Sign in to follow this  
DF

Louden vs. Shute: things you probably didn't notice

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Madonna make her film debut in that movie?

Not quite.

Year Film Role Director Studio Notes US Box Office (US$)

1979 A Certain Sacrifice Bruna Stephen Jon Lewicki Cine Cine Productions Leading Role, released in 1985 at the height of Madonna's fame N/A

1985 Vision Quest (aka Crazy for You) Singer Harold Becker Warner Bros. Cameo appearance, includes the songs "Crazy for You" and "Gambler" 12,993,175

Desperately Seeking Susan Susan Susan Seidelman Orion Supporting role, includes the song "Into the Groove" 27,398,584

I believe it is referred to her first on screen musical performance.

i never read the book (books are for nerds) but it does sound terrible. but that only figures as the movie is also terrible.

It's all about context. This movie came out in early, Feb. 85, which was around two weeks before the start of sections/regions/states in Pa., and was incredibly impactful to me. My teammate/best friend and I went 2 or 3 times to watch because it got us so fired up. Who cares about the actual storyline? Dude cuts weight to battle the stud, wins and walks off with the hot chick. Who doesn't want that as an 18 year...aside from DF.

We were cutting hard at this point, each dropping a weight class, and this movie helped drive us. I loved it! Great soundtrack as well

It's all about context. This movie came out in early, Feb. 85, which was around two weeks before the start of sections/regions/states in Pa., and was incredibly impactful to me. My teammate/best friend and I went 2 or 3 times to watch because it got us so fired up. Who cares about the actual storyline? Dude cuts weight to battle the stud, wins and walks off with the hot chick. Who doesn't want that as an 18 year...aside from DF.

We were cutting hard at this point, each dropping a weight class, and this movie helped drive us. I loved it! Great soundtrack as well

so you did or didn't read the book?

Didn't the referee say "no takedown" after Schute shot on Louden and they went out of bounds. Next scene shows Louden taking the down position as if a takedown had been awarded.

Yes, the most annoying part of the movie.

Schute hits a headlock out of bounds.  The ref clearly states "Out of bounds.  No takedown"

They go to the middle and Louden gets in the bottom position, with Shute on top.   Louden stands up and when Shute brings him back to  the mat the ref exclaims "Two, takedown!"

C'mon Man!!!!!

Yes, the most annoying part of the movie.

Schute hits a headlock out of bounds.  The ref clearly states "Out of bounds.  No takedown"

They go to the middle and Louden gets in the bottom position, with Shute on top.   Louden stands up and when Shute brings him back to  the mat the ref exclaims "Two, takedown!"

C'mon Man!!!!!

They cut a scene out where Shute took his 2nd injury time out.  Swain picked bottom.

That rule came out after the movie. I know you're trying to downplay the obvious; sad but Vision Quest maybe the best wrestling movie of all time.

In terms of interesting plot, I liked "Win, Win" better.  Vision Quest came first, however, and came out when I was 16, so it holds a special place in the pantheon of wrestling movies.

FWIW, the pantheon of wrestling movies is currently at two if you don't count World According to Garp or Foxcatcher.