Sign in to follow this  
Wahawk90

New NBA Uniforms

The NBA's new uniforms are tight fitted however, I don't believe that is going to lead to kids saying that they don't want to play basketball because of the tight shirts. Hopefully, we in the wrestling community can get away from that stupid argument and stop advocating for getting rid of the singlet.

A very reliable source who is active at the international level told me two weeks ago the singlet will ceased to be used in international competition. He explained that wrestlings problem is there is nothing to market except wrestling shoes and singlets. Shorts that could be worn in public and tight shirts will become the new uniform. Advertising akin to Golf and Nascar will be allowed. If this isn't one wrestling will lose out to newer sports that have popular merchandise the public wants to buy.

This is irrelevant on like, 6 different levels.

You must live under a rock. The tight singlet is commonly used as a reason that young kids don't want to wrestle. I think it is a poor excuse on our part, the wrestling, to believe that if we went to short and a shirt kids will want to wrestle. Wrestling is not a sexy sport like basketball or football or even baseball and changing the uniform doesn't change that. We may be the only sport that thinks the problem of limited growth is our uniforms. There are no grand discussions in swimming, track, boxing relating to growth and uniforms because those sports at least understand that the uniform is not the problem. Hopefully, we as a wrestling community can move forward from this to focus on real solutions.

While I realize the singlet may be an easy excuse for some to avoid trying the sport, I have no doubts it does prevent some from giving it a shot. And I'm speaking of middle and high school kids who are brand new to the sport. Again, I realize it's a weak and easy excuse for some but I wish some of you guys could walk the halls of a middle school or high school and try and recruit kids to even give it a shot before you just dismiss it as not even a little factor in more kids being involved. I'm disappointed the uniforms such as the "double" didn't last more than a year or two.

Truth is wrestling is hard and kids are not used to hard especially when they start in junior high and high school. I believe that one of the worst things to do is recruit junior high kids that have never wrestled. By the time they start to learn how to wrestle then they are in high school getting hammered on by guys that have more experience. My point is if we can get past talking about singlets and focus on early recruitment and developing those athletes then it wouldn't matter what they are wearing they would stay in the sport.

While I agree that changing the singlet is an easy out for kids not to try the sport, if it would grow the sport at all isn't it worth a shot? I think a major problem is that if a tight shirt and shorts were allowed, it would severely affect the companies that solely support wrestling, Cliff Keen, Brute,etc. I would bet this has been a consideration, but that is just my opinion.

I do not agree that we should avoid recruiting kids at the junior high level or even high school. I agree the majority of your elite wrestlers start early, however, I could tell you many good stories about kids that started after 7th grade and the positive effect the sport had on them. Many HS programs would be riddled with forfeits and that doesn't help the sport in any way.

I don't buy the whole singlet argument. Most kids that I run across cite "I don't want to roll around with another guy" as their main reason for not wrestling. Should we change the sport to limit contact to appeal to the masses?

I also don't buy the idea that switching to a spandex shirt is going to increase marketability. Are more people going to go out and buy form fitting spandex shirts than already buy wrestling t-shirts? How is a spandex shirt any different than a spandex singlet top other than one has sleeves and the other does not?

It seems that if kids are discouraged by the uniform is form fitting and thus revealing, not by the fact that a singlet does not have sleeves. Switching to a spandex shirt does not alleviate this issue, unless the issue is that kids are too self conscious about revealing their upper arms. Judging by current fashion trends where tank tops are pretty popular among teens, I do not think revealing the upper arms is a huge issue.

MMA stars wear form fitting shirts and compression shorts. It's cool now. Kids want to be cool.

It couldn't hurt to give it a try. I haven't heard anyone give an argument on the downside of changing the uniform, other than messing with tradition. Am I missing something?

I think that many people are grossly overplaying the popularity of MMA among youth. I rarely see kids wearing MMA related gear and/or expressing a desire to get into MMA. In eight years of coaching at the high school level, I have yet to get a decent kid with an MMA background of sole ambition to get into MMA, nor have I witnessed any on other teams/

Wrestling makes MMA better, but I don't think MMA necessarily makes wrestling better.

I think that many people are grossly overplaying the popularity of MMA among youth. I rarely see kids wearing MMA related gear and/or expressing a desire to get into MMA. In eight years of coaching at the high school level, I have yet to get a decent kid with an MMA background of sole ambition to get into MMA, nor have I witnessed any on other teams/

Wrestling makes MMA better, but I don't think MMA necessarily makes wrestling better.

The wrestlers I coach get together for every UFC fight. When they mess around before practice starts, they try to put each other in triangles and arm-bars. At Freakshow, the TO hang a some sort of a "The UFC supports SCWAY" banner and kids talked about it all weekend. They cannot get enough of this stuff.

Anything we can do to connect wrestling to MMA in the minds of the general populace will only increase wrestling's popularity. We don't have to eliminate the singlet from FILA Senior events, just let kids wear Under armor if they want to.

Maybe the fact is that a lot of posters have an opinion without living in high population areas and having very little interaction with large groups of teenagers. If you think that wearing leotards is a non issue amongst 12-18 year old boys, you simply do not have enough in depth exposure to a large amount of normal kids.

Granby-I don't question that there is interest in MMA from those who wrestle. I do question the notion that kids are drawn to wrestling in order to emulate fighters or become involved in MMA and also the idea that kids think MMA gear is cool. I never see kids in the general population wearing fight shorts casually or in the weight room and with the exception of MMA Elite clothes from Wal-Mart, rarely see MMA shirts.

Maybe this varies with geographic location, I don't know.

Not every kid who wrestles wants to turn into a pro MMA fighter, but they do love the gear. 3 years ago, we gave our MS club wrestlers "fight short" style shorts, and they wear them whenever they can as high schoolers now.

A new uniform won't suddenly bring out youth wrestlers in droves, but it can't hurt.