Sign in to follow this  
DF

What was your price to throw a match?

It was known during my competitive days that I could be bought, 3rd-world-wrestler-at-the-olympics-style.

Of course I didn't do it for the money, I did it more for the lulz. Like I'd go up 14-0 on some scrub who bought me and then I'd proceed to let him score 15 points in the last period for some major lulz.

Or I'd re-enact the final scene from Vision Quest and let my opponent hip toss me for the pin, and I'd have a teammate who was in on the hustle blast the classic song from the movie over the loudspeakers right when the ref called the pin (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htxDdd486sg).

I'd charge anywhere from $25-$50 for regular dual meets depending on if they wanted to win by decision vs. pin, $100 for the smaller meaningless tournaments, and up to $500 at major tournaments depending on if it was the quarters, semis, or finals.

How much did you guys charge?

MY price is that you never troll here again.

OK, I'll bite on this one. Some of this I've never told anyone, and I've regretted (for reasons herein) often since.

My sophomore year of HS, I went back and forth with a teammate all year on Varsity and JV/Soph.

When I really wanted Varsity, I usually got it, but if there was a Soph or JV tournament I wanted to win, I could be beaten in a wrestle-off.

Sectionals was coming up, and we had the defending State Champion in our Sectional. Earlier in the year (one of my first few Varsity matches), I got psyched out by talk from my teammates, and got pummeled 17-0 (no tech-falls in the seventies in folkstyle) by the returning fourth-placer, so I wasn't looking forward to facing the champ. Add to that the fact that my step-dad said he'd take me to the Daytona 500 with him if I didn't go to Sectionals (he was leaving the day before to head to Fla.), so I lost a convincing 7-6 wrestle-off.

Turns out the kid who got second, and therefore earned a trip to Districts, where he was fourth, was I guy I hammered 11-2 during the regular season.

Then, my step-dad decided not to make the trip to Daytona.

It doesn't pay to do the wrong thing. I wouldn't have even considered doing it my Jr. or Sr. years.

Thanks for sharing, it was quite a moving story. Step-dads have let a lot of step-sons down throughout history. But sometimes even real dads let their real sons down. Your story reminds me of when my dad had to cancel our winter skiing excursion to Gstaad (pronounced "Sh-Tah-D") in the Swiss Alps because he was called in to meet with his board of directors. You probably acted like I did:

Haha. I do love when df posts about his wealth and his father neglecting him over his work.

DF, your dad was a CEO or a banker, correct?

Haha. I do love when df posts about his wealth and his father neglecting him over his work.

DF, your dad was a CEO or a banker, correct?

I'm not entirely sure what he does exactly. I asked him once when I was little and he just said "international commodities" and didn't elaborate. When I asked him if I could go with him to work for "Take Your Son To Work Day" like all the other kids in my school had done with their dads he just said "No" and told me to go play because he was expecting a teleconference call from Europe. I called him this Christmas and New Years but it went straight to his voicemail. Then a few days later I got my usual Christmas gift of a money transfer into my bank account with a note that just said, "Sorry I missed your calls old sport, hope this makes up for it, Dad."