Sign in to follow this  
HashTag WRESTLING

Best HS Wrestlers All Time

# 2014 Cream of the Crop

There are a slew of topics on the College board about best of all time --- does Chance Marstellar make the list for top 10 HS wrestlers of all time? Where does Kyle Snyder fit in?

Kolat has been mentioned no less than a million times as the greatest HS wrestler ever --- who else is on the list?

Kolat is still the best I have ever seen. He had every move in the book to either get the other guy in trouble or get out of trouble himself. Total domination.

Chance has never lost to a high school wrestler, and he has basically crushed everyone except the odd match here and there. So yeah, he should be on any list. Snyder has lost to J'Den Cox, but he has also won internationally. He should be on your list as well.

Dave Schultz and Jimmy Carr are two other greats that deserve a mention. Among the newer guys, Metcalf, Schlatter, and Logan Stieber also deserve a mention. Can't forget Alan Fried from back in the day, or Damian Hahn.

Marsteller is good too. I'd like to see him get more wins over the next level of competition though. I watched him lose to an Iowa backup and another collegiate wrestler when at the Junior trials a few years ago. However, since then, he has beaten an Olympian. That's definitely a good win for a HS kid, but the top tier at least has to have wins over an ncaa champ or D1 AA imo.

Mocco has to be at least mentioned, best heavyweight I have ever seen. Luke Fickell, though a terrible DCoordinator was one of the best I have ever seen in high school as well though he never did anything beyond that so he doesn't get mentioned.

My list would be in this order Dave Schultz, Jimmy Carr, Cary Kolat, then you can discuss whoever you want. Dave Schultz placing at Tbilisi while in high school, TF Chuck Yagla defending NCAA champ , who I think made the 1980 Olympic team, then winning the CA state title up 2 weight classes can't be matched.

Dustin Schlatter was the best I'd seen in recent years, but Brent Metcalf would have to be in the same conversation.

Mark Smith the youngest of the Smith brothers was voted the Oklahoma high school wrestler of the century(last century) that has to count for something.

Ditto on Pico. He has gotten so good he might just bail on HS altogether and go international now. What little bit of sloppiness he had during Fargo seems to have been fixed. Won Cadet worlds with only a tough finals and then improved after that to own a very tough senior level Russian. s

^^When Jimmy Carr was 16 years old he made the 1971 men's United States World freestyle team. When Jimmy was 17 years old he made the men's 1972 freestyle Olympic team and finished 12th of 24 competitors at the 114.5 pounds. Dec of 1973 Carr was a senior in high school, living in Kentucky, Tom Canavan got him an invitation to compete in the Dec 1973 Midlands (at 126 pounds), Carr won the Midlands, beating the defending NCAA champion Mark Massary 11-7 in the finals and was voted Midlands OW. I can't think of any high school kid, other than Jimmy Carr, who made the Olympic freestyle team and was Midlands OW. Off the charts.

^^When Jimmy Carr was 16 years old he made the 1971 men's United States World freestyle team. When Jimmy was 17 years old he made the men's 1972 freestyle Olympic team and finished 12th of 24 competitors at the 114.5 pounds. Dec of 1973 Carr was a senior in high school, living in Kentucky, Tom Canavan got him an invitation to compete in the Dec 1973 Midlands (at 126 pounds), Carr won the Midlands, beating the defending NCAA champion Mark Massary 11-7 in the finals and was voted Midlands OW. I can't think of any high school kid, other than Jimmy Carr, who made the Olympic freestyle team and was Midlands OW. Off the charts.

Yeah..he was just a bit before my time. Never feel comfortable discussing those I didn't get to see with my own two eyes. With those accomplishments though, I must say Carr had to be considered a freak of nature. Making world and Olympic teams as a teenager? WOW!

Fair about Carr in a different era, but Pico may do the same (expect for Midlands which are not available any longer to HS kids) in a tougher weight (then and now). If he does as a 17 year old does he get the nod? He already has Senior level credentials after all.

