Sign in to follow this  
SalvatoreG

Iowa... Honest question

Is it me or does Iowa not shoot anymore ? I'm not trolling and I don't watch a ton of college wrestling so forgive me but the number of legitimate shots they take these days is a major area of concern if I

Tom Brands. When they do shoot, it's straight on with no angles. It's mostly just pushing these days and an occasional straight forward dive in at the legs. Psu was much more technically sound last night.

I don't think that is an unreasonable question. As i watched the match i thought the same thing. They are good at push fighting and hand fighting, but no real offensive shots, with the exception of Gilman and Ramos they had a hard time getting to the legs and scoring if they did.

Also, i wondered is PSU really that good? Cael got a good response from his younger wrestlers and they did not seemed rattled by the Carver Hawkeye crowd.

To me, Iowa did not have a good showing at all. They looked tired and got out wrestled. PSU was definitely better technically in all three positions.

I hope the Hawkeyes can bounce back from this and get individuals to preform come March. Ramos is awesome to watch and hopefully the other can feed off of the energy he puts out. He is one of my favorite D 1 guys to watch.

.... if i noticed- - - minimal neutral attacks, stalling warnings (at home!), get a lead and give up momentum, not knowing the score at 157 in an effort to get a major, evans got handled and then threw an elbow at the end of the match (pathetic), etc........ i have to wonder what Gable was thinking...

I agree...all defense from Iowa. They don't shoot. I was disappointed in their effort and strategy. They just push their opponents out of bounds. This isn't freestyle...I'm all for being physical but pushing isn't wrestling. Disappointed. :roll:

Iowa didn't have one takedown in the final 5 matches and only in two matches overall, ouch!

Could be wrong, but I counted only 10 total Iowa TDs in the dual. Ramos accounted for half that total with 5. DSJ did almost as well with 4, and Dziewa got an early TD in his loss to Retherford. No TDs in 7 out of 10 bouts, including the last 5 for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa didn't have one takedown in the final 5 matches and only in two matches overall, ouch!

Could be wrong, but I counted only 10 total Iowa TDs in the dual - exactly as Mopar predicted, IIRC. :o Ramos accounted for half that total with 5. DSJ did almost as well with 4, and Dziewa got an early TD in his loss to Retherford. No TDs in 7 out of 10 bouts, including the last 5 for the Hawkeyes.

Was a focus for Brands in the post-match press conference.

Just maybe Iowa is paying for wrestling" the little sisters of the poor" to start their season. Wrestling D-III and Junior Colleges plus going to a D-III open (Luther) just can't make a D-I team good----o yes it can pad your record and the coaches record and ten years from now who will know the quality of competition in that win/lose record.

The only decent team they wrestled was Edinboro, It just can't be that hard to put a schedule together that includes more decent teams.

After this year Iowa is in serious trouble except @ 125 & 133.

Probably some truth in this.

Besides Penn State, Oklahoma State and Minnesota, look at the emergence of Oklahoma. Look at what's going on at Ohio State who may win it all next year with the line up they will have. Look at Northwestern. There can be a number of teams that can beat Iowa going forward. Not just one or two, but several.

It is a great point that has been glaring for the past few years.

They don't take shots, period.

Even Ramos needs to pick it up in big matches (not last night of course, Guilbon still a guppy).

Evans hasn't bent his knees in a big match yet.

Just maybe Iowa is paying for wrestling" the little sisters of the poor" to start their season. Wrestling D-III and Junior Colleges plus going to a D-III open (Luther) just can't make a D-I team good----o yes it can pad your record and the coaches record and ten years from now who will know the quality of competition in that win/lose record.

The only decent team they wrestled was Edinboro, It just can't be that hard to put a schedule together that includes more decent teams.

You must be kidding if you think Iowa State isn't "decent", and you clearly haven't looked at the (actual) Big Ten schedule. Plus the also wrestle Oklahoma State.

I said the beginning of the season and Iowa State will struggle this year/ their record will be OK with ND State and others that they are wrestling but KJ is not having a great coaching career but Iowa State back on the Map.

Reading the main Iowa wrestling msg board and one guy over there (so many of the really good Iowa fans there, wish more of them were here) has pout this whole Iowa thing into the best perspective.

The guy wrote about how Iowa has a lot of pretty good wrestlers, but that Penn State has more elite wrestlers. In his view (and mine, obviously) he spoke about Iowa having Ramos and St. John as elite, then nobody else at that level, while Penn State had elite guys at maybe 6 weights. I think he pointed to Mega, Zain, Taylor, Brown, Ruth and McIntosh as elite wrestlers. Altons too if they can come back and wrestle to their potential.

Reading the main Iowa wrestling msg board and one guy over there (so many of the really good Iowa fans there, wish more of them were here) has pout this whole Iowa thing into the best perspective.

The guy wrote about how Iowa has a lot of pretty good wrestlers, but that Penn State has more elite wrestlers. In his view (and mine, obviously) he spoke about Iowa having Ramos and St. John as elite, then nobody else at that level, while Penn State had elite guys at maybe 6 weights. I think he pointed to Mega, Zain, Taylor, Brown, Ruth and McIntosh as elite wrestlers. Altons too if they can come back and wrestle to their potential.

Andrew Alton hasn't proven to be an elite wrestler yet.

Super(Let me put down another kid again)Old said: "Andrew Alton hasn't proven to be an elite wrestler yet."

Please define "elite wrestler" to us please. Multiple PA State Champ, with a full ride to a D1 school--let alone PS--sounds somewhat "elite" to me and has done more than you could ever imagine.

Super(Let me put down another kid again)Old said: "Andrew Alton hasn't proven to be an elite wrestler yet."

Please define "elite wrestler" to us please. Multiple PA State Champ, with a full ride to a D1 school--let alone PS--sounds somewhat "elite" to me and has done more than you could ever imagine.

I've yet to put down a single kid. And who cares about HS accomplishments on the D1 level? That means absolutely nothing now. Jimmy Gulibon too was a multiple state champion from PA, so what does that really mean now?

When I say Andrew Alton isn't elite, I mean he's yet to make AA at ncaas. What has Andrew done to be put in the elite category with Ruth, Taylor, and Megaludis? I'd love to hear it.

I will certainly agree with Iowa's offensive output. It's not good and I'm not satisfied with it, so I'm sure Tom isn't. I'd venture to bet the athletes aren't either. I will disagree with Iowa being in trouble after this year except for at 125 and 133. Iowa has good talent in the room and they have good talent coming in. They have plenty of young talent up and down the lineup. I think Iowa will be fine but this is only my opinion. I'm not going to panic cause they got smacked by a much better team with four finalists in the lineup and a junior world champ. Penn St. was better period and Cael knows how to recruit the exact guy he needs. But Iowa still has plenty of young talent. I don't think they're in trouble except for two weights at all.

I don't watch much Iowa wrestling, but from the dual last night I agree with the original poster. Not nearly enough offense from Iowa. Some guys were just wrestling better opponents, which makes it hard to get offense going, but still- you've got to shoot to score. Iowa also didn't finish very well and made mistakes at crucial times- 125, 141, 149 were all winnable matches lost at the end.

Brown really impressed me in his match- he wrestled HARD, hit that big shot right off the start and was on Evans like a savage animal for much of the match, even if he didn't score another TD.

Honest question- why is Evans such a fan favorite?