Sign in to follow this  
DF

What was your price to throw a match?

It was known during my competitive days that I could be bought, 3rd-world-wrestler-at-the-olympics-style.

Of course I didn't do it for the money, I did it more for the lulz. Like I'd go up 14-0 on some scrub who bought me and then I'd proceed to let him score 15 points in the last period for some major lulz.

Or I'd re-enact the final scene from Vision Quest and let my opponent hip toss me for the pin, and I'd have a teammate who was in on the hustle blast the classic song from the movie over the loudspeakers right when the ref called the pin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxDdd486sg).

I'd charge anywhere from $25-$50 for regular dual meets depending on if they wanted to win by decision vs. pin, $100 for the smaller meaningless tournaments, and up to $500 at major tournaments depending on if it was the quarters, semis, or finals.

How much did you guys charge?

in high school, we got a free sandwich from the local deli for every win, so it would have to be more than than $10 or so to account for the value of the sandwich i'd be giving up. then there's all the hot high school trim i'd have to forgo once word got out that i was a fraud.

this is a tough one but im thinking at least 6 figures, maybe even a cool millio.

OK, I'll bite on this one. Some of this I've never told anyone, and I've regretted (for reasons herein) often since.

My sophomore year of HS, I went back and forth with a teammate all year on Varsity and JV/Soph.

When I really wanted Varsity, I usually got it, but if there was a Soph or JV tournament I wanted to win, I could be beaten in a wrestle-off.

Sectionals was coming up, and we had the defending State Champion in our Sectional. Earlier in the year (one of my first few Varsity matches), I got psyched out by talk from my teammates, and got pummeled 17-0 (no tech-falls in the seventies in folkstyle) by the returning fourth-placer, so I wasn't looking forward to facing the champ. Add to that the fact that my step-dad said he'd take me to the Daytona 500 with him if I didn't go to Sectionals (he was leaving the day before to head to Fla.), so I lost a convincing 7-6 wrestle-off.

Turns out the kid who got second, and therefore earned a trip to Districts, where he was fourth, was I guy I hammered 11-2 during the regular season.

Then, my step-dad decided not to make the trip to Daytona.

It doesn't pay to do the wrong thing. I wouldn't have even considered doing it my Jr. or Sr. years.

OK, I'll bite on this one. Some of this I've never told anyone, and I've regretted (for reasons herein) often since.

My sophomore year of HS, I went back and forth with a teammate all year on Varsity and JV/Soph.

When I really wanted Varsity, I usually got it, but if there was a Soph or JV tournament I wanted to win, I could be beaten in a wrestle-off.

Sectionals was coming up, and we had the defending State Champion in our Sectional. Earlier in the year (one of my first few Varsity matches), I got psyched out by talk from my teammates, and got pummeled 17-0 (no tech-falls in the seventies in folkstyle) by the returning fourth-placer, so I wasn't looking forward to facing the champ. Add to that the fact that my step-dad said he'd take me to the Daytona 500 with him if I didn't go to Sectionals (he was leaving the day before to head to Fla.), so I lost a convincing 7-6 wrestle-off.

Turns out the kid who got second, and therefore earned a trip to Districts, where he was fourth, was I guy I hammered 11-2 during the regular season.

Then, my step-dad decided not to make the trip to Daytona.

It doesn't pay to do the wrong thing. I wouldn't have even considered doing it my Jr. or Sr. years.

Thanks for sharing, it was quite a moving story. Step-dads have let a lot of step-sons down throughout history. But sometimes even real dads let their real sons down. Your story reminds me of when my dad had to cancel our winter skiing excursion to Gstaad (pronounced "Sh-Tah-D") in the Swiss Alps because he was called in to meet with his board of directors. You probably acted like I did:

John Dupont often paid his opponents off to lose to him, typical going rate was $1000/ match. I witnessed one of his thrown matches during the World Masters/Veterans tournament in Toronto in 1993.

There's the one new thing that I've learned today: I didn't even know that Dupont actually wrestled.

John Dupont often paid his opponents off to lose to him, typical going rate was $1000/ match. I witnessed one of his thrown matches during the World Masters/Veterans tournament in Toronto in 1993.

There's the one new thing that I've learned today: I didn't even know that Dupont actually wrestled.

Define wrestled.

You've never heard of the Foxcatcher Five?

How much did you end up paying the guy you beat for that State Championship?

Nothing.

But I was offered a hefty sum to Down Goes Frazier! in the semis but I didn't take it because I wanted my high school wrestling career to mean something, which it doesn't if you don't place at least 1st or 2nd in state at least once.

-----

you already knew how to pronounce "Gstaad?"

-----

you already knew how to pronounce "Gstaad?"

Who didn't?

My wrist-borne time-piece tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

Mods, can you please lock or delete this thread.

After thinking it over, and since I want to be a more positive and optimistic person, I reckon this thread will give our fellow wrestlers the wrong impression about what wrestling's all about.

Since one of wrestling's main purposes is to prepare us to overcome challenges in the real world like we do on the mat, I don't think a thread about buying your way to success or getting there because of who you know is a good idea, because that doesn't happen much in the real world.

You've never heard of the Foxcatcher Five?

We call that the "Coxcatcher"