Sign in to follow this  
Flying-Tiger

Should Tom Brands Fire Terry Brands?

Nothing against Terry Brands, I think he would make a excellent head coach, but I have to question how much he brings to the table at Iowa. What I mean by that is he has the exact same attributes as Tom. Wouldn't Iowa be better off with more diversity in their coaching staff? A guy like Perry or Borschel as assistant coach would make more sense to me. I think Tom took a step in this direction by letting his good friend Zadick go. Z was too similar to the Brands brothers and Tom wanted someone with a different personality/skill set. Maybe it's time for Terry to start looking for a head coaching job; a program like Rutgers perhaps? I think he would do really well.

I don't think so; before diversity i think you want a quality coaching staff. Once you have a quality coaching staff then you start to think about how much diversity in philosophy/skill sets you have. Personally, i think the Brands brothers have different personalities, not completely different but different enough for some diversity.

You could say that about the Sanderson brothers, although they're not the same weight i don't think their personalities are too different. They are both humble, soft-spoken, low-energy type guys (at least in the media).

I think the Brands' have to figure out how to get their wrestlers to improve their offense. This is something they can do without firing anyone.

Seriously, how do you fire your brother? :shock:

You do it on Christmas Eve of course.

I would like to see Terry leave Iowa but not because I think it would help them but because I think it would help college wrestling in general. Spread some of that wealth around. It would be awesome to see him at Rutgers working with all of that NJ talent.

I most certainly don't like the word "fire" and I don't even entertain the idea of Tom firing Terry. His presence is very beneficial in my opinion to the success of the Iowa program. However, I will state that if Terry were to make the decision to leave the Hawkeye program and venture elsewhere I would very much be in support of it. While I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan, I am a college wrestling fan first and foremost. The idea of Terry Brands going out and helping to develop a team into a competitive one is very appealing to me. I feel strongly that Terry's small amount of time at Chattanooga, helped to turn that team around and make the southern conference more competitive all around.

Matter of fact it doesn't sit real well with me that we continuously nag and complain about how administrations don't do enough to improve their wrestling programs and yet Chattanooga got the shaft twice and we quietly turn a blind eye to it. They initially hired Terry Brands with the intentions of building a competitive team, and through these efforts began to take hold of the Southern Conference that had been predominately won by Appalachian State year in and year out. Brands left to be a part of the Iowa program and then Chattanooga hired Bono with similar intentions, who would leave them to go to Iowa State. While I can appreciate and understand one's motivation to go and coach at their Alma mater, it severely contradicts all of the consistent demanding we do as a community for more support and recognition of our sport. If I were in charge at a University and I saw what happened to Chattanooga after they made two diligent efforts to better their wrestling program only to get stiffed in the end, it'd make me think twice about putting time and money into it.

With that said, I'd love to see Terry take over for Goldman at Indiana or Minkle at Michigan State. Better yet I'd be thrilled to death to see him go to a program like Duke, and see what he could do their. It'd be awesome to see AA's year in and year out at a "basketball" school.

Fire him? No, Hell no. Him leave on his own convictions and go out and use his expertise to help build a program elsewhere? Yeah, I'd be all for that and support him 100% if he were to make the decision. I support his decision to stay put and help Tom at Iowa too.

I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening. Terry has already been a head coach (at UTC). Maybe he'd give it another go at a one of the top programs, but I'd be surprised to see that happen. It would be good for the sport though, so I hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand, I'd miss seeing the Brands brothers leaping about madly together at matside. :)

I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening. Terry has already been a head coach (at UTC). Maybe he'd give it another go at a one of the top programs, but I'd be surprised to see that happen. It would be good for the sport though, so I hope I'm wrong.

On the other hand, I'd miss seeing the Brands brothers leaping about madly together at matside. :)

I want to see them go at one another. Can you imagine if Terry were the head coach at say Michigan State or Indiana and against Iowa there was a controversial call. They love one another dearly and probably have a better relationship than do most siblings, but I guarantee you that it would get heated. Imagine the BIG 10's and a semi-final match or a finals match with one of Terry's wrestlers vs Tom's. You want incentive and excitement to get people interested in watching wrestling, here you go.

I've heard stories of how when Tom and Terry were in college, that there were times when on the road the bus would have to pull over for Tom and Terry to get out and go at one another to settle a dispute. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I also heard that Tom and Terry were none too afraid of throwing punches at one another in the practice room.

I'd love to see it. Tom Brands of Iowa Vs Terry Brands of _______ of would be great for wrestling.

I most certainly don't like the word "fire" and I don't even entertain the idea of Tom firing Terry. His presence is very beneficial in my opinion to the success of the Iowa program. However, I will state that if Terry were to make the decision to leave the Hawkeye program and venture elsewhere I would very much be in support of it. While I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan, I am a college wrestling fan first and foremost. The idea of Terry Brands going out and helping to develop a team into a competitive one is very appealing to me. I feel strongly that Terry's small amount of time at Chattanooga, helped to turn that team around and make the southern conference more competitive all around.

