Sign in to follow this  
DF

Louden vs. Shute: things you probably didn't notice

0:35 Coach says, "Forget your nose, forget about everything, you gotta go out there and shoot to kill." While they show Shute with ominous music playing. Get it, "shoot" to kill? Clever.

0:40-0:42 HOLY $% them shoulders on Shute!

0:57-0:59 Shute pulls a classic Lee Van Cleef performance like in the final duel of the Good, Bad, Ugly with the nervous/hesitant fingers on the elbow.

1:01 That Shute worried expression. So much anti-heroism.

1:03-:05 Guy next to Linda Fiorentino acting like a total twat.

1:18-:19 Ref misses Shute clasping big time.

2:05-:07 Shute not even pretending to be fighting off the pin. That self-pin.

2:25 The good 'ole 80s, when you could still smoke at school functions.

2:33 Ref way too happy that Louden won/Shute lost.

2:48 One of the greatest mustaches in film history appears behind Mr. Tanneran.

0:35 Coach says, "Forget your nose, forget about everything, you gotta go out there and shoot to kill." While they show Shute with ominous music playing. Get it, "shoot" to kill? Clever.

0:40-0:42 HOLY $% them shoulders on Shute!

0:57-0:59 Shute pulls a classic Lee Van Cleef performance like in the final duel of the Good, Bad, Ugly with the nervous/hesitant fingers on the elbow.

1:01 That Shute worried expression. So much anti-heroism.

1:03-:05 Guy next to Linda Fiorentino acting like a total twat.

1:18-:19 Ref misses Shute clasping big time.

2:05-:07 Shute not even pretending to be fighting off the pin. That self-pin.

2:25 The good 'ole 80s, when you could still smoke at school functions.

2:33 Ref way too happy that Louden won/Shute lost.

2:48 One of the greatest mustaches in film history appears behind Mr. Tanneran.

that mustache belongs to Terry Davis, author of the book.

i always liked how swain gets carried off the mat when there's like, 3 more matches to wrestle in the dual meet. did the team even win? or is everyone just really pumped for loudain? all that for a guy who'd rather warm up alone than bother cheering on his team mates. what kind of leadership is that anyway?

i'd also like to see the sequel from shute's point of view, that ends in the state final with shute mutilating swain.

concur on the shute self pin btw. i think its all tactical so he can set swain up in the tournament.

also never would have noticed guy at 1:03-:05 had DF not pointed it out and i wholeheartedly agree.

I always kind of figured Louden moved back up in weight because he had trouble making 168 just once. He went down to prove he could beat the guy, after that he doesn't really have anything else to prove. He said it was more important than a state title. He probably finished the year winning state at his regular weight and only had that one loss by injury default to the kid with the afro.

There was a guy here who reminded me of that a little, except it didn't turn out the way he wanted. He dropped 3 weights to get a piece of Angel Cejudo in a dual. Then when they wrestled Cejudo waxed him 21-5. After that he moved back up and placed at state in his regular weight.

I always kind of figured Louden moved back up in weight because he had trouble making 168 just once. He went down to prove he could beat the guy, after that he doesn't really have anything else to prove. He said it was more important than a state title. He probably finished the year winning state at his regular weight and only had that one loss by injury default to the kid with the afro.

There was a guy here who reminded me of that a little, except it didn't turn out the way he wanted. He dropped 3 weights to get a piece of Angel Cejudo in a dual. Then when they wrestled Cejudo waxed him 21-5. After that he moved back up and placed at state in his regular weight.

I take it you didn't read the book? Louden never goes to State his senior year, he graduates early after the first semester.

Didn't the referee say "no takedown" after Schute shot on Louden and they went out of bounds. Next scene shows Louden taking the down position as if a takedown had been awarded.

If you notice I specifically mentioned 168 lbs. That was not the weight Louden aspired to cut to wrestle at in the book. Thus you should know I was speaking about the movie.

I knew you were talking about the movie, I was just pointing out how it ended in the book.

If you notice I specifically mentioned 168 lbs. That was not the weight Louden aspired to cut to wrestle at in the book. Thus you should know I was speaking about the movie.

I knew you were talking about the movie, I was just pointing out how it ended in the book.

We aren't talking about the book. If we were I would have said, "but in the book...". I'm speculating on what would have seemed likely to happen in the movie. Especially since he acknowledges the fact he kept wrestling, and at the very least hints he kept it up all season. Also the book doesn't reveal what the result of the match with Schute was either.

We aren't talking about the book. If we were I would have said, "but in the book...". I'm speculating on what would have seemed likely to happen in the movie. Especially since he acknowledges the fact he kept wrestling, and at the very least hints he kept it up all season. Also the book doesn't reveal what the result of the match with Schute was either.

Thank you Captain Obvious.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Madonna make her film debut in that movie?

Not quite.

Year Film Role Director Studio Notes US Box Office (US$)

1979 A Certain Sacrifice Bruna Stephen Jon Lewicki Cine Cine Productions Leading Role, released in 1985 at the height of Madonna's fame N/A

1985 Vision Quest (aka Crazy for You) Singer Harold Becker Warner Bros. Cameo appearance, includes the songs "Crazy for You" and "Gambler" 12,993,175

Desperately Seeking Susan Susan Susan Seidelman Orion Supporting role, includes the song "Into the Groove" 27,398,584

So in this book it does not show the result of the match with Schute, nor does Loudan finish the season? What the **** is wrong with this book. Sounds terrible.

"you gotta go out there and STICK HIM" is what is actually said in this clip.

Maybe the original had "shoot to kill"? If so, and this is pure speculation, but one can imagine them wanting to dub over "shoot to kill" at some point, given some awful HS shooting incidents.