say that I was impressed with a single wrestler from either team. Well, Retherford was okay after the slow start.

Nope, not impressed. Taylor just majors a kid who stalls the whole match. And Ruth only major the number 2 kid in the country that weight. Not impressive.

It isn't really considering what Taylor and Ruth want to accomplish in the future. Those guys are graded on a higher scale. Ruth looked sloppy on numerous finishes to his Tds. Taylor looked bad in the ties, Moore was able to slow him down with mid level technique. If Taylor and Ruth compete the way they did tonight at the trials, they'll be sitting home watching the Worlds online with the rest of us.

MJK I didn't count the "Takedowns" so maybe the doctor is looking at video...Merry Christmas to all the folks on The PSU "Train"...I'm sure Pitt and The OSU don't feel so bad now...

P.S. Where is that Br guy...???

Penn State wins 7 of 10 matches. When is the last time Iowa lost by 12 or more at Carver? How long will Gonzo and MSU be in hiding? Does Vak know the dual didn't end at 133? Inquiring minds want to know.

You must be related to Mike Evans. He's never impressed with anyone either. :D

It appeared as if Taylor did not have a sense urgency to pick up backs.

A major was/is nice against the 4th ranked wrestler (?) in the country. But in order to get a 5 point tech or a pin, he has to turn him (despite Moore grabbing and holding his hands on bottom - yet no raised fist in the air from the ref. What would Brands have done if Volrath tried that? Actually bad reference. The Iowa staff would have been telling DSJ it was fine, to keep his hands there and ride him with a 6 point lead that would be 7 with the riding point - they do realize that they can use their fingers to count and not just the balled-up knarled hands of the coaches sitting in chairs to figure out what they needed for the major :D )

Evans didn't really give Brown a match. Brown looked like he was a tier above Evans tonight.

Evans didn't really give Brown a match. Brown looked like he was a tier above Evans tonight.

Brown is a better wrestler than he was last year. No one really wanted to believe that, but it is true.

It appeared as if Taylor did not have a sense urgency to pick up backs.

A major was/is nice against the 4th ranked wrestler (?) in the country. But in order to get a 5 point tech or a pin, he has to turn him (despite Moore grabbing and holding his hands on bottom - yet no raised fist in the air from the ref. What would Brands have done if Volrath tried that? Actually bad reference. The Iowa staff would have been telling DSJ it was fine, to keep his hands there and ride him with a 6 point lead that would be 7 with the riding point - they do realize that they can use their fingers to count and not just the balled-up knarled hands of the coaches sitting in chairs to figure out what they needed for the major :D )

Moore really should of been hit with stalling 3-4 more times.

Brown is a better wrestler than he was last year. No one really wanted to believe that, but it is true.

He is better imo. You know what, I have to correct my earlier statement, I forgot about Brown. Brown showed me a lot tonight. Brown put a nice ride on Evans to win secure the win. I'm not sure that he could have done that last year. A tip of the hat to Mr. Brown.

Penn State wins 7 of 10 matches. When is the last time Iowa lost by 12 or more at Carver? How long will Gonzo and MSU be in hiding? Does Vak know the dual didn't end at 133? Inquiring minds want to know.

There is no reason for me to go into hiding. I picked PSU to win. The only match I was disappointed in was Kelly. His effort was ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE. There was NO sense of urgency knowing his match was supposed to be THE crucial swing match.

125: Megaludis was a likely winner against Clark and I didn't see Gilman winning, period.

133: Ramos had the fire EVERYONE needs to find.

141: Dziewa wrestled tough, but Retherford is too powerful on top.

149: Horrible, Horrible, Horrible.

157: St. John looked like St. John. For him to get majors he needs his opponent to be aggressive early. He is a slow starter and scores once he wears his opponent down. His style is not conducive to bonus pts.

165: EXACTLY what I expected.

174: Brown looked too strong for Evans. I still think he can beat Brown but he has to dictate the pace and wrestle all 7 minutes with no lapses.

184: EXACTLY what I expected.

197: A backup 184, albeit a decent one, was outmatched and lost accordingly.