Matter of fact it doesn't sit real well with me that we continuously nag and complain about how administrations don't do enough to improve their wrestling programs and yet Chattanooga got the shaft twice and we quietly turn a blind eye to it. They initially hired Terry Brands with the intentions of building a competitive team, and through these efforts began to take hold of the Southern Conference that had been predominately won by Appalachian State year in and year out. Brands left to be a part of the Iowa program and then Chattanooga hired Bono with similar intentions, who would leave them to go to Iowa State. While I can appreciate and understand one's motivation to go and coach at their Alma mater, it severely contradicts all of the consistent demanding we do as a community for more support and recognition of our sport. If I were in charge at a University and I saw what happened to Chattanooga after they made two diligent efforts to better their wrestling program only to get stiffed in the end, it'd make me think twice about putting time and money into it.

With that said, I'd love to see Terry take over for Goldman at Indiana or Minkle at Michigan State. Better yet I'd be thrilled to death to see him go to a program like Duke, and see what he could do their. It'd be awesome to see AA's year in and year out at a "basketball" school.

Fire him? No, Hell no. Him leave on his own convictions and go out and use his expertise to help build a program elsewhere? Yeah, I'd be all for that and support him 100% if he were to make the decision. I support his decision to stay put and help Tom at Iowa too.

I'm with you a 100%. I felt bad for American too but I couldn't blame Cody for taking the Okla job.

I want to see them go at one another. Can you imagine if Terry were the head coach at say Michigan State or Indiana and against Iowa there was a controversial call. They love one another dearly and probably have a better relationship than do most siblings, but I guarantee you that it would get heated. Imagine the BIG 10's and a semi-final match or a finals match with one of Terry's wrestlers vs Tom's. You want incentive and excitement to get people interested in watching wrestling, here you go.

I've heard stories of how when Tom and Terry were in college, that there were times when on the road the bus would have to pull over for Tom and Terry to get out and go at one another to settle a dispute. Whether it's true or not, I don't know. I also heard that Tom and Terry were none too afraid of throwing punches at one another in the practice room.

I'd love to see it. Tom Brands of Iowa Vs Terry Brands of _______ of would be great for wrestling.

I agree 100% - that would be epic!!

Tiger, I'm just curious if your sentiments on the Brands brothers also extend to the Sanderson boys at Penn State. Is there a difference between the two, outside of the fact that you're an obvious Penn State fan?

I can't speak for Tiger, but the obvious difference to me is whether your team is performing up to expectations or not. If it is, its unlikely you'd want to shake up your coaching staff, particularly if they all get along, etc. However, if your team is not achieving its goals, you'd naturally want to explore what you could do to improve that situation. And the latter could involve considering a lot of things, including whether or not some changes are needed to the coaching staff.

You guys are NUTZ! Terry Brands is probably the best lightweight coach in the COUNTRY! Look at what 125-141 has done since Terry has been the Assistant. The problems, if there truly are any, for Iowa are NOT at the lower weights. If you watch any of the practices or listen to the wrestlers (even Cejudo) they credit Terry BIG TIME!

Duke has the perfect person there already in Glen Lanham. Further, I suspect Terry wouldn't be the best choice there due to the amount of fundraising and administrative work required.

Also, that's why Chattanooga put Chattanoogan Heath Eslinger in charge there. He's not going anywhere, and he's doing a great job to boot. (see: Scuffle, Southern, which is a boon not just for the school, but the entire city of Chattanoga)

Are the Brands bros identical twins?

You are joking, right?

No. I think many assume they are, but I'm not sure how many know for sure. Just because they look very similar doesn't make them identical. Kind of like the famous Olsen twins who aren't identical.

You are joking, right?

No. I think many assume they are, but I'm not sure how many know for sure. Just because they look very similar doesn't make them identical. Kind of like the famous Olsen twins who aren't identical.

I fell down a rabbit hole of Olsen twins trivia, and the internet believes that they're fraternal. Thanks, superold. I want that 10 minutes of my life back.

You are joking, right?

They ARE Identical twins.........

Excellent post, JT!

They ARE Identical twins.........

Really? I remember reading somewhere that Tom was 2 inches taller than Terry. I believe that's pretty rare for identical twins.

Does anyone know if there really is a 2 inch difference between the two?

Reasons why Terry stays at Iowa:

It would be great for the sport and for any program to hire Terry Brands, but Terry knows he has a very good thing at Iowa and the university wants to keep him. He is now called the Associate head Coach, and Iowa pays Terry more than almost every other head coach out there (except for Sanderson, Smith, Tom, J. Robinson, and maybe Koll.. and maybe one or two others). Having an assistant coach with the same mentality, and philosophy helps the head coach with a worry free consistency in the leadership. Terry also has a lot of freedom at Iowa. Tom trusts him to say what he needs to say and coach what he needs to coach without getting approval, or butting heads… Tom also knows Terry is the more technical coach the staff needs.