In New York State. With a RICH tradition of wrestling it is all speculative and subjective . So, it must be done objectively by weight and/or decade. Funny, that Olympians like Banach/ McCoy wouldnt be in the BEST catagory in High School...and Dake wouldnt be either.

In New York State. With a RICH tradition of wrestling it is all speculative and subjective . So, it must be done objectively by weight and/or decade. Funny, that Olympians like Banach/ McCoy wouldnt be in the BEST catagory in High School...and Dake wouldnt be either.

Why are you still here? Do you have no shame at all? Pathetic.

Why are you still here? Do you have no shame at all? Pathetic.

Fill me in. Sounds like I missed something... :lol:

**edit**

never mind. I know what you mean now.

In regards to the opening post, it has to be Schultz or Carr. They were world class elite while in HS, at the senior level! That's crazy. Can you imagine the noise around here if a Pico or a Snyder was placing 2nd at the world's toughest senior level event, while in HS? Crazy.

Township, this latest incarnation of LIMarty comes back here under another name, after having been banned (and also having lost a bet which he promised never to return), simply to rip a regular poster on these boards for having the nerve to run a wrestling club.

If he was coming back to actually contribute something, it wouldn't be so bad. To come back with the sole purpose to rip a guy that seems to be a decent enough guy, simply because the guy charges wrestlers to attend his club? That's low.

I coach at a private club, and I also volunteer to run a rec level program. Different levels for different kids, and different demands on the coaches that do both.

I agree that it's Shultz or Carr for the criteria given, but Pico might be approaching that kind of status.

Hollywood isn't Marty. I can prove it if anyone wants to be sure (they have both been odiously public with their names, etc.), but as a NY-bred guy I wouldn't want to emphasize that we have in fact produced two of these idiots for the ages.

I agree that it's Shultz or Carr for the criteria given, but Pico might be approaching that kind of status.

Hollywood isn't Marty. I can prove it if anyone wants to be sure (they have both been odiously public with their names, etc.), but as a NY-bred guy I wouldn't want to emphasize that we have in fact produced two of these idiots for the ages.

Jason Trirtsis will give Pico all he can handle at the new weight class of 65 kilos! Bank on it!

Jason Trirtsis will give Pico all he can handle at the new weight class of 65 kilos! Bank on it!

Schultz and Carr have to be top two for their senior level success, no other Americans can boast it, but I'm fairly certain there have been 17 and 18 year olds for other countries that have won world or olympic level golds. As for Pico/Tsirtsis, they both might be 70 kg in off years and 65 during Olympic years. Chance hasn't done enough at the junior/FILA JR level for me to even put him as the best wrestler of his year, over Kyle Snyder.

Am I reading this thread correctly ??? BEST HS WRESTLERS ALL TIME.???????????????????

It is a very SUBJECTIVE thread and it is almost impossible to gauge . Has to be done by decade and by weight class. The BEST from each State during those decades and by weight class. Many wrestlers ascended as they finished HS and many also, descended when moving up in weight.

By numbers alone Troy Nickerson in NYS could be considered the BEST with 5 -NYS titles yet, his 8th/9th/ 10th grade seasons IMO (and others) - if, wrestling back in the late '70s he would never have even qualified for a NYS Tourney until possibly his junior year. He wouldnt have beaten guys like Thomas/ Palacio/ Bury/ Bousakis. etc.

The DOMINANCE Jesse Jantzen displayed would also, make him a consideration yet, as a 9th/ 10th/ 11th grader guys from the '70s-'80s might have handed him his jock !! Frank DeAngelis was this kind of good.

Man against child was basically what Adam Mariano displayed in High School. Saw him mainly on video.

My best in HS would have= Jeff Thomas/ Michael Macchia/ Mark Iacovelli/ Frank DeAngelis/ Troy Bousakis/ Al Palacio/ Bob Bury/ Dan Hunt AND a whole bunch more the BEST in their weights at different points in their 4 -5 HS seasons.

btw- How tough was a kid like Dan Hunt to win 3-NYS Titles at the same weight for three years in a decade that was very deep with talent.