285: Lawson wrestled hard but the score ended up like almost any 285 match 3-2 for the favorite.

Crazy thing is if Iowa would have won the two swing matches, 149 and 174, they would have won 18-18 by criteria. Ramos's pin would have decided the dual.

Hats off to PSU. They went into a hostile environment and took it to Iowa.

I was out with a female. It is Saturday night. I left immediately after the 141 match, but I followed along on Twitter. Sounded to me like Penn State just flat outwrestled Iowa in the majority of the remaining matches.

I'm simultaneously disappointed and proud of you. Evans in particular looked flat though. Happens to the best though (last weekend).

Ok, the morning after thoughts:

125: Gilman is talented but Mega has been under the big lights before and took care of business. The real story is what's up with Clark. Seems like there are two stories floating around; 1 hour weigh-in is a problem or his grandfather passed away. Maybe both?

133: Gulibon looked like a deer in the headlights. Half way through the match I was just waiting for something really bad to happen and I wasn't disappointed. Right now Jimmy's biggest problem is between the ears. Not that he should of won, but he should be competitive enough to put up some kind of fight.

141: Retherford again displays poise well beyond his years. Shakes off an early takedown and wins the match in the 3rd. It both pains me and makes me happy to say, he really reminds me of a young Dake.

149: It is always difficult to move up in weight during the season but Beitz has done a great job for Penn State. Down the road, could be an excellent replacement for A. Alton. Meanwhile, the Metcalf curse continues.

157: I really thought Vollrath would be more competitive but he did keep it to a regular decision; barley. Besides being very talented, St. John seems to present some specific matchup problems for James.

165: Moore should of been stalled out of that match. How that ref just let him do absolutely nothing from bottom was horrendous officiating.

174: Brown looked great and has shown this season that making the finals was no fluke. Evans, on the other hand, has some work to do, and needs to control that temper. If that elbow connected, could of been in some serious hot water.

184: Was hoping for a little more intensity out of Ruth but he got the major so really can't complain.

197: This match was a bit surprising as nobody was predicting a beat down here. Some after the fact people such as MSU pointing out that Brooks was a 184 as some sort of excuse, but the truth of the matter is he has been a full time 197 for some time now and only lost to Gadson 3-2. Many felt he was just a slight underdog in this match but in the end, McIntosh is just really good. Does anyone really believe that Burak takes it to Brooks like that in the room?

285: Lawson is getting very close. Wrestled a pretty good match and almost pulled off the upset. I like his chances to AA this season.

Good analysis, Flying-Tiger. BTW, I really like this Beitz kid. Somehow he doesn't look the part of a D-I wrestler, but does yeoman-like work nonetheless. He shows some flashes of developing a great ankle pick - doesn't lead to TDs all the time , but he seems to be able to get to the ankle with ease. Of course, its easy to root for an underdog type (a back-up wrestling up a weight to boot), but I think he's got some potential - and a great attitude.

Flying-Tiger, I understand you're high on McIntosh, understandably so. But, I wouldn't read too much into it. Brands said afterwards that Brooks will be at 184 at Midlands, so he really is a backup 184. Anyone of the top 8 or so guys at 197 could win it this year.

I was out with a female. It is Saturday night. I left immediately after the 141 match, but I followed along on Twitter. Sounded to me like Penn State just flat outwrestled Iowa in the majority of the remaining matches.

Sounds like a fun date. You drag her to a wrestling match, then stare at your phone the rest of the night.

Flying-Tiger, I understand you're high on McIntosh, understandably so. But, I wouldn't read too much into it. Brands said afterwards that Brooks will be at 184 at Midlands, so he really is a backup 184. Anyone of the top 8 or so guys at 197 could win it this year.

Brooks weighed in at, I believe it was said on the Penn State broadcast, 185.6. Certainly not a full-sized 197-pounder.

IMO McIntosh is a small 197; i thought he would do good against a smaller guy in Brooks. I think he could be a serious 184 pounder and give Ruth a run for his money but the team needs him at 197. He does seem to be slowed down by the strength and size of the 197 pounders. When wrestling Brooks, we saw some of what he looked like in